The Trump Arrest thread

March 25th, 2024 at 8:57:08 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: RonC
I expected no less from you. If it was you that was sued, lost in the first court, had a judgment for all the money you had against you which left you with no way to appeal either the judgment or the bond, I would bet that you might feel a little different about it.

I guess most of us don't have to worry about it because you can't get much blood out of a turnip.

Maybe he will come up with some bucks.

Trump can-and did-appeal the bond amount. Trump can-and will-appeal the judge's decision.
March 25th, 2024 at 8:57:08 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
March 25th, 2024 at 9:34:20 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Hopefully this will make RonC happier.

Appeals court gives Donny 10 days to put up $175 million instead of the $454 million.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 25th, 2024 at 9:44:15 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't really expect Trump's evangelical base to desert him in the hush money case even though there's no chance in heaven, hell, or purgatory, he will ever repent... Or even admit it.

I don't think they will even be able to give him excuse that he is a repentant sinner. Because he won't do it. But they will give him a pass.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 25th, 2024 at 10:45:30 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
It isn't about making me "happy"...that is yet another crap comment.

It is about the size of the judgment relative to the actual damages and trying, at least for a while, to keep the appeals from happening.

I have no problem with him having to pay all of it with interest if the appeals are heard and decisions handed down. Just as I am okay with him doing jail time or house arrest at his smallest house if he is found guilty of a felony.

Of course, you guys know that already...so say whatever...
March 25th, 2024 at 6:13:45 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
No word on if Jack Smith will indict Donny for his criminally bad golf swing.

https://x.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1772425495310737774?s=46
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 26th, 2024 at 3:46:03 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
Man, I'd love for a judge to set my bond to only the cash I claimed to have on hand. Anyone who can't afford that either is poor, living paycheck to paycheck, or bragging way too much.

Exactly. I have known a few people that have been caught on the wrong side of the law. They have had to put hard assets up to guarantee their bond. Generally houses and cars.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 26th, 2024 at 5:27:31 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: DRich
Exactly. I have known a few people that have been caught on the wrong side of the law. They have had to put hard assets up to guarantee their bond. Generally houses and cars.

Criminal or civil? The bond for criminal is to make sure you show up and to keep you out of jail.

If Trump was a flight risk, those bonds would have been higher for him in the criminal cases. He can't go very far since it is kind of hard to slip away from the Secret Service.

I think the ruling yesterday made it a more reasonable bond. It isn't like they can't seize his assets if he loses all appeals. They aren't going anywhere and they have someone in place to make sure nothing weird happens between now and then. The interest will keep accruing and the case will move on to the next levels.

James' attacks are good for Trump in the realm of the election. Some times you just need to shut up and take the potential win.
March 26th, 2024 at 5:54:08 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: RonC
Criminal or civil? The bond for criminal is to make sure you show up and to keep you out of jail.

If Trump was a flight risk, those bonds would have been higher for him in the criminal cases. He can't go very far since it is kind of hard to slip away from the Secret Service.

I think the ruling yesterday made it a more reasonable bond. It isn't like they can't seize his assets if he loses all appeals. They aren't going anywhere and they have someone in place to make sure nothing weird happens between now and then. The interest will keep accruing and the case will move on to the next levels.

James' attacks are good for Trump in the realm of the election. Some times you just need to shut up and take the potential win.

I don't see why it should matter if it is criminal or civil. I think you could argue the bonds should be lower in civil cases but once the bond is set it should have to be paid by someone.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 26th, 2024 at 6:45:16 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: DRich
I don't see why it should matter if it is criminal or civil. I think you could argue the bonds should be lower in civil cases but once the bond is set it should have to be paid by someone.

The State has all the leverage over properties and cash in NY based on the judgment. The property is not going to jump bond and flee to another country. The monitor is in place and can make sure that money is not moved without their knowledge.

A criminal defendant who does not care can leave the country, state, or just skip appearances and stay in hiding. No one is watching every move.

Two very different things, especially in this case since the Judge (rightfully) put in place close monitoring of Trump world.