Are Cops the Only Racists Left? ... In Polite Society, That Is

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
May 31st, 2020 at 5:04:00 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
So don't miss that I am saying "in polite society"

we know there are supremacist racists out in the boonies, but in isolated, fringe groups

we know prisons breed racists, both sides of the coin

probably some other groups that don't come to mind right now that we would all agree on, but they aren't part of governments, churches, corporations, whatever, you know what I mean, at least not cited as racist and we generally would agree. Some would say the present administration is, but come on, certainly that is not a given.

I don't think we would disagree too much that there are *some* in the police forces. It has been said if you want to become a racist, become a cop or go to prison

But what I'm really getting at is "cops are racists" is not really reality. Yet there are people right now who would have us think that, to a great proportion, though not majority I guess, but are asserting that's what we've got. I'm saying this is BS.

You disagree?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 31st, 2020 at 5:18:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit

I would say that situation is not as clear. You have to side with groups by race for your health. Not necessarily because you believe it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 31st, 2020 at 5:18:25 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
So don't miss that I am saying "in polite society"

we know there are supremacist racists out in the boonies, but in isolated, fringe groups

Yes, prison forces people into racial based gangs.... Sad reality....

probably some other groups that don't come to mind right now that we would all agree on, but they aren't part of governments, churches, corporations, whatever, you know what I mean, at least not cited as racist and we generally would agree. Some would say the present administration is, but come on, certainly that is not a given.

I can name some churches and religious institutions that are pretty racist, but I know that is not your primary point.

I don't think we would disagree too much that there are *some* in the police forces. It has been said if you want to become a racist, become a cop or go to prison

But what I'm really getting at is "cops are racists" is not really reality. Yet there are people right now who would have us think that, to a great proportion, though not majority I guess, but are asserting that's what we've got. I'm saying this is BS.

You disagree?

I don't agree with this. Police screenings look pretty hard for hate group affiliations (including under a polygraph so you can't just lie....)

Police are not racist. Police arrest many black people because the reality is, there are crime problems in black communities..... It is not "PC" to say, but it is what it is. So the more interactions you have with police, the more probability that you will experience "brutality"..... Keep in mind most of these BLM protests over people dying in police custody or during interactions (even the ones that are clear cut where the Police are wrong such as Floyd), are routine criminals who interact with police constantly, so its only a matter of time before one goes south. This is not excusing the police behavior in this case, but I am pointing out, if you are a career criminal with regular police interactions, eventually it is going to end badly....

That being said most of the past BLM protests, I 100% side with the police, such as Mike Brown, that was clear cut, the officer had to shoot him.... This (Floyd) and Castile, cases are the only legit cases of police misconduct that I have seen pushed by BLM (and it may not even be race related, personnel history shows, this officer had a history of violence against all races..... Maybe he was just sadistic? …..) BLM tends to side with the victim (if they are black) and not care about any other facts of a death.....
May 31st, 2020 at 5:24:22 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: rxwine
I would say that situation is not as clear. You have to side with groups by race for your health. Not necessarily because you believe it.

There was a really good Netflix Film a few years ago that starred the guy from Game of Thrones (Jamie Lanister), I am blanking on the name.

But essentially he was a (white obviously) guy, who got arrested for killing somebody during a DUI, very successful businessman and goes to jail for a few years. While in prison he quickly ranks up in the White Gang (forget the name), and when he comes out, he is completely entrenched with racial extremism and gang activity because he has nowhere else to go.

It was a good movie, but the point is, it is a sad reality for all races. When in prison, you have to join the racial gang that you fit into, and go-getters tend to thrive, and when they come out they will be entrenched in that culture still....
June 1st, 2020 at 4:05:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I'm concerned that the way it is being presented, college students, for example, are just buying the idea that the police are the bad guys, racists, the problem for the Af/Am community in a nutshell. The mainstream media seem to me to be going along with this. How are they to think any different?

Good point, Gandler, that many cops probably develop a sadistic streak without pondering any deeper about race.
June 1st, 2020 at 5:18:38 PM permalink
Gandler
I'm concerned that the way it is being presented, college students, for example, are just buying the idea that the police are the bad guys, racists, the problem for the Af/Am community in a nutshell. The mainstream media seem to me to be going along with this. How are they to think any different?

Good point, Gandler, that many cops probably develop a sadistic streak without pondering any deeper about race.

I am not sure if I would say that. But, my point was this one Officer has a violent history (with no connecting tissue regarding race), so its quite possible he is just an aggressive person and would have done that to anyone in that situation? Again, its irrelevant, because its wrong regardless of the race of either party.....
June 2nd, 2020 at 7:48:15 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Gandler

I am not sure if I would say that. But, my point was this one Officer has a violent history (with no connecting tissue regarding race), so its quite possible he is just an aggressive person and would have done that to anyone in that situation? Again, its irrelevant, because its wrong regardless of the race of either party.....

Irrelevant? If George Floyd was White this may have made the news, but as a blip on the screen. Because George Floyd was Black there are thousands of stores nationwide that were laid waste to. And tens of thousands of criminals emboldened to feel they were given a free pass.

As far as many cops developing a sadistic streak, I'd say (some) cops took the job BECAUSE of their sadistic streak. Of course, just a small percentage.
June 2nd, 2020 at 7:59:51 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: SOOPOO
Quote: Gandler

Irrelevant? If George Floyd was White this may have made the news, but as a blip on the screen. Because George Floyd was Black there are thousands of stores nationwide that were laid waste to. And tens of thousands of criminals emboldened to feel they were given a free pass.

As far as many cops developing a sadistic streak, I'd say (some) cops took the job BECAUSE of their sadistic streak. Of course, just a small percentage.

I misspoke, it should be irrelevant...

Unarmed white men are killed far more, and nobody cares (and rightfully so because 99% are justified killings...) But, people make it a race issue when its the other way around.....

My point is this cop has no history of racism, but he does of violence. So maybe he is just a violent jerk to everyone? This one just happened to be black...
June 2nd, 2020 at 8:20:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO

I think most cops go into it with good intentions. But watch "COPS" for even a few hours and you will see how it can burn any person right out. In the nicer parts of town it is a nice gig. Maybe some spoiled kids break into a house once a year. Otherwise it is traffic patrol.

But then you see so much of what they deal with. People with warrants. Same domestic calls at the same house over and over and over. Dealing with druggies. Some of these cities it is more like they are just running a zoo. Keeping the animals in line as much as possible.

That will make a sadist out of many people.
The President is a fink.
June 2nd, 2020 at 8:47:43 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I don't doubt that they ask too much of too few cops in the bad neighborhoods. That leads to problems too. I get the notion that one problem with the case in point was that they were having to hold George Floyd too long just in the back of the car, evidently couldn't take him somewhere else [who knows] and with no one coming to get him either
Page 1 of 51234>Last »