The Old Guard

Page 6 of 6« First<3456
July 19th, 2020 at 6:07:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
You can read first issue here

Quote: Gandler
I honestly don't understand all of the fuss about the gay characters in this thread. Romance in this movie was do subdued you barley noticed it.... I don't even think there were any sex scenes (of any kind) that I remember or anything more than a quick kiss when greeting....

There is actually a lengthy guy on guy kiss, but other than that the story is not about sex.

Many people, sometimes including me, have trouble with the idea that the original post should define the topic of a thread, and to take the narrative on a tangent is called hijacking.

I am divided on the movie vs. mini-series debate. "Warrior Nun" is from the same genre as "The Old Guard" and it seemed like there was a lot of filler to get it up to 10 hours. There was a romance in Warrior Nun that seemed pivotal and abruptly ends halfway through the series.

But streaming video does seem to favor the 10 hour format.
July 19th, 2020 at 6:24:50 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Pacomartin
You can read first issue here

There is actually a lengthy guy on guy kiss, but other than that the story is not about sex.

Many people, sometimes including me, have trouble with the idea that the original post should define the topic of a thread, and to take the narrative on a tangent is called hijacking.

I am divided on the movie vs. mini-series debate. "Warrior Nun" is from the same genre as "The Old Guard" and it seemed like there was a lot of filler to get it up to 10 hours. There was a romance in Warrior Nun that seemed pivotal and abruptly ends halfway through the series.

But streaming video does seem to favor the 10 hour format.

Thank You for the link. It seems they did a pretty good job at least as far as that issue (that is all I have read, not buying them).

I will say, as far as controversies go, it seemed like most of the characters were smoking in the comics, and tobacco was suspiciously absent in the movie (seemed like the kind of action movie where a lot of characters would be chain smokers, especially being that they were immortal, which I think was part of the purpose in the comic.....). This could be due to the recent controversy over the amount of smoking in Netflix Originals? But, this movie if I recall was rated R, so even by their own standards it should have allowed for tobacco use..... (I believe the new Netflix standard is no tobacco in Netflix movies Rated less than R or shows rated below TV-MA unless for explicit historical or artistic reasons)..... Anyway, not a huge issue, just something I thought worth brining up...

I suppose "lengthy kissing" is subjective, I don’t recall anything over the top.... Certainly had less sex/romance than most standard action movies I think would be fair to say..... Certainly no actual 'sex" despite its R rating.... Which is fine by me, I am not one for sex scenes unless they add to the story or character development.... I think hinted/implied romances can be just as if not more effective if the movie is well written and directed.... (For a homosexual example Braveheart is a great implied romance)....
July 20th, 2020 at 2:25:08 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
"Warrior Nun" is a similar type fantasy as "Old Gaurd". All the actors are European so you don't have big salaries like Charlize Theron. I enjoyed it a little more even though it moved a little slower. The plot was actually pretty good, especially the last episode. The shots of Andalusia in Southern Spain were beautiful.

Alba Baptista, The Warrior Nun

Watching this now
It is pretty good.
Up to episode 3
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 20th, 2020 at 4:16:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I am divided on the movie vs. mini-series debate. "Warrior Nun" i

I'm checking the reviews and
even the good ones trash the
dialog. Awful, terrible, incoherent,
babbling, too much cringe worthy
inner dialog, 14 year old writers.
I'll watch the first ep, that should
tell me.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2020 at 5:35:47 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Rotten Tomatoes Critics
81% THE OLD GUARD
72% CURSED: SEASON 1
72% WARRIOR NUN: SEASON 1

Of all three female led military fantasies on Netflix it looks like The Old Guard got a decent rating from the most number of critics.

66% THE WITCHER (Henry Cavill)
July 20th, 2020 at 9:45:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Rotten Tomatoes Critics

I read the reviews on RT. More
complaints about the narration
and the 'diary'. That the show
is very slow. I'll watch the first
one but I'm afraid this might
be my opinion:

"Nothing happens. They talk and talk, and then -- nothing happens. It`s like they didn`t have a CGI budget, but had lots of money for plot development because that`s all you get. I kept waiting, and nothing substantial happened. A few stupid fights, a bunch of women being catty to each other, establishing the church patriarchal hierarchy, women are subservient, but they hold the real power, yada yada. This ain`t Buffy. It`s a piece of crap."
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2020 at 10:50:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
I gave it a shot. I lasted 40 min. The acting
is atrocious, it's like they're reading their
lines off of cue cards with no enthusiasm
whatever. The narration is irritating as
all narration is in TV and movies. It
was like a bad Latino soap opera.

I went to IMDB and looked at the
crew stats and sure enough, 90%
of the people connected with this
show have Latino last names. But
none of the writers or producers
are Latino. 70% of the actors and
almost 100% of the production
staff is Latino.

It looks like it was written and produced
in the US and they went to a Spanish
country where production was cheap
and shot it. Very shoddy production
values, terrible acting, confusing dialog,
Netflix does it again.
July 21st, 2020 at 10:12:32 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Really enjoying this.
Shotgun Mary rocks
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 21st, 2020 at 5:29:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
they went to a Spanish country

The show was shot almost entirely in Southern Spain.

There is no place in Latin America that looks like that.
Page 6 of 6« First<3456