In the News II

January 14th, 2024 at 5:33:23 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Tanko
Anti-Communist China candidate wins presidential election in Taiwan.

Xiden immediately throws Taiwan under the bus.

'Biden stresses US 'does not support independence' for Taiwan'

"We do not support independence," Biden told reporters when asked for comment on DPP candidate William Lai’s victory..."

'Taiwan election: Joe Biden says US does not support independence - South China Morning Post (turn off cookies to read)

'US President Joe Biden and his top diplomat sought to reassure Beijing in the immediate aftermath of Saturday’s sensitive Taiwan presidential election that saw William Lai Ching-te brought to power against the wishes of mainland China.'

“We do not support independence,” Biden told reporters.

Doesn't matter what any President says. Thanks to Trump. That's his legacy.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 14th, 2024 at 5:36:21 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

"We do not support independence," Biden told reporters when asked for comment on DPP candidate William Lai’s victory..."

'Taiwan election: Joe Biden says US does not support independence - South China Morning Post (turn off cookies to read)

'US President Joe Biden and his top diplomat sought to reassure Beijing in the immediate aftermath of Saturday’s sensitive Taiwan presidential election that saw William Lai Ching-te brought to power against the wishes of mainland China.'

I read a few articles about this. I am embarrassed to say I was unaware that there was and is no official policy that Taiwan is a country independent of the People’s Republic of China. Just all of our support is unofficial. I am surprised that Biden has overridden the unofficial policy of the US wanting an independent Taiwan by clearly and unequivocally stating the US DOES NOT support an independent Taiwan.

I wish terapined was still here as I’d love his take on this.
January 14th, 2024 at 6:18:40 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
official things are different

used to be, Taiwan 'was China' officially and represented China in the UN

Biden for once didn't shoot from the lip on this I think
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 14th, 2024 at 6:20:22 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: SOOPOO

I read a few articles about this. I am embarrassed to say I was unaware that there was and is no official policy that Taiwan is a country independent of the People’s Republic of China. Just all of our support is unofficial. I am surprised that Biden has overridden the unofficial policy of the US wanting an independent Taiwan by clearly and unequivocally stating the US DOES NOT support an independent Taiwan.

The US hasn't recognized Taiwan as a country since at least 1979, and even beforehand. The official position has always been One China, and the unofficial position has always been we will defend Taiwan. Nothing Joe has said has changed that.
January 14th, 2024 at 8:40:25 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: GenoDRPh

The US hasn't recognized Taiwan as a country since at least 1979, and even beforehand. The official position has always been One China, and the unofficial position has always been we will defend Taiwan. Nothing Joe has said has changed that.

As I said, I guess I’m ignorant on the subject….. can you find me one quote/link/example of any of Biden’s predecessors specifically stating ‘US does not support’ an independent Taiwan?
January 14th, 2024 at 6:34:10 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: GenoDRPh

As I said, I guess I’m ignorant on the subject….. can you find me one quote/link/example of any of Biden’s predecessors specifically stating ‘US does not support’ an independent Taiwan?

There are myriad examples of US Presidents since Carter supporting the One China Policy. I'll go back 20 years:

On December 10, 2003, W Bush, with Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao at his side in the Oval Office, delivered a firm warning yesterday to the Taiwanese government over its aspirations for independence, telling the island's leaders not to pursue a referendum that has angered mainland China. Going back even further, Bush touched off the controversy in a morning TV interview in 2001 when he was asked if the US would defend Taiwan with the full force of the US military. “Whatever it took to help Taiwan defend herself,” he replied. In later interviews, Bush said military action was “certainly an option,” but he also said that Taiwan should not declare its independence. The US has long supported a “one China” principle, but has insisted that Taiwan and China resolve their differences peacefully. Bush and his aides said the president’s remarks were not meant to signal a change in policy.

Obama in 2009 said "“I have been clear in the past that my administration fully supports a one-China policy...We don’t want to change that policy and that approach.”

In December 2016, Obama said "That status quo, although not completely satisfactory to any of the parties involved, has kept the peace and allowed the Taiwanese to be a pretty successful ... economy and a people who have a high degree of self-determination," Obama said.

When Donnie took office, he and Xi have spoken by phone, and Trump “agreed, at the request of President Xi, to honor our ‘one China’ policy.”

At one point, to the aghast of his aides and diplomats, Donnie also privately said to a GOP Senator “Taiwan is like two feet from China. “We are eight thousand miles away. If they invade, there isn’t a fucking thing we can do about it.

So, by their own public statements, no US President since at least 2001m and as far back as 1979, has ever supported Taiwan independence.

Information is widely available for further research.
January 15th, 2024 at 5:51:38 AM permalink
Tanko
The 'One China Policy' recognizes the PRC as the sole legal government of China. It only acknowledges, rather than recognizes, the Chinese position that Taiwan is part of China. The US has never given in to Chinese demands that it recognize Chinese sovereignty over Taiwan.

Since Carter, US presidents have committed to honoring the policy.

Xiden put a nation of 24 million people in danger of imminent attack, when he became the first president to publicly state the US does not support independence for Taiwan.

Since he does not support independence for Taiwan, he is the the first US president to publicly support Chinese sovereignty over Taiwan.

Possibly an agreement where he traded that statement in return for Xi promising not to invade Taiwan until after the election.
January 15th, 2024 at 6:55:55 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
The 'One China Policy' recognizes the PRC as the sole legal government of China. It only acknowledges, rather than recognizes, the Chinese position that Taiwan is part of China. The US has never given in to Chinese demands that it recognize Chinese sovereignty over Taiwan.

Since Carter, US presidents have committed to honoring the policy.

Xiden put a nation of 24 million people in danger of imminent attack, when he became the first president to publicly state the US does not support independence for Taiwan.

Since he does not support independence for Taiwan, he is the the first US president to publicly support Chinese sovereignty over Taiwan.

Possibly an agreement where he traded that statement in return for Xi promising not to invade Taiwan until after the election.

Every President from Carter to present publicly did not support independence for Taiwan.

Can you point to public comments from any US President in that time period that supported Taiwan independence?
January 15th, 2024 at 7:24:23 AM permalink
SOOPOO
I feel like I haven’t known what was going on for the past few decades! I always thought we considered Taiwan an independent nation. If you are born in Taiwan, what does your passport say?

If you asked this simple question, what would the answer have been?

Does the USA recognize Taiwan as a country independent of the PRC?

how would have Bush Jr., Obama, Trump, and Biden answer during their terms?

How would DeSantis or Haley answer?
January 15th, 2024 at 7:40:11 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
I feel like I haven’t known what was going on for the past few decades! I always thought we considered Taiwan an independent nation. If you are born in Taiwan, what does your passport say?

If you asked this simple question, what would the answer have been?

Does the USA recognize Taiwan as a country independent of the PRC?

how would have Bush Jr., Obama, Trump, and Biden answer during their terms?

How would DeSantis or Haley answer?

The specifications of what a passport from Taiwan looks like and what information it contains is widely available for further research.

The USA does not recognize Taiwan as a country independent of the PRC, as I noted previously. Further information is widely available.

Statement of Bush Jr., Obama, Trump and Biden are noted in previous posts, and are all the same, I.e. support for the One China Policy, which disavows at this time an independent Taiwan. Indeed, Trump would cede Taiwan to China should China invade, as he said himself. So Biden didn't say anything his predecessors haven't already said before.

DeSentis's or Haley's thoughts on the matter are, to me, unknown. Mostly because I don't care for either of those two.