The Smoking Thread

Page 12 of 15« First<9101112131415>
May 8th, 2021 at 7:35:19 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
I have not bought chewing tobacco in a long long time (not a fan). But, that sounds pricey. Even the Skoal sounds pricey for PA. Is your city one of those city that does city level tobacco taxes? I just can't see 10 dollars for a pouch of chew (unless you are speaking of one of those massive extra size pouches whatever they are called).

But, yeah fine cut is terrible. Some people like it because the theory is (and it makes sense) that you absorb more nicotine as there is more surface area contact. But, its not worth it to me, not even long cut, I will stick with pouches.

Those little nicotine pouches sufficiently demonstrated to me that I can only handle so much nicotine at one time, so more surface contact is not a huge selling point! The last thing I need to do is be getting out of my car and nearly lose my breakfast everywhere again.

I don't know if there are extra taxes, or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. What did surprise me was that the Skoal pouches were actually a hair more expensive when I was in West Virginia a few days back. I'll have to check on the price of them in Ohio.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 8th, 2021 at 9:11:07 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
Those little nicotine pouches sufficiently demonstrated to me that I can only handle so much nicotine at one time, so more surface contact is not a huge selling point! The last thing I need to do is be getting out of my car and nearly lose my breakfast everywhere again.

I don't know if there are extra taxes, or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. What did surprise me was that the Skoal pouches were actually a hair more expensive when I was in West Virginia a few days back. I'll have to check on the price of them in Ohio.

Apparently it has changed. PA is now 55 Cents an ounce for both moist snuff and chewing tobacco.

https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/assets/factsheets/0169.pdf

The method of taxes can vary widely State to State so its hard to do a direct comparison. Some is a tax per ounce, some is a % of wholesale price some is a % of manufacturer price, some is a flat tax per unit, some a % of the taxable sale. Cigarettes are much easier to compare because it is a flat amount of cents per pack across the board. But smokeless tobacco is so different that it can be complicated to compare with tax charts since States use drastically different methods (and then sometimes different methods for various smokeless products).

For your example Ohio is now 60% of the manufacturers price (which I honestly don't know how that differs from the wholesale price), and PA is a price per ounce 55 Cents, so its hard to estimate how that would be, other than if you know a store brand in both States and compare the price of a can of the exact same product.

Apparently the only State left with no tax on any tobacco Product is Florida for Cigars (I am not counting Ecigs as that is not really a tobacco product).

For example the Federal tax for smokeless tobacco is 9 cents per ounce for dip and 3 cents an ounce for chew, so PA's 55 cents per ounce is many times the Federal rate. Apparently Vermont is 300 Cents per ounce for dip, which seems borderline absurd, that is like Canada prices (20-30 dollars for a can, not an exaggeration).

But, I guess the days of cheap tobacco in PA are gone (still slightly cheaper than NJ, at least for dip, for chew NJ uses a % of wholesale price, 30% so I am not sure how that compares for average chews).
May 28th, 2021 at 10:00:39 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Why did I ever quit dipping in favor of smoking again?

I've been broadening my horizons and discovered Copenhagen Mint Pouches. My God. They are so excellent. I also discovered Grizzly Mint pouches...and have decided that I probably shouldn't broaden my horizons anymore.

1. Copenhagen Mint (by a mile)
2. Copenhagen Wintergreen (But, it's close with #3)
3. Skoal Mint
4. Grizzly Mint (I do not believe this is even tobacco)

Just the nicotine---all day long, steady stream. Good times.

I will not try fruit flavors. YUCK!
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 28th, 2021 at 10:04:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I've been broadening my horizons and discovered Copenhagen Mint Pouches. My God. They are so excellent. I also discovered Grizzly Mint pouches...and have decided that I probably shouldn't broaden my horizons anymore.

3. Skoal Mint

Hmm
Why not just suck on a wintergreen mint
Thats what I do
I find it very satisfying
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 28th, 2021 at 10:17:13 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
Hmm
Why not just suck on a wintergreen mint
Thats what I do
I find it very satisfying

Too many mints are bad for your teeth.
May 28th, 2021 at 10:25:19 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

3. Skoal Mint

Copenhagen Mint Pouches are simply the best Mint Pouches.

Skoal Spearmint (if you like Spearmint) is a close second. Skoal regular Mint is fine, but I never found it to be amazing (for the price, for a "premium" brand, when there are better mints cheaper IMO).

I stand by my view of disliking Wintergreen, I just can't do it.
May 28th, 2021 at 10:30:55 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Gandler
Copenhagen Mint Pouches are simply the best Mint Pouches.

Skoal Spearmint (if you like Spearmint) is a close second. Skoal regular Mint is fine, but I never found it to be amazing (for the price, for a "premium" brand, when there are better mints cheaper IMO).

I stand by my view of disliking Wintergreen, I just can't do it.

If it's Skoal, and not fruit, I will try it. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll use that as my fallback if one of my places is out of Cope Mint that day.
May 28th, 2021 at 11:11:27 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2

Because chicks really don't dig dip.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
May 28th, 2021 at 11:13:45 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
What about vaping as an alternative?
May 28th, 2021 at 1:51:55 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
"Number of smokers soars to 1.1B worldwide, study says"

"A new study suggests there were a record 1.1 billion smokers worldwide in 2019, and nearly 8 million related deaths."
Page 12 of 15« First<9101112131415>