The Old Guard

Page 1 of 61234>Last »
July 16th, 2020 at 9:47:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Scythia 1st century BC

The Old Guard is #1 on Netflix. Kind of low on plot, but high on choreographed action it is about a group of 7 "near immortals". Charlize Theron plays Andromache of Scythia or 'Andy' in modern English. Out of the original 6, one has died, one is imprisoned for centuries in medieval England, two are gay lovers who were on opposite sides in the Crusades, and the last is a Napoleonic war soldier. They are joined by a new American girl.
July 16th, 2020 at 10:06:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's a 2 hour movie? What's it's point.
That's barely enough time to explain
it's premise, let alone understand it.
I thought it was a series.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 17th, 2020 at 3:04:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Gay lovers is enough reason for me to never watch it. I swear I am about an inch from dropping Netflix. Movie selection has gone down. All their series seem to have some gay message or other PC message. I want to be entertained, not watch someone's social statements.
The President is a fink.
July 17th, 2020 at 10:00:17 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman

Gay lovers is enough reason for me to never watch it. I swear I am about an inch from dropping Netflix.

I watch very little Nflix now.
It has been going downhill
for years. Most of their
original stuff is unwatchable
crap. Prime is much better.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 17th, 2020 at 11:27:19 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Gay lovers is enough reason for me to never watch it. I swear I am about an inch from dropping Netflix. Movie selection has gone down. All their series seem to have some gay message or other PC message. I want to be entertained, not watch someone's social statements.

Gay characters: *exist*

“Alpha males”: must.....retreat....to....my..... Safe Space
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 17th, 2020 at 1:40:08 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I was disappointed
A lot of action but that's abut it
I think it might have been more interesting if they showed the historical events they tried to shape instead of their present day struggle
Was looking forward to this because Charlize Theron starred in what I consider the greatest action film ever, Fury Road
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 18th, 2020 at 12:19:06 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
I was disappointed A lot of action but that's abut it

I did try and warn you.
Quote: Pacomartin
Kind of low on plot, but high on choreographed action

GLAAD reports that: There were 109 LGBTQ regular characters counted in original scripted series on the streaming services Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix as well as 44 recurring characters, for a total of 153 LGBTQ characters.

I assume that they don't provide a list of characters and the shows since some people might use the list to avoid watching certain shows.
July 18th, 2020 at 9:50:18 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Yep, they're no different than YouTube and all the rest of the libbie companies out there. They will stop at nothing to push the gay agenda and shove it down our throats.

GLAAD reports that...
GLAAD is pretty much the gay version of BLM. Both of them are hate groups.
July 18th, 2020 at 9:56:18 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I did try and warn you.

GLAAD reports that: There were 109 LGBTQ regular characters counted in original scripted series on the streaming services Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix as well as 44 recurring characters, for a total of 153 LGBTQ characters.

I assume that they don't provide a list of characters and the shows since some people might use the list to avoid watching certain shows.

And, if we ever get to the point at which neither side feels the need to count and report on these things, we might actually have a society.

I don't need every show to have an interracial couple as well as a gay couple, but I don't really care if a show has nothing but interracial or gay couples. I care whether or not it's a good show that I consider worth watching, which it almost never is, in either case.

Of course, OITNB was quite good, and given that it was centered around a women's prison...I'm going to suggest that's where a good many of the LGBTQ characters came from. Here are the ones I can name:

-Main Character
-Main Character's Off and On Girlfriend
-Secondary Butch Lesbian Character
-Girlfriend of Butch Character
-African-American Prisoner Who Died
-Asian Girlfriend of African-American Prisoner Who Died
-One Prison Guard
-One Upper Ranking Prison Employee might be considered bisexual...not sure if they'd have counted her
-Other Girlfriend of Main Character Who Betrayed Her

The final season was in a different prison which introduced a few new lesbian/bisexual characters, but I can only think of two, though there were probably more.

Probably 15-20, all told, once you get into recurring characters. But, again, the show was about a women's prison. I think of the dozen or so regular male characters (mostly guards, of course) one of them was gay. That guy was brutal and completely lost his mind before being killed, so it's not like they went out of their way to do the gay community any favors with that character.

In terms of politics, definitely a left-leaning show, but it didn't portray straight characters in a bad light as a default, or anything....not as a rule, anyway. Some were good people and a few were not.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 18th, 2020 at 10:44:49 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Shrek
Yep, they're no different than YouTube and all the rest of the libbie companies out there. They will stop at nothing to push the gay agenda and shove it down our throats.

Hey, Gay men's agenda is important.
Up to 2% of the population is Gay
males. TWO PERCENT! That's huge.
LOLOLOL
Page 1 of 61234>Last »