2 votes (15.38%)
No votes (0%)

13 members have voted

November 3rd, 2023 at 6:13:31 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
Sorry, I value my vote too much to waste it on your Nom de plume.

I'll PM you my name if you decide you seriously want to vote for me. I'll probably write-in, "DRich," Libertarian, Florida. Your probability of winning will be unchanged regardless of whether or not I put your actual name.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 3rd, 2023 at 8:07:43 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Walked the dog this morning. Ran into the Trumper lady who was walking her very elderly dog. So chatted. Her lawn is littered by signs for every Republican running for local offices. To make her happy, I do inform her I’ll probably be voting for all of them (there is one so looney I may need to abstain…). She then asks me to vote early….. I tell her as a retired guy I have no problem voting on Election Day, and turnout will be so low there will be no wait when I go on way to gym.

She then says….. I should vote early to combat voter fraud! That the voting machines have a logarithm (I corrected her to algorithm) that ‘knows’ more Republicans vote on Election Day and more Democrats vote early, which eliminates Election Day votes thus favoring the Democrats! I asked her, that in our area, aren’t the Election officials pretty much split 50-50? And that should make it pretty safe that neither side can rig the election? She answered that it’s predetermined by the machines!

I realized arguing with her would be fruitless…. So just continued watching my puppy jump all over her old dog.
November 3rd, 2023 at 8:58:49 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
Walked the dog this morning. Ran into the Trumper lady who was walking her very elderly dog. So chatted. Her lawn is littered by signs for every Republican running for local offices. To make her happy, I do inform her I’ll probably be voting for all of them (there is one so looney I may need to abstain…). She then asks me to vote early….. I tell her as a retired guy I have no problem voting on Election Day, and turnout will be so low there will be no wait when I go on way to gym.

She then says….. I should vote early to combat voter fraud! That the voting machines have a logarithm (I corrected her to algorithm) that ‘knows’ more Republicans vote on Election Day and more Democrats vote early, which eliminates Election Day votes thus favoring the Democrats! I asked her, that in our area, aren’t the Election officials pretty much split 50-50? And that should make it pretty safe that neither side can rig the election? She answered that it’s predetermined by the machines!

I realized arguing with her would be fruitless…. So just continued watching my puppy jump all over her old dog.

Maybe your neighborhood will get lucky and she'll drop over from a heart attack sooner than later.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 3rd, 2023 at 10:08:23 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Mission146
Maybe your neighborhood will get lucky and she'll drop over from a heart attack sooner than later.

That brings up what might be an interesting question:

If someone votes during the early voting process and then dies before the election day, should their vote count?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 3rd, 2023 at 10:09:34 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I'll PM you my name if you decide you seriously want to vote for me. I'll probably write-in, "DRich," Libertarian, Florida. Your probability of winning will be unchanged regardless of whether or not I put your actual name.

That will not be necessary. Anyone foolish enough to vote for me does not deserve my vote.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 3rd, 2023 at 10:16:57 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
That brings up what might be an interesting question:

If someone votes during the early voting process and then dies before the election day, should their vote count?

That is an interesting question.

I think what I would do is conditionally say no. In theory, the jurisdiction in question should be able to determine the number of people to have died (within that jurisdiction) between the start of early voting and Election Day. At that point, they could see if the number of people dead, had they all voted for the presumed winner, would be sufficient to either change the result or force an automatic recount. If yes, then their votes should be eliminated from the count...but only for any potentially affected offices.
November 3rd, 2023 at 10:17:13 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
That will not be necessary. Anyone foolish enough to vote for me does not deserve my vote.

Haha! I love it!
November 3rd, 2023 at 10:57:05 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
That is an interesting question.

I think what I would do is conditionally say no. In theory, the jurisdiction in question should be able to determine the number of people to have died (within that jurisdiction) between the start of early voting and Election Day. At that point, they could see if the number of people dead, had they all voted for the presumed winner, would be sufficient to either change the result or force an automatic recount. If yes, then their votes should be eliminated from the count...but only for any potentially affected offices.

https://www.ncsl.org/elections-and-campaigns/counting-absentee-ballots-after-a-voter-dies
November 3rd, 2023 at 11:08:36 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: GenoDRPh
https://www.ncsl.org/elections-and-campaigns/counting-absentee-ballots-after-a-voter-dies

Thank you for the interesting link.

I do want to clarify that my response to DRich was not to be taken as an official answer, but per the word should appearing in his query, I interpreted him as soliciting my personal opinion on the matter. I always answer my potential constituents.
November 12th, 2023 at 5:51:20 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
“Free, free faaaaalling”

Doubt any of those clips have circulated in our righties’ bubble.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman