No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)

4 members have voted

October 3rd, 2022 at 5:49:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: DRich
What news?
It is really good to see you posting again! I watched several hours of the Ian damage and you weren't around. I hope you get along with your sister. Sorry about mom, she was probably comfortable in her own home.

A lot of us old folks don't have enough time left to really make a place comfortable and how we like it. It would be awful that late in life to lose all your memorabilia.
I only went to Fl. once, and I hated it. Arizona is bad enough.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 3rd, 2022 at 6:13:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
The idea that it does not work causes it not to work. When you live in a county that systemically casts others as outsiders or threats, everyone is going to be against them, it's a self-fulfilling prophesy.

The only people who make mixing ethnically or culturally difficult are the ones that make all these pronouncements how someone else is not right or too different. It's difficult enough to have a regular relationship without families, friends or stranger pronouncing disapproval for various dumb reasons. No one has to mix at all, but making it difficult for those that choose to is the usual old narrow-minded prejudice at work. Someone who has strong religious differences is going to have trouble with someone really different than them, but that's also the stupidity of religion,

Sure you can get involved with anyone who is wrong for you, and they may hide who they really are, but that's true regardless of culture, ethnicity or race.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 3rd, 2022 at 6:21:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Speaking of religion, many religions frown on marrying outside that religion. It's supposed to be for some good or divine reason. To me, it just shows how weak their religion is that they need to insulate their members from outsiders.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 3rd, 2022 at 6:22:13 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph

A lot of us old folks don't have enough time left to really make a place comfortable and how we like it. It would be awful that late in life to lose all your memorabilia.

Memorabilia is overrated
I got rid of most of mine
Anything I thought was valuable or interesting I boxed up and sent it to my nephew
I had a lot of Grateful Dead Memorabilia
You gather a lot over the years if you see a band over 100 times.
My nephew gladly accepted all that junk. In fact he wanted it all.
I don't miss it at all
Life is about experiences and living in the moment.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 3rd, 2022 at 6:26:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: terapined
Memorabilia is overrated
I got rid of most of mine
Anything I thought was valuable or interesting I boxed up and sent it to my nephew
I had a lot of Grateful Dead Memorabilia
You gather a lot over the years if you see a band over 100 times.
My nephew gladly accepted all that junk. In fact he wanted it all.
I don't miss it at all
Life is about experiences and living in the moment.

Did you have any of this stuff?

https://www.ebay.com/b/Original-Grateful-Dead-Memorabilia/29904/bn_7113225867
October 3rd, 2022 at 6:36:05 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine

I looked over that junk
Boring
I gave my nephew the good stuff
Multiple copies of the magazines Golden Road (very profesional west coast magazine), Unbroken Chain (east coast underground magazine) and Relix (dedicated to taping shows)
I also saved all my Duprees Diamond Blues handouts.
Those were printed up by deadheads, supported by advertisements and had all the latest tour news and set lists. Quite interesting. The days before the internet when we depended on Duprees for the most important news to deadheads, recent set lists. I always looked for a Duprees handout whenever I hit a new show
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 3rd, 2022 at 7:00:06 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
No, it does not work. You do not get this because you live in a society where it unusually mostly works. Has nothing to do with "casting as outsiders." It is about outsiders not fitting in. Ever see some YT videos of Japan? It is all very orderly. They have unmanned automats where people clean up after themselves. In the USA they would be trashed in an hour. Let enough outsiders in and they would be trashed. And that is only one thing. How do you think an atheist like yourself would fit in society in Saudi Arabia?

It need not be a society like those. Here in the USA we had "white flight" when neighborhoods changed. Today we have "black flight" as those same neighborhoods gentrify. The societies just do not mix.

Really, it is the default. Woke societies who ignore this will sooner or later no longer be societies.

You are conflating religion and race. Religion can influence culture, race cannot. Culture tends to balance out after a few generations (or less) when new people grow up in it (you can look at America where in immigrant families of the past parents did not even Speak English and refused to learn, and by grandchildren they speak nothing but English). Culture is a learned system, and anyone can learn. Race has nothing to do with culture or values.
October 3rd, 2022 at 7:04:05 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Speaking of religion, many religions frown on marrying outside that religion. It's supposed to be for some good or divine reason. To me, it just shows how weak their religion is that they need to insulate their members from outsiders.

Exactly, in fact I think every mainstream religion does. Frown upon is misleading, as it is often prohibited (and in many countries is strictly enforced). In America there may be no law against it, but many churches will cast you out if you marry outside of the religion (or even outside of the sect in various forms of Christianity).
October 4th, 2022 at 2:50:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
You are conflating religion and race. Religion can influence culture, race cannot. Culture tends to balance out after a few generations (or less) when new people grow up in it (you can look at America where in immigrant families of the past parents did not even Speak English and refused to learn, and by grandchildren they speak nothing but English). Culture is a learned system, and anyone can learn. Race has nothing to do with culture or values.

No, I am talking about culture. Culture does not automatically balance out. Look at the Balkans, the different cultures do not get along, have never gotten along, and probably never will get along. India is a mismash of cultures that do not care for each other. Same religion does help, but it is only one of many things.
The President is a fink.
October 4th, 2022 at 3:02:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

It is for a couple reasons. One is that one of the two religions is going to lose the next generation. Speed Dating was invented by some Rabbi who saw so many Jewish people marrying outside the religion and knew that when a Jew marries a Gentile the kids will rarely be raised Jewish.

Otherwise it is more about keeping within your own people. Even in the 1980s if you were Catholic you tended to be around more Catholics than Protestants. Hard to explain, but you were more likely to gravitate to your own group. Part of that was nationality, part where you went to school, but even when you were in a new place and people did not know each other they were more likely to end up around people who were of the same religion.

If you are even a bit religious and you marry outside your religion then many social things get thrown off. Catholics and Jews have Hold Days far more than Protestant religions. Christmas and Hanukkah can have dates weeks off, and if both need to be celebrated then that needs to be overcome. But then there is the biggie, how the kids will be raised. Again, one side loses out on the next generation.
The President is a fink.
Page 4 of 5<12345>