The Trump Arrest thread

March 22nd, 2024 at 1:43:30 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: GenoDRPh
Quote: ams288
Anyone believe him when he says he has 500 million in cash?

I believe he only has$500 million. The rest of his wealth is tied up in RE, which are all mortgaged.
"Nasty judge man taking your candidate's fighting fund.
"
Pah! He never had $500,000,000 of liquidity.
March 23rd, 2024 at 5:46:41 AM permalink
OnceDear
“Trump now claims that he has almost $500 million in cash, but his lawyers recently told the appellate court that he has no means to post a $454 million bond,” tweeted former federal prosecutor Renato Mariotti. “One of them is lying, and you can expect the court to ask Trump’s lawyers about this.”
March 23rd, 2024 at 6:45:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I've heard there are 4 other civil suits in the works. One is from capitol police from January 6.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 24th, 2024 at 4:44:55 AM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: rxwine
I've heard there are 4 other civil suits in the works. One is from capitol police from January 6.

That's going to be yet more great optics for the party of law and order.

Mind you what are they suing for? If it's civil liability on that day while drumph was in post, I can see him successfully claiming immunity and the case not going very far.
March 25th, 2024 at 3:16:31 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: OnceDear
That's going to be yet more great optics for the party of law and order.

Mind you what are they suing for? If it's civil liability on that day while drumph was in post, I can see him successfully claiming immunity and the case not going very far.

"In addition to suing Trump, the officers named more than a dozen others as defendants. Among them are members of the far-right extremist groups the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers, as well as Roger Stone, a longtime Trump ally. The Capitol Police officers sought civil damages for the physical and emotional injuries they said they suffered as a result of the Jan. 6 attack."

"Washington — A federal appeals court on Friday allowed a lawsuit brought by a group of U.S. Capitol Police officers against former President Donald Trump to move forward, ruling that Trump is not entitled to absolute immunity from civil lawsuits. The suit focuses on Trump's alleged conduct surrounding the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on the U.S. Capitol."

"The three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit based its decision on a ruling in a separate case brought by two Capitol Police officers and a group of House Democrats"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-jan-6-immunity-us-capitol-police-officers-civil-suit-appeals-court/

I know of the one involving six officers. It was filed in mid-2001. I didn't know about the other one.

He has lost on immunity so far. He seems to be the person who had the most money among those I see named. Do some of the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers have money? Stone does not appear to have much. If they don't get a judgment against Trump, I am not sure they will get a whole lot. Will he have anything left to pay?

Anyone in favor of the NY case with the $450 million penalty, and that level of bond needed for appeal, is not dealing in reality or fairness. The idea that a lawsuit judgment and subsequent appeal bond can be so high as to make it nearly impossible for an appeal is absurd. I'm not saying that there is no merit to the case but I don't think anyone wants a bunch of judges taking away avenues of appeal by making the cost of the bond too hard to make seems to go counter to how people should be treated...even Trump.

The judge and the AG should have had conferences with Trump's team and came to a reasonable number backed up by ways to collect the whole amount if he loses.

It will be okay until they use that as a tactic to "get" more people. At this point, James is still the winner in court even if the bond is reduced to a workable number. She did exactly what she said she was going to do when she ran for office.

We'll see what happens.
March 25th, 2024 at 4:50:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: RonC

Anyone in favor of the NY case with the $450 million penalty, and that level of bond needed for appeal, is not dealing in reality or fairness. The idea that a lawsuit judgment and subsequent appeal bond can be so high as to make it nearly impossible for an appeal is absurd.

The defendant has gone out of the way for years to over-emphasize his wealth. Even over the weekend he said he had enough cash on hand.

Every defendant is expected not to continuously act in contempt of court proceedings. He ran with that as much as possible.

And third, the case, is all about inflating wealth to his advantage, and deflating wealth when it is a tax advantage through misrepresentation.

Hard to shed a tear for unfairness, IMO.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 25th, 2024 at 6:03:46 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Anyone in favor of the NY case with the $450 million penalty, and that level of bond needed for appeal, is not dealing in reality or fairness. The idea that a lawsuit judgment and subsequent appeal bond can be so high as to make it nearly impossible for an appeal is absurd.

He literally just “Truthed” the other day that he has half a billion in cash. Seems perfectly fair to me!

Isn’t today the big day? Seize, baby, seize!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 25th, 2024 at 6:38:01 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
He literally just “Truthed” the other day that he has half a billion in cash. Seems perfectly fair to me!

Isn’t today the big day? Seize, baby, seize!

I expected no less from you. If it was you that was sued, lost in the first court, had a judgment for all the money you had against you which left you with no way to appeal either the judgment or the bond, I would bet that you might feel a little different about it.

I guess most of us don't have to worry about it because you can't get much blood out of a turnip.

Maybe he will come up with some bucks.
March 25th, 2024 at 7:04:37 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I expected no less from you. If it was you that was sued, lost in the first court, had a judgment for all the money you had against you which left you with no way to appeal either the judgment or the bond, I would bet that you might feel a little different about it.

This hypothetical is dumb because I am not engaged in a lifelong pursuit of financial fraud and deception like your party’s presidential nominee.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 25th, 2024 at 7:10:10 AM permalink
rxwine
Man, I'd love for a judge to set my bond to only the cash I claimed to have on hand. Anyone who can't afford that either is poor, living paycheck to paycheck, or bragging way too much.