The City on Fire

May 29th, 2020 at 4:45:02 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't know about you, but I would prefer the cops to be watching than at the donut shop. Most places would call the cops if someone was dealing drugs. Unless they were in on it or intimidated.

Why does a cop car intimidate you? See, here is the start of the problem. In these neighborhoods cops are more often seen as the problem rather than the solution. Even if you take out the factor that nobody wants to be a snitch the cops are hated. So you have people who by actions prefer to live in a high-crime area than have the area patrolled by the cops.

Here is where so much of the problem happens. In this kind of a situation some people will eventually interact with the cops. They know if they are doing no wrong the cops really do not want to hassle them. Eventually the conversation will come to "just checking, citizen." And they will say, "no worries, thanks for watching, have a nice day." This group will tend to be older, whiter, and more conservative.

On the other side you will get people that act like a kid the teacher caught doing something unacceptable. They will immediately take a "why ya hassling me, pig?" attitude. They might even say it that way. They will blame "racism" but the bigger factors are dressing and acting like trouble. Pants hanging off them, etc. It does not cross their mind that the cop does not bother the 40 year old black guy walking to and dressed for work that passed minutes before. This group tends to be more black, younger, and probably more liberal. I throw in the "more liberal" because liberals tend to reflexively take a position that the cops are in the wrong.

So some cops were keeping an eye on you there? Go to Cabella's and see if they notice you. There you will be mostly "in place." They will still be profiling, and profile you of no concern.

1. I’d rather they be at the donut shop.

2. They weren’t there to intimidate me, I don’t think. They just have no good reason to be standing there watching a building where nothing is happening. Being in the same place for over an hour is not a patrol, particularly when the actions and intents of the place in question are strictly peaceful.

I also don’t need or want their protection if nothing is happening. If somebody goes committing a crime there, then we will let the police know we want them to appear. Even in the astronomically unlikely event anything violent goes on, the perpetrator of the violence is going to catch these hands.

3. I don’t talk to cops unless they talk to me, or there is a crime I absolutely must report.

4. If the cops do talk to me, I am polite and cooperative. It doesn’t mean I have to like the fact that they’re talking to me. How do you know the demographics of the group without ever being there? Mostly older folks, if you must know.

5. Oh, so if I go to where all the white people are, then I’ll be of no concern. Imagine that.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 29th, 2020 at 4:49:54 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: terapined
Looks like CNN reporter arrested due to racism
The arrested reporter is dark skinned

Racist liberals. Who would have guessed?

Rated second most liberal state, and second worst for racial equality.

Minnesota Nice

Racism against Asian Americans
May 29th, 2020 at 5:00:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
1. I’d rather they be at the donut shop.

2. They weren’t there to intimidate me, I don’t think. They just have no good reason to be standing there watching a building where nothing is happening. Being in the same place for over an hour is not a patrol, particularly when the actions and intents of the place in question are strictly peaceful.

Actually it is a patrol. Lots of people coming and going. They were practicing good police work.

Quote:
3. I don’t talk to cops unless they talk to me, or there is a crime I absolutely must report.

4. If the cops do talk to me, I am polite and cooperative. It doesn’t mean I have to like the fact that they’re talking to me. How do you know the demographics of the group without ever being there? Mostly older folks, if you must know.

Why do you have a problem with saying "nice morning officer, isn't it?" I would not say I talk to them a ton, but I do. One courthouse they would have the drug dog, Bullet, half off leash. He came by me a tad faster than the cop could catch him, cop apologized almost like we were in a park walking dogs. Told the cop no worries I love dogs. Then I asked a bit about the dog. A couple of the female cops there were nice looking, but would be too young for me so just usually said hello and normal politeness.

One courthouse some civilians were looking for something and the mountie there saw me and said, "let this guy through." I was carrying a load, but it was cool, like a gangsgter getting his table first at the copa. Why did he do it? Because I was a recognized regular. Usually in Wheeling they let us walk around the metal detectors for the same reason. All just good police work.

Quote:
5. Oh, so if I go to where all the white people are, then I’ll be of no concern. Imagine that.

You would fit the profile of a hunter of fisherman so yes, you will be of far less concern. Would you rather they should hassle you there?
The President is a fink.
May 29th, 2020 at 5:06:50 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Do you think I’m stupid enough to attract a cop’s attention to me by talking to them? If they approach me, that’s one thing, but I’m not going to go out of my way to arouse suspicion by engaging in pleasantries.

I’d rather the cops not hassle anyone anywhere unless they are called for.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 29th, 2020 at 5:09:22 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
Racist liberals. Who would have guessed?

??????
The state police that arrested the dark skinned CNN reporter committed a racist act.
They left the white reporter alone.
If this took place in Key West, the action is still racist
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 29th, 2020 at 5:11:02 AM permalink
Tanko
Quote: Gandler
Charlotte was hardly anything....

It was bad enough that a protester was shot and killed by a police officer.

Quote:
It was only a story because some people marched with torches...

You're confusing Charlotte with Charlottesville (2018). 3 dead.

May 29th, 2020 at 5:14:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
Do you think I’m stupid enough to attract a cop’s attention to me by talking to them? If they approach me, that’s one thing, but I’m not going to go out of my way to arouse suspicion by engaging in pleasantries.

I’d rather the cops not hassle anyone anywhere unless they are called for.

Are you confusing being polite with being a snitch? I am not talking about seeking them out. I am talking about simply being polite. Being evasive will attract more attention.

Anyone I have met that said they were "hassled" by cops usually were not the best people or just had a huge chip on their shoulder.
The President is a fink.
May 29th, 2020 at 5:16:22 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I’m not evasive, I just completely ignore them unless I’m given no choice but to engage with them. IOW, don’t speak unless spoken to.
May 29th, 2020 at 5:18:36 AM permalink
Tanko
Quote: terapined
The state police that arrested the dark skinned CNN reporter committed a racist act.
They left the white reporter alone.

Proving my point. Very liberal and very racist state.
May 29th, 2020 at 5:29:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
Proving my point. Very liberal and very racist state.

LOL
Racist employees exist in liberal states. Sprinkled in the north, dominates in the South
Did you watch Grant
I was shocked and stunned by all the massacres in the South against Blacks after the civil war.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"