Are Cops the Only Racists Left? ... In Polite Society, That Is

Page 4 of 5<12345>
June 10th, 2020 at 7:40:58 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
You can catch a little flash of boob at the 0:31 point.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 10th, 2020 at 1:35:43 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I can promise you I didn't notice it until Wiz pointed it out. I am just wondering if I can have the 45 seconds back. Why would anyone want to watch or care about some ditzy white woman hurling racist comments in a 7-11? What thought is supposed to enter my mind? That there is a racist somewhere in middle America? Got it. Thanks.....
June 11th, 2020 at 3:16:07 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
So I indeed did buy and read "Losing Jon" , by David Parrish, the story about the young man who was found hanging from a baseball backstop in Columbia MD in the early '90s. The book implies that Victor Riemer was responsible. Almost everyone involved is white btw, I had gotten the impression it was a story of the lynching of a young black man. No. 

It's the author's first book, and probably will be his only book. It shows. However, in some ways that works, it authenticates the claim that this is just an ordinary citizen who felt a duty to write this book. 

The book does a good job of establishing that this cop was a bad apple, quite brutal, a poor choice to be involved with any kids for sure. It comes short of proving Riemer murdered Jon Bowie, a statement I believe Parrish would be forced to say is correct. I suppose he'd respond that he established that there was an undeniable pattern of cover-up that prevented crimes from being solved, murder being a possible one. The book does not settle to my satisfaction that Jon Bowie's death was not suicide, it's greatest failing. I will concede it raises doubts about it. 

It's largely a story of clairvoyant women! I would say anyone who really gets into this book is going to have to like this aspect of it. Jon's mother is painted as such, getting constant premonitions and visions that unfortunately merely torture her. The author also introduces his own clairvoyant mother! He had asked her to get involved in solving the case from her home in North Carolina by channeling visions, and is painted as providing helpful information and obtaining divine help in convincing witnesses to come forward. I'm afraid to say I have to feel it really sticks out as a flaw of the book. 

Other aspects of note:

*the story is partly one of old Howard county versus newcomers, a phenomenon I am familiar with elsewhere. The author alludes to this but only briefly. I wonder if he should have gotten into it more, it would explain a lot, including the support for and the behavior of Riemer, who may have been urged to tame the kids of the influx of these 'outsiders' who were presenting new problems for the community by the sheer fact that the county was going from low population to much higher population. The wrong thing to be urging a guy like Riemer, no doubt. 

*though I found I liked the author's style, which lets his natural warmth and hominess come through quite strongly, his methodology has problems. He takes an aspect of the story and casts doubt on it by giving one side only, and it takes reflection to realize what he is using isn't the best of evidence, almost never the quality needed in a courtroom for example. 

*he has to deal with the fact that investigations did take place and he uses his methodology to get you to think that they were all phony investigations, including those done by the FBI. As far as the FBI goes, he did succeed in getting me to wish they had dug deeper and maintained independence from local influence. 

*there is way too much hearsay, often anonymous. 

*he is unaware that he is showing, indirectly, the ways in which clairvoyants try to trick people, which since it involves his mother is pretty sad. 

*to top off my problems with the clairvoyance, the last chapter is a recounting of how they feel they've solved this case with sessions similar to seances.

I'm interrupted so if I have more on this I'll add it later. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080654046X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 11th, 2020 at 4:32:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit
So I indeed did buy and read "Losing Jon" , by David Parrish, the story about the young man who was found hanging from a baseball backstop in Columbia MD in the early '90s. The book implies that Victor Riemer was responsible. Almost everyone involved is white btw, I had gotten the impression it was a story of the lynching of a young black man. No. 

It's the author's first book, and probably will be his only book. It shows. However, in some ways that works, it authenticates the claim that this is just an ordinary citizen who felt a duty to write this book. 

The book does a good job of establishing that this cop was a bad apple, quite brutal, a poor choice to be involved with any kids for sure. It comes short of proving Riemer murdered Jon Bowie, a statement I believe Parrish would be forced to say is correct. I suppose he'd respond that he established that there was an undeniable pattern of cover-up that prevented crimes from being solved, murder being a possible one. The book does not settle to my satisfaction that Jon Bowie's death was not suicide, it's greatest failing. I will concede it raises doubts about it.

I agree. There are a lot of questions and an investigation should have been done. Knowing Victor personally, I have no doubt. Weird thing, he grew to be a big tall guy but in the neighborhood he was a wimp. Probably why he turned into a bully. Revenge for how he was treated growing up. He was teased a lot. Kids can be cruel but that's part of life and you move on. I don't think Victor moved on and used that to fuel his adult bully side. 

It's largely a story of clairvoyant women! I would say anyone who really gets into this book is going to have to like this aspect of it. Jon's mother is painted as such, getting constant premonitions and visions that unfortunately merely torture her. The author also introduces his own clairvoyant mother! He had asked her to get involved in solving the case from her home in North Carolina by channeling visions, and is painted as providing helpful information and obtaining divine help in convincing witnesses to come forward. I'm afraid to say I have to feel it really sticks out as a flaw of the book. 

I agree. That part was BS and I skipped over all that

Other aspects of note:

*the story is partly one of old Howard county versus newcomers, a phenomenon I am familiar with elsewhere. The author alludes to this but only briefly. I wonder if he should have gotten into it more, it would explain a lot, including the support for and the behavior of Riemer, who may have been urged to tame the kids of the influx of these 'outsiders' who were presenting new problems for the community by the sheer fact that the county was going from low population to much higher population. The wrong thing to be urging a guy like Riemer, no doubt. 

Victor, myself, our whole development and neighborhood were part of the huge wave of newcomers. Victor was a newcomer.

*though I found I liked the author's style, which lets his natural warmth and hominess come through quite strongly, his methodology has problems. He takes an aspect of the story and casts doubt on it by giving one side only, and it takes reflection to realize what he is using isn't the best of evidence, almost never the quality needed in a courtroom for example. 

The author is just a regular guy disturbed by this incident. He seems almost too nice. After I read the book, I contacted the author to let him know I knew Victor personally, grew up with him just 3 houses away. I told him my Victor stories, how some of the kids I grew up with blame Vic's a**hole father and that those that knew Vic have no doubts.. I told him how my father's suicide was an obvious open and shut case yet the Howard County police decided to investigate preventing me and my family access to the suicide notes till the investigation was competed. The authors response,
"I am so sorry for your pain. What I keep coming back to is that one of the nicest kids I ever coached in baseball is still a Howard County officer. And Victor is one of God's children, too. That's a really hard part."

*he has to deal with the fact that investigations did take place and he uses his methodology to get you to think that they were all phony investigations, including those done by the FBI. As far as the FBI goes, he did succeed in getting me to wish they had dug deeper and maintained independence from local influence. 

*there is way too much hearsay, often anonymous. 

*he is unaware that he is showing, indirectly, the ways in which clairvoyants try to trick people, which since it involves his mother is pretty sad. 

*to top off my problems with the clairvoyance, the last chapter is a recounting of how they feel they've solved this case with sessions similar to seances.

I'm interrupted so if I have more on this I'll add it later. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080654046X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The author also posted this regarding the recent protests
"I suspect that our new chief was the first chief in the nation to hold up this sign. This happened during a huge local demonstration. Very encouraging. She was a rookie cop when Jon Bowie died."
The sign read "Silence is complicit"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 11th, 2020 at 5:27:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
thanks for the feedback

for what it is worth [nearly nothing] here's where I put the probabilities after having read this book

*chances Jon's death was suicide or murder etc

-unexplainable suicide, 25%
-suicide with regrettable outside complicity, 30% [that's 55% altogether]
-bizarre accidental death, 10%
-murder, 35% but if so 99% chance Riemer caused it or did it

*chances Riemer was behind all kinds of unprovable trespassing or similar type incidents, 90%

*chances Riemer was witness tampering, doing witness intimidation, 99%

*chances proof or heavily probative other evidence was hidden, suppressed, etc, except of course perpetrators keeping their mouths shut, 10%

*chances the same could have been brought to light with better investigation, 40%, even if there was no murder [there was a bunch of other stuff]
July 12th, 2020 at 11:41:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Chris Rock says with joking exactly what I'm noticing about all this.

July 26th, 2020 at 7:39:55 AM permalink
odiousgambit
well, this lady decided the statistics regarding a racial breakdown of who gets shot by the cops evidently decided the white side needed some added data, tune in at 18 seconds

February 18th, 2022 at 7:29:39 AM permalink
terapined
No doubt there is a double standard among conservatives
They are against anybody on the left protesting and breaking the law yet they support those on the right that protest and break the law
Sad
The correct answer
You break the law while protesting, you should be arrested regardless of the cause.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-embrace-truckers-see-racist-060603636.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 21st, 2022 at 8:17:09 AM permalink
terapined
The longest local TV news station story ever
Unfortunately it's a dirty cop and the amount of dirt is endless

https://cbs12.com/news/local/joshua-brack-breakup-internal-affairs-pbso-palm-beach-county-sheriffs-office-deputy-ex-girlfriend-riviera-lake-park-belle-glade-clewiston
March 8th, 2023 at 3:32:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
It's estimated that there are 150 in the image.

People swayed by an argument that a new police training center being built near Atlanta, which is almost surely to try to develop better police, fewer bad cops... no, they were told it is in fact being built for the opposite reason. To train cops to be vicious instead, and calling it "cop city", just marched on it and destroyed what they could. This is what so many colleges and universities are turning out now, they want to be "social justice warriors"

How much do you want to bet it's almost all white people?

Page 4 of 5<12345>