The City on Fire

Page 2 of 137<12345>Last »
May 28th, 2020 at 6:28:19 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
I’ll give you guys a little anecdote, which I usually don’t like doing, but I feel like it illustrates the difference:

I’m at the soup kitchen where I volunteer a good bit, the majority of the guests are African-American, but I think that’s mostly to do with where in town it’s located. Anyway, I’m outside smoking a Winston:

“Of course they’re real, they’re Winstons!”-Winston (No Bull)

Anyway, I’m enjoying the mellow luxury of a smooth Winston made with minimum additives, just then I look up the hill and notice that there are two police SUV’s up there with three cops standing outside the SUVs. I’m kind of wondering what they’re doing because there’s not really a whole lot up there.

I disregard it and get back to work. About an hour later, we got a delivery that I helped to bring in. That then had to be logged and sorted, which has nothing to do with me, and I’d already put together the big batches of salad, so I decide to have another smoke.

The cops are still there, but now they’re kind of looking down at our building.

I mutter to myself, “What the **** do these ***holes want?”

The gentleman standing next to me hears me, gives me a tap on the shoulder and asks, “My man, you sure you ain’t black?”

When I smoked I loved Winston. The no additives no bull campaign was genius.
May 28th, 2020 at 6:28:49 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
Good, we don't live in a country with Mob Rule. We live in a Republic where we don't have the right of individuals threatened by a majority of protestors.

He will go to jail, let the system play out, dont attack people at home.

It was wrong when conservatives did it to the cop arresting a lady on the playground and its still wrong now.... We have a system that will work.

He should be in jail already while they conduct the investigation. I would be. You would be.

The system can, does, has and is failed. Violence breeds violence and we have a system that picks and chooses who is allowed to do violence and against whom.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 28th, 2020 at 6:32:57 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: rxwine
This issue can be broken down into separate issues though. For instance Police overreach and how the justice system can be relatively lax in punishing them. That can be a completely separate issue from race.

You said , "You can prove racism exists as an overall problem just as easily as you can prove putting a skinny person in a fat suit and letting them see how differently they will be treated as a fat person. 

There's many many experiments that have shown racism exists and has an effect. I'm not even arguing it only exists in one community either. It's just the majority community has the greatest effect no matter what race they are."

You can't then respond about it breaking down into seperate issues.
Police overreach against what race? Any? In general? Yes, police get a pass a lot, because they deal with bad people, and often have to resort to tragic levels of violence. And, a court will often believe a cop over a criminal if it is word against word. Thankfully for bodycams that is not an issue anymore. (And, body cams actually lower the cases of reports and wrongdoing allegations...)...
May 28th, 2020 at 6:35:14 PM permalink
Gandler
He should be in jail already while they conduct the investigation. I would be. You would be.

The system can, does, has and is failed. Violence breeds violence and we have a system that picks and chooses who is allowed to do violence and against whom.

Yes, if we choked somebody randomly we would be in jail. This was part of an arrest. It's completely different. It's wrong and he will be in jail (probably after the ME report....) but for now its still being investigated....
May 28th, 2020 at 6:39:01 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Yes, if we choked somebody randomly we would be in jail. This was part of an arrest. It's completely different. It's wrong and he will be in jail (probably after the ME report....) but for now its still being investigated....

If I choked someone in self-defense I’d be in jail while they decided whether or not it was self-defense.

There’s no self-defense component here. There arguably was, until they got him cuffed and clearly subdued.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 28th, 2020 at 6:40:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Can you cite one law (State Federal or local) that discrimates against black people? I can show you laws that discimate against white people (government funded historically black universites while other universites have been diverse for decades....)

What studies show racism is an overall problem? Resumes with the same level of experience with different names? ....

You really should look up experiments yourself. If you can't find anything, I'll get around to it.

But Oh dear. You need to answer what justice is for someone who has suffered a wrong. We can offer them a job at the expense of another person as the number of jobs may be limited, or we can offer them a sum of money. Or something else. But justice isn't offering nothing.

I guess you can argue that we can't give the son or daughter anything due to their father suffering discrimination, but I disagree. I would still give the son or daughter of a Nazi holocaust victim the stolen goods his captor had stolen from them. The stolen land, the stolen freedom. Something.

Affirmative action was one solution. But even if we didn't do that, we would have to take something from someone to give someone something.

There was plenty of legal discrimination long after slavery. Most of it is not in the law any longer.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 28th, 2020 at 6:42:55 PM permalink
Gandler
If I choked someone in self-defense I’d be in jail while they decided whether or not it was self-defense.

Not true at all. Look at George Zimmerman. And, plenty of less controversial examples....

If self-defense is plausible, you are rarely arrested before an investigation. People use violence everyday in self defense and continue on with their day.... Both violence resulting in injury and killing. Its all about context and probability.... To be arrested there needs to be probable cause of a crime (which any kind of self-defense, especially in stand your ground states is not)....
May 28th, 2020 at 6:48:23 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Not true at all. Look at George Zimmerman. And, plenty of less controversial examples....

If self-defense is plausible, you are rarely arrested before an investigation. People use violence everyday in self defense and continue on with their day.... Both violence resulting in injury and killing. Its all about context and probability.... To be arrested there needs to be probable cause of a crime (which any kind of self-defense, especially in stand your ground states is not)....

You’re going to have a tough time arguing self-defense if you have me on video crushing a guy under my knee for the better part of ten minutes while my friends keep people back and the person who I am killing has his hands restrained.

Don’t you think?

Again, I only believe in violence in the course of self-defense. But, justice would be he gets to sit in jail because that’s where he’s going anyway. REAL justice would be you feed his sorry ass to the wolves and let them have their way with him. We’ll see how calm and composed he looks when he’s being ripped to pieces. At least his hands won’t be restrained.
May 28th, 2020 at 6:48:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'd use clawback as another example of justice. People who may have done nothing intentionally wrong made money from Bernie Madoff's ripping off other people. What happens to the people who did nothing wrong. They still have to give that money back to the person it was stolen from.

Sorry. Just because they did nothing wrong doesn't mean they get to keep it. It's not theirs..
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 28th, 2020 at 6:52:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
...I guess you can argue that we can't give the son or daughter anything due to their father suffering discrimination, but I disagree. I would still give the son or daughter of a Nazi holocaust victim the stolen goods his captor had stolen from them. The stolen land, the stolen freedom. Something.

Affirmative action was one solution. But even if we didn't do that, we would have to take something from someone to give someone something.

There was plenty of legal discrimination long after slavery. Most of it is not in the law any longer.
How far back would you go?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 2 of 137<12345>Last »