The Smoking Thread

Page 14 of 15« First<1112131415>
May 30th, 2021 at 8:03:35 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
I want to say the thinking is that women aren't going to like the spitting and you're inevitably going to have to spit in front of her sooner or later.

Of course, you could always compromise with her, "I'll start swallowing if you do."

Oh, God! Cheap sex joke. That was beneath me, but too funny to pass up.

I agree that you smell like smoke all day with smoking, but in my experience, smokers tend to date other smokers. I think that I have only dated three women (and one is my current fiancee) who were non-smokers.

The nice thing with the mint, at least imo, is your breath basically always smells like you brushed your teeth within the last two hours. My fiancee seems to basically agree with that, kind of like that smell when the toothpaste/mouthwash has started to fade, but isn't quite gone.

I usually like to let my mouth get completely full of juice and then I just launch it. I'm kidding. Yup, bottle with a twist top. Sometimes a napkin stuffed paper cup in the car, but then I throw it away when I get to my destination.

Yes the napkin/paper towel method is excellent. It is even more crucial if you are forced to use a plastic cup that does not have a top.
May 31st, 2021 at 8:25:56 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I believe, Mission, you have indicated over at WoV that you've quit smoking again

care to comment?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 31st, 2021 at 8:33:40 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: odiousgambit
I believe, Mission, you have indicated over at WoV that you've quit smoking again

care to comment?

Yeah, the Fascists at the FDA have banned menthols. That ban goes into effect next year or the year after.

Chewing tobacco pouches are an excellent replacement that, as it turns out, I actually prefer. That doesn't change the fact that they are Fascists.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 31st, 2021 at 11:38:43 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Yeah, the Fascists at the FDA have banned menthols. That ban goes into effect next year or the year after.

Chewing tobacco pouches are an excellent replacement that, as it turns out, I actually prefer. That doesn't change the fact that they are Fascists.
did you see this thread?

http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/3153/0/#post135852
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 31st, 2021 at 12:15:50 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: odiousgambit

I may have missed that, but I definitely like the chewing tobacco pouches to the exclusion of any desire to try anything else.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 31st, 2021 at 12:27:52 PM permalink
Gandler

I just read a somewhat updated article and there is no timetable, they want to spend the next year evaluating it, and then will come up with a timeframe after that. My guess is it will be legally challenged. It will probably be at least several years (if it does happen at all).

In the article it mentioned that Canada outlawed menthol cigarettes some time ago, and a large portion of menthol smokers simply started buying menthol cigarettes from First Nation Tribes (What Canada calls their Native Americans). Which begs back to my original question, will this apply to cigarettes sold on Indian Reservations? I can't seem to find any clear answer in any official statement. My guess is if this is allowed, Americans will just either buy or order from Indian Reservations (which many Americans in high tax States already do).
June 23rd, 2021 at 6:16:18 PM permalink
Gandler
Has anyone tried IQOS? (Or similar brands from competitors of heat not burn).

Its part of Phillip Morris's initiative to deliver a smoke free future. Basically it has tobacco sticks that are heated to a point where they emit gases that can be inhaled for a hit of nicotine into the lungs and the feel of smoking without combustion of burning tobacco.

It is legally unclear if this will be considered smoke (as far as smoking bans, flavor restrictions, etc...) and probably depends on jurisdiction. My complete guess would be is it is safer than smoking, but not as safe as vaping. The product website seems to be intentionally obtuse with health and risk claims.

Actually I just found an FDA site which approved it as a "modified risk tobacco product" which basically means it is established to be safer than smoking cigarettes (some snus brands are allowed to make similar claims).

I have yet to try it, but I would imagine it would be somewhere in the middle for people who want the sensation of smoking, and vaping does not do it for them, but want a (at least slightly) safer alternative.

I do find it ironic that this is legal in (much of) Europe, but snus (and dip) is still illegal....

https://www.getiqos.com/

https://www.pmi.com/smoke-free-products/iqos-our-tobacco-heating-system

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-authorizes-marketing-iqos-tobacco-heating-system-reduced-exposure-information
June 24th, 2021 at 6:40:47 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Gandler, what are of PA are you in? Sorry if I asked before. Seems like we have an unusually high number of PA residents on this board.

What do you guys get from snus/dip pouches that you don’t get from non-tobacco nicotine pouches?

I could never go back to a real tobacco pouch. I get that the flavor might be preferable, but do you really use any of these products for the flavor? I know I use them for the unmistakable happy chemicals that fire off in the brain as soon as the nicotine hits your blood stream.

Tobacco pouches get too juicy for me, which I hate. I want to absorb the nicotine through my gums. Salivating and sealing the nicotine just upsets my stomach. Spitting is out of the question.
June 24th, 2021 at 7:02:49 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: gamerfreak
Gandler, what are of PA are you in? Sorry if I asked before. Seems like we have an unusually high number of PA residents on this board.

What do you guys get from snus/dip pouches that you don’t get from non-tobacco nicotine pouches?

I could never go back to a real tobacco pouch. I get that the flavor might be preferable, but do you really use any of these products for the flavor? I know I use them for the unmistakable happy chemicals that fire off in the brain as soon as the nicotine hits your blood stream.

Tobacco pouches get too juicy for me, which I hate. I want to absorb the nicotine through my gums. Salivating and sealing the nicotine just upsets my stomach. Spitting is out of the question.

I agree, for me it's all about the nicotine, that is why I try to use tobacco free nicotine products. I have even had phases where I have worn nicotine patches (which are actually awesome by the way, constant stream of nicotine, you get weird dreams if you sleep with them though, I am not somebody who normally remembers dreams). Really smoking is all I try to avoid (except in very specific social circumstances a few times a year), because of the smell and damage to endurance.

I don't live in PA though, I live in GA, its all good.

I do notice a difference in flavor in snus and dip pouches, but nicotine pouches are solid, like you said, flavor is not the main factor. Snus is spitfree and is a good middle ground between dip and nicotine pouches. It used to be more of a challenge to get nicotine pouches (and dip and snus are everywhere), but now you can buy the major brands at virtually any gas station or grocery store (except Walmary oddly, they only sell actual tobacco, not nicotine products, or even vape stuff, I don't know if it's a company policy or just the logistics of the local ones near me).

If health and spitting was not an issue Copenhagen pouches would be my favorite. But, I agree spitting is gross, and dip is more risky for oral health than snus and nicotine pouches. But, they simply have the best flavor (Mint and Original). If it was safe and less gross, dip would easily be my favorite tobacco product for feel and flavor.
June 24th, 2021 at 7:17:05 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: Gandler
I agree, for me it's all about the nicotine, that is why I try to use tobacco free nicotine products. I have even had phases where I have worn nicotine patches (which are actually awesome by the way, constant stream of nicotine, you get weird dreams if you sleep with them though, I am not somebody who normally remembers dreams). Really smoking is all I try to avoid (except in very specific social circumstances a few times a year), because of the smell and damage to endurance.

I don't live in PA though, I live in GA, its all good.

I do notice a difference in flavor in snus and dip pouches, but nicotine pouches are solid, like you said, flavor is not the main factor. Snus is spitfree and is a good middle ground between dip and nicotine pouches. It used to be more of a challenge to get nicotine pouches (and dip and snus are everywhere), but now you can buy the major brands at virtually any gas station or grocery store (except Walmary oddly, they only sell actual tobacco, not nicotine products, or even vape stuff, I don't know if it's a company policy or just the logistics of the local ones near me).

If health and spitting was not an issue Copenhagen pouches would be my favorite. But, I agree spitting is gross, and dip is more risky for oral health than snus and nicotine pouches. But, they simply have the best flavor (Mint and Original). If it was safe and less gross, dip would easily be my favorite tobacco product for feel and flavor.

Hah, now I want to try a nicotine patch.

I fell asleep a few weeks ago with a pouch in. DO NOT recommend but it was probably the best nap I have had in a long time.

I noticed Zyn last time I was at Walmart, not sure about other brands. I have been sticking with Velo which I get from Wawa.
Page 14 of 15« First<1112131415>