Continuum Showcase/Scify Show

Page 4 of 4<1234
August 8th, 2013 at 1:35:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I think I know now how the average layman feels when I talk about Babylon 5...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 8th, 2013 at 6:21:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I think I know now how the average layman feels when I talk about Babylon 5...

The basic set up is pretty simple. In the very near future, some or all of the world government collapse in bankruptcy, leading to a future where corporations take over. It is a dystopia, but not along the lines of Mad Max, more of a benign future for most people. A rebel faction pulls off a 9-11 type bombing that destroys a building or buildings. They are condemned to death, but pull off a time travel jump 65 years into the past. The policewoman, wearing a high tech suit and carrying weapons jumps in after them and is similarly transported.

Since 65 years is not that long, most people can react with their grandparents, and the oldest one is there when he is born. The two most powerful men in the future (on opposite sides and in their 80's) are half brothers and teenagers in the present.

Keira comes back armed to the teeth. Protective gear, communications equipment, weapons, tracking devices, computers, sensors, etc. She inadvertently makes contact with the kingmaker at age 18 because he has a prototype of his comm gear in his barn. He is able to guide her in the difficulties of living 65 years in the past (she has never driven a gasoline powered vehicle).

Canadian SyFY TV series can be more angst filled, and wordier than American series. They are also a little more morally ambiguous. The good guys do some bad things, and the bad guys are sometimes motivated by understandable objectives.
August 8th, 2013 at 8:39:15 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Pacomartin,
Why did Kagame blow up the building during our present time?
I was thinking Kagame had no other choice but to kill himself before he was born, since he did hours before he actually was born.
Apparently the show was implying there would be a paradox if the same person was in two places at the same time or he was trying to influence himself by creating an event the same day he was born.
August 8th, 2013 at 11:35:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Pacomartin,
Why did Kagame blow up the building during our present time?

Season 2, episode 9 Alec and Emily go to the movies to see Looper, and talk about time paradoxes.

I don't know why. Your answer would seem to be correct, but they are playing fast and loose with the conventions of time travel.

It seems as if the events that have happened are so big, that they would have known about them in the future. It seems fairly certain that they are changing the future, but they keep teasing you with speculation.
August 9th, 2013 at 1:11:25 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: Pacomartin
Season 2, episode 9 Alec and Emily go to the movies to see Looper, and talk about time paradoxes.

I don't know why. Your answer would seem to be correct, but they are playing fast and loose with the conventions of time travel.

It seems as if the events that have happened are so big, that they would have known about them in the future. It seems fairly certain that they are changing the future, but they keep teasing you with speculation.

I thought there was some mention of history being erased in 2053, but it might be from after 2053. I thought Jason and Kiera knew about the 2013 bombing, so I am confused on the facts. It's kind of like whatever Google shows for search, everyone assumes it's true and the most accepted answers are the top results. This is often a theme in science fiction how public consciousness can be greatly manipulated to the point of absurdity without even able to be questioned. You can see from the slaves in the same episode how they have been altered to not even know they are slaves. I guess people have to either buy in or be punished into being a part of this system where they are vulnerable to manipulation.

Obviously it would work only in Canada being part of a bombing scheme and being able to not do jail time, because in America it would be a crime. I never understood why Julian didn't do jail time for that or were they part of the attempted murder charges of Fonnegra? On a side note, they're really making the chief look so tiny in so many scenes, but no mentions of how short he is. Maybe another Canadian thing being highly PC.

Also, are you sure it's ep 9? I just watched it and didn't see the movie for the second time in the episode. In Ep 9, Kiera wants to kill Theseus.
August 9th, 2013 at 6:31:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Also, are you sure it's ep 9? I just watched it and didn't see the movie for the second time in the episode. In Ep 9, Kiera wants to kill Theseus.

Episode 6.

This is often a theme in science fiction how public consciousness can be greatly manipulated to the point of absurdity without even able to be questioned.

“Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.” ― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World.

I'll have to watch some of the episodes again.
December 8th, 2014 at 8:59:11 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Have to admit I kept forgetting about this show in season 3 on SyFy, but the show must have collapsed and Showcase hasn't yet renewed for season 4. Not yet cancelled, but not renewed as expected and late approaching never. Somewhere i read something about the female lead leaving the show, but I may have misunderstood. If not, maybe this is holding it up.
December 9th, 2014 at 5:03:37 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
It was just renewed for a short 6 episode final season 4.

I'm glad it was renewed for one more "season" but I am disappointed that it is only for 6 episodes.

On rhe bright side, they do get a chance to wrap up the series. Not every cancelled show gets that chance.

I'm also glad they didn't get the chance to pull a "Babylon 5" which crammed the remaining main plot into season 4 because of renewal uncertainty, and when it was renewed season 5 was pretty weak.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 11th, 2014 at 1:09:23 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Stinks it's going away so soon considering it seemed to have legs to run for years based on quality. They're out there crossing fingers hoping netflix picks it up. I wonder how the plot making corporations the bad guy hurt it considering the opening introduction was changed in season three.
January 25th, 2016 at 2:42:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Dalex64
It was just renewed for a short 6 episode final season 4. I'm glad it was renewed for one more "season" but I am disappointed that it is only for 6 episodes.

I watched the final 6 episodes. It picked up this season partly because it focused more on basics. The finale was very bittersweet with it's comment on personal sacrifice for the greater good.

Page 4 of 4<1234