Continuum Showcase/Scify Show

Page 2 of 4<1234>
July 4th, 2013 at 8:21:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The evaluation of NBCUniversal done in 2010, had the Syfy network worth about half of USA network. The NBC broadcast network was worth negative dollars.

NBC Network : -$600 million
USA Network: $11.7 billion
Syfy: $6.3 billion
CNBC: $3.9 billion
MSNBC: $2.9 billion
Bravo: $2.6 billion
Broadcast division as a whole (including NBC, Telemundo and local stations): $3.5 billion
Universal Studios: $4 billion

Bill Gorman September 27th, 2010
July 5th, 2013 at 1:49:53 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
EB,
Altered reality themes appeal to me and I never get sick of them. They do have a plan for the show and rules for time travel within the show, but the only confusing part for me is how could liber8 beat corporate dominance. There at some point are going to have to be some really compelling ideas or else it will seem weak, if it does happen which I doubt. There isn't much hope for this in the real world I can see. I think the biggest risk is having the actor playing old man Alec Sadler, aka the smoking man, unexpectedly pass away(75 now). I'm pleased with all the actors and think it's going to get good.

Zippy, The Lost Room was perfect and really sparked the imagination with all the artifacts. Everyone was hoping it would become a series, but it never happened.
July 5th, 2013 at 8:12:28 AM permalink
Pacomartin
If you are confused, these are four of the principal characters.

July 13th, 2013 at 1:28:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
They broadcast the 6th episode in the USA (Canada is up to the 10th episode).

Alec Sadler (age 18) goes on a date to Looper, the Bruce Willis movie. They discuss the ramifications of time travel, which is an interesting inside look at a series about time travel.

The show is surprisingly emotional for this type of TV series.
July 13th, 2013 at 1:32:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What famous author was it who said, if time travel
is possible in the future, where are they? Why
aren't they here? Of course the time travel crowd
has a thousand reasons, but its a good question
nonetheless.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 13th, 2013 at 4:07:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
What famous author was it who said, if time travel is possible in the future, where are they?

Time Travel Joke

Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1889), was a book that my mother read to me when I was 5, which is the first time that I have heard of time travel.

But the early books all seemed to be built around the idea that you ended up in some other time by accident. The Time Machine, published in 1895 allowed the operator select his time deliberately.
July 13th, 2013 at 8:48:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Travel to the future seems plausible. To the past,
not so much. Too many what if's. To the future,
no what if's at all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 13th, 2013 at 10:30:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
no what if's at all.

Well we know for certainty that time flows at different rates.

In October 1971, Joseph C. Hafele, a physicist, and Richard E. Keating, an astronomer, took four cesium-beam atomic clocks aboard commercial airliners. They flew twice around the world, first eastward, then westward, and compared the clocks against others that remained at the United States Naval Observatory. When reunited, the three sets of clocks were found to disagree with one another, and their differences were consistent with the predictions of special and general relativity.

Now the difference was only measured in nano-seconds, as commercial airlines cannot fly very fast relative to the speed of light. But the principal was established for a potentially faster moving vehicle.

The clock aboard the plane moving eastward, in the direction of the Earth's rotation, had a greater velocity (so it was behind the clock on the ground).
The clock aboard the plane moving westward, against the Earth's rotation, had a lower velocity than one on the ground (so it was ahead of the clock on the ground).

All three clocks moved forward, but at different rates. This kind of time travel into the future is the source for the Planet of the Apes movies.

Feynman, the great physicist, considered that interactions between matter and anti-matter could be interpreted as particles going forward and backward in time. But he had little to say about complex systems.
July 13th, 2013 at 11:05:21 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
no what if's at all.

Would you announce to the world you were from the future?
July 14th, 2013 at 12:41:26 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
Page 2 of 4<1234>