The City on Fire

Page 3 of 137<123456>Last »
May 28th, 2020 at 6:55:15 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
I'd use clawback as another example of justice. People who may have done nothing intentionally wrong made money from Bernie Madoff's ripping off other people. What happens to the people who did nothing wrong. They still have to give that money back to the person it was stolen from.

Sorry. Just because they did nothing wrong doesn't mean they get to keep it. It's not theirs..

How is that even slightly relevant?

Are you insinuating that looting is justified because society has stolen from you? And, that looting is equivalent to recovering stolen funds? If so you really need to explain?
May 28th, 2020 at 6:57:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: petroglyph
How far back would you go?

Would have to be arbitrated probably. At any rate, the payback so far is a bargain compared to what was taken. So all those who benefitted from the sins of the fathers should just rejoice we got off so lightly and stay quiet about minor paybacks like affirmative action.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 28th, 2020 at 7:00:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Gandler
How is that even slightly relevant?

Are you insinuating that looting is justified because society has stolen from you? And, that looting is equivalent to recovering stolen funds? If so you really need to explain?

It's relevant to discrimination, racism, and justice in general, but in an obtuse way I guess. My impression of people who think discrimination is over, sometimes graduates to the them saying "but even so, I personally didn't do anything, so why should anything be taken from me."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 28th, 2020 at 7:06:57 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
It's relevant to discrimination, racism, and justice in general, but in an obtuse way I guess. My impression of people who think discrimination is over, sometimes graduates to the them saying "but even so, I personally didn't do anything, so why should anything be taken from me."

Yes. I had no involvement in history, the slave trade, or Jim Crow... I owe no race anything other than treating people with the respect that they deserve.... Even if you are basing on ancestry, my family immigrated here long after slavery ended, and were poor coal miners im the North of Michigan, nothing to do with slavery....

For the record I support UBI because I think it would increase the wealth of everyone. And, this would be a far better plan to reduce racial wealth inequality than any other.... But, no, I do not owe anyone anything other than respect and decency. Reparations are idiotic, the idea that looting is justified as reparations is idiotic, true equality would come from UBI. History can suck sometimes, all we can do is work to make a better future.
May 28th, 2020 at 7:08:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Gandler, I do agree racism can be used as simply a political agenda. And misused. Doesn't mean it always is, or is fictional.
May 28th, 2020 at 7:17:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Btw I didn't make an opinion on looting as some sort of solution. So, don't take that as something I said.
May 28th, 2020 at 7:31:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Going back to my first statement. The reason I say it was more than just a video of cop murdering someone that started this...

Let's say I post a story of a Catholic priest beating the crap out of someone on the sidewalk. That's an incident.

Whereas another story about Catholic priest in a molestation case, can generate a whole movement of outrage. (because there's lots of history)
May 28th, 2020 at 8:38:14 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Reports are rioters have taken the 3rd Precinct in Minneapolis and it is presently burning to the ground.

The cops abandoned it.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 28th, 2020 at 9:01:26 PM permalink
rxwine
What a mess.
May 28th, 2020 at 9:56:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
They aren't rioting because of the
dead guy. They're rioting because
they know they can use the excuse
of the dead guy to get away with
the looting. It'll stop like magic when
there's nothing left to steal, it
always does. The rioting is fueled
by greed, not outrage. If it were
the rioting would go on after the
stores were cleaned out and it
won't go on.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 3 of 137<123456>Last »