Cage Match

Page 4 of 6<123456>
December 1st, 2023 at 10:28:06 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: GenoDRPh
And yet, here you are...

He has some innovating ideas on curing some of the world's technical problems. Social problems? Not so much.

I do enjoy, and have more than zero interest in, talking to the people on this forum.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 1st, 2023 at 2:14:51 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
Most people are hypocrites; I'm probably a hypocrite, from time to time, despite my attempts to avoid that.

What are some of these, 'False promises?' He owns multiple companies, so I would very much expect him to overhype to the point of outright lying. If nothing else, I'd give him credit because, unlike those pu$$!3$ sitting in board rooms all day, he's willing to put his name on his bullcrap.

If his fans are Conservatives, then they probably outright encourage the above, so that's why they're seen as annoying. I don't encourage it, but I definitely expect it. In any event, the market will decide; I don't think people should buy Teslas anyway.

Of course, it's a status symbol vehicle and a, "Look at me, I care about the environment!", proclamation all rolled up into one. And, much like you're claiming about Elon Musk, those people are hypocrites and will likely continue to buy Teslas as they continue to claim about Musk.

Without even leaving Tesla which (in my view is one of his less obscene examples, but you seem to like it) Musk claiming in 2019, that Teslas would be operating robotaxis by the end of 2020 (and every Tesla owner would get 30k a year in revenue from allowing their cars to oeprate as robotaxis while the owner slept.)

https://www.thestreet.com/electric-vehicles/elon-musk-tesla-promise-depreciation#:~:text=Musk%20in%202019%20claimed%20that,to%20moonlight%20as%20driverless%20taxis.

Cybertruck coming soon this year, last year, year before, year prior, etc...?
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44937760/tesla-cybertruck-nearing-production/

"Teslas can drive safer than a human driver right now," Musk (this was not this year, this was 2016, when you know....)

And, that is just public promises at Tesla hype events and such, some sketchy stuff is said to investors. And, the stock price is somehow more than all American car companies combined (with a fraction of the revenue of any of them....) Some sketchy stuff is going on behind the scenes. But, I feels a lot of people who buy this stock are going to get burned.
December 1st, 2023 at 2:25:49 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
Without even leaving Tesla which (in my view is one of his less obscene examples, but you seem to like it) Musk claiming in 2019, that Teslas would be operating robotaxis by the end of 2020 (and every Tesla owner would get 30k a year in revenue from allowing their cars to oeprate as robotaxis while the owner slept.)

https://www.thestreet.com/electric-vehicles/elon-musk-tesla-promise-depreciation#:~:text=Musk%20in%202019%20claimed%20that,to%20moonlight%20as%20driverless%20taxis.

Cybertruck coming soon this year, last year, year before, year prior, etc...?
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44937760/tesla-cybertruck-nearing-production/

"Teslas can drive safer than a human driver right now," Musk (this was not this year, this was 2016, when you know....)

And, that is just public promises at Tesla hype events and such, some sketchy stuff is said to investors. And, the stock price is somehow more than all American car companies combined (with a fraction of the revenue of any of them....) Some sketchy stuff is going on behind the scenes. But, I feels a lot of people who buy this stock are going to get burned.

I just keep name-dropping Tesla because, Twitter aside, I'm not sure I can actually name any of his other companies and certainly can't be bothered to look.

Do you have the quote about the robotaxis? The article to which you linked didn't quote it, specifically. The quotes that they did have, in part, had Musk saying, "...I believe (Tesla) you are buying an appreciating asset, not a depreciating asset."

Obviously, what's actually quoted is a very bold statement and, I agree, questionable to be coming from the CEO of a company. Smartly enough, Musk qualified that statement with, 'I believe,' which would give him some legal cushion if people bought Teslas with an expectation that they would appreciate (because of what Musk said), but then failed to do so.

I don't know how I feel about the statement that they are safer than a human driver; if I cared, then I'd have to look into some specifics. We'd also want to look at real world conditions, for which I suspect the sample size is really small for the self-driving vehicles.

Well, he definitely pumps the stock with his statements; I think we can agree there's no doubt about that. It's pretty unusual for the CEO to also be acting as the sort of promoter for the entire company. Some people also seem to really love Musk, so perhaps there is a cult of personality sort of thing at play with people wanting to invest in Tesla. In the meantime, savvy traders who recognize the cult of personality, if one exists, might be intelligent enough to know that the smaller investors are going to, essentially, pump the stock up themselves and they'll just try to dump at the right time.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 1st, 2023 at 2:59:55 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I just keep name-dropping Tesla because, Twitter aside, I'm not sure I can actually name any of his other companies and certainly can't be bothered to look.

Do you have the quote about the robotaxis? The article to which you linked didn't quote it, specifically. The quotes that they did have, in part, had Musk saying, "...I believe (Tesla) you are buying an appreciating asset, not a depreciating asset."

Obviously, what's actually quoted is a very bold statement and, I agree, questionable to be coming from the CEO of a company. Smartly enough, Musk qualified that statement with, 'I believe,' which would give him some legal cushion if people bought Teslas with an expectation that they would appreciate (because of what Musk said), but then failed to do so.

I don't know how I feel about the statement that they are safer than a human driver; if I cared, then I'd have to look into some specifics. We'd also want to look at real world conditions, for which I suspect the sample size is really small for the self-driving vehicles.

Well, he definitely pumps the stock with his statements; I think we can agree there's no doubt about that. It's pretty unusual for the CEO to also be acting as the sort of promoter for the entire company. Some people also seem to really love Musk, so perhaps there is a cult of personality sort of thing at play with people wanting to invest in Tesla. In the meantime, savvy traders who recognize the cult of personality, if one exists, might be intelligent enough to know that the smaller investors are going to, essentially, pump the stock up themselves and they'll just try to dump at the right time.

(Again, this is really bad, especially for Tesla customers and investors, but I do not even think it is anywhere near his more egregious activities.)

Look, I love the idea of electric vehicles, and I don't even hate Tesla, but even this company does a lot of sketch stuff to inflate value. And, does everyone do this to some degree? Sure, but Musk/Tesla are on a whole different level of insane promises. If they were just making general claims like, "Teslas are solid cars and we are slowly working on self-driving tech in the background, but we have no idea when it will be feature complete for a release," that would be fine, but, "buy a Tesla or you will lose money because you will be the owner of your own taxi business while you sleep," is a different level of crazy.
December 1st, 2023 at 6:49:42 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288
Read some of his tweets and try not to hate him. He is a sad sad man. And an anti-Semite.

I’m not going to stop using Twitter though. I suspect it will outlast his ownership.

I think I have read most of his tweets and posts that have been quoted by the news, I don't hate him. I just don't care enough about him to hate him. If some random Joe Schmoe said those things I wouldn't hate them either. Why would I care what they say or think?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 2nd, 2023 at 6:17:14 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: DRich
I think I have read most of his tweets and posts that have been quoted by the news, I don't hate him. I just don't care enough about him to hate him. If some random Joe Schmoe said those things I wouldn't hate them either. Why would I care what they say or think?

I don’t know… the richest man in the world might have *some* influence over lots of people, organizations, corporations, etc.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 2nd, 2023 at 7:50:28 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I don’t know… the richest man in the world might have *some* influence over lots of people, organizations, corporations, etc.

Agree. Like him or not he is one of the most important people in the world. Tesla has basically started the transition from gas to electric cars. I don’t follow what has happened to Twitter much, but he has changed that as well. His ‘bizarreness’ adds to the public’s interest in him.
December 2nd, 2023 at 11:39:08 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I guess I am just different. I don't think that I have ever hated anyone.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 2nd, 2023 at 12:50:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Another big player has dropped 'X"

Wal*Mart.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 2nd, 2023 at 5:45:20 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96

You never heard of SpaceX?

What, do you live in a cave?

see wiki: "Space Exploration Technologies Corp., commonly referred to as SpaceX, is an American spacecraft manufacturer, launch service provider, defense contractor and satellite communications company headquartered in Hawthorne, California. The company was founded in 2002 by Elon Musk with the goal of reducing space transportation costs and to colonize Mars. The company currently operates the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets along with the Dragon spacecraft.

The company offers internet service via its Starlink satellites, which became the largest-ever satellite constellation in January 2020 and as of November 2023 comprised more than 5,000 small satellites in orbit.[7]

Meanwhile, the company is developing Starship, a human-rated, fully-reusable, super heavy-lift launch system for interplanetary and orbital spaceflight. On its first flight in April 2023, it became the largest and most powerful rocket ever flown. The second flight took place in November 2023."
Page 4 of 6<123456>