The Debates

October 2nd, 2020 at 6:42:43 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO

You can argue that there are some (many!) that will approve of him no matter what, but how did he change a disapprover into an approver?

(Quote clipped, relevance)

Might have changed, "No Opinion," into approvers, but certainly better approval rates are, well, better.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 2nd, 2020 at 7:14:02 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
So... with Donny’s diagnosis, will there be the 2nd debate on Oct. 15th?

Trump may be pulling a Ferris Bueller to get out of the debates :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 2nd, 2020 at 7:48:18 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
Trump may be pulling a Ferris Bueller to get out of the debates :-)

No get ready for 'Bubble Trump' and he will be good to go.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:20:27 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
They could both participate remotely. We have the technology.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:29:37 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Dalex64
They could both participate remotely. We have the technology.

That's true, but both parties are going to have to agree to the terms. Specifically, Trump is going to have to agree that his mic can't be hot the entire time.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:32:54 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Also, I found a clip of my boy, Prince Reibus, and he basically agrees that Trump did not turn in his best performance in the prior debate. Mainly, he emphasized letting Biden hurt himself by talking. Like I said yesterday, by taking away his ability to interrupt, I think they'd actually be doing Trump a favor.
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:55:52 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Wife and I are having a discussion about Chris Wallace's performance during the debate. I feel he failed miserably, while my wife feels like he could not have done anything. Here is what I would have done after a few of the Trump interruptions.....

"Mr. President, Mr. Vice President... I have been tasked with moderating this debate and enforcing the rules that both of you have agreed to. Each of you has been guaranteed certain uninterrupted times to speak. There are no exceptions to this rule. If you feel that you want to make a counterpoint you will have uninterrupted time yourself. If necessary, I will ask whoever is breaking this rule to leave the stage during the other person's time. You will be invited back when it is your turn. Unfortunately, to insure fairness, I will have to enact this policy. If, from now on, there are no more interruptions, you can both remain on stage throughout. The next interruption I will ask the interrupter to leave the stage. I'm sorry it has come to this, but as moderator, it seems to be the only way I can enforce fairness for both candidates, and more importantly, so that the American people can hear fairly from each of the candidates."
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:59:30 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Wife and I are having a discussion about Chris Wallace's performance during the debate. I feel he failed miserably, while my wife feels like he could not have done anything. Here is what I would have done after a few of the Trump interruptions.....

"Mr. President, Mr. Vice President... I have been tasked with moderating this debate and enforcing the rules that both of you have agreed to. Each of you has been guaranteed certain uninterrupted times to speak. There are no exceptions to this rule. If you feel that you want to make a counterpoint you will have uninterrupted time yourself. If necessary, I will ask whoever is breaking this rule to leave the stage during the other person's time. You will be invited back when it is your turn. Unfortunately, to insure fairness, I will have to enact this policy. If, from now on, there are no more interruptions, you can both remain on stage throughout. The next interruption I will ask the interrupter to leave the stage. I'm sorry it has come to this, but as moderator, it seems to be the only way I can enforce fairness for both candidates, and more importantly, so that the American people can hear fairly from each of the candidates."

I'm going to side with Mrs. SOOPOO on this one. Like I said yesterday, what's he to do---go up and smack Trump in the face? I mean, he can order him off the stage as you suggested, but Trump is obviously going to simply refuse to leave the stage. Is Wallace going to get someone to physically remove him? The Secret Service? I don't think you're allowed to physically accost the POTUS, even if he is acting like a petulant nine-year old.
October 2nd, 2020 at 9:12:29 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Mission146
I'm going to side with Mrs. SOOPOO on this one. Like I said yesterday, what's he to do---go up and smack Trump in the face? I mean, he can order him off the stage as you suggested, but Trump is obviously going to simply refuse to leave the stage. Is Wallace going to get someone to physically remove him? The Secret Service? I don't think you're allowed to physically accost the POTUS, even if he is acting like a petulant nine-year old.

I've thought this through. If Trump or Biden refused my directive, I would have announced that the Debate is over as Candidate X has refused to abide by the rules of the Debate. Ending it would have been FAR better than letting it proceed in its chaotic form. I think Chris Wallace would have been hailed as a national hero.
October 2nd, 2020 at 9:17:33 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I've thought this through. If Trump or Biden refused my directive, I would have announced that the Debate is over as Candidate X has refused to abide by the rules of the Debate. Ending it would have been FAR better than letting it proceed in its chaotic form. I think Chris Wallace would have been hailed as a national hero.

Need to get Jo J. up there for the third debate. We’ll have substantive conversation and she can keep the boys in line.

Although, it’s going to look really bad when Trump insults her for no good reason.