Black Jogging Enthusiast Killed by Racist Vigilantes For Making Sure Construction Site was Safe

May 24th, 2020 at 4:27:39 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Gandler
I apologize if I offended you. The Hijack was only about 1.5 pages (really only less than 1 page of complete non jogger talk).

But, I dont view it as totally off-topic, Mission made assertions about certain states in relation to potential race relations which I felt was worth discussing as it relates to potential motives (or at least perceived motives).

I am still not on board with the notion that this was race based.... It could be... Or maybe they react to everyone this way..... I don’t know....

If you are going to make sweeping accusations about a large swath of America to condemn certain actions, it is only fair to respond.

No offense taken at all! We will never know with certainty, but I just don’t buy that they would have reacted the same way to a white jogger. But I don’t see how it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
May 24th, 2020 at 9:07:13 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Good day.

As a result of SOOPOO's suggestion, I made the decision to split this thread in order to create a separate thread titled, "Gandler/Mission Digression." Unfortunately, after selecting the posts to be split off, I received an error message. After said error message, I looked around for what should be the new thread and could not find it, so I must assume it's gone.

While this is a site error, I should apologize anyway to Gandler and Terapined for the loss of a few posts. I am 95% sure I did it the right way...the thing is that I almost never split topics, even on WoV when I was an Admin, but no doubt I got an error message. The affected posts are ones that no longer had anything (directly) to do with the original thread topic.

My tendency is just to let the natural flow of conversation go wherever it goes, but I can understand that some people would prefer a thread remain strictly topical. For my part, my tendency is just to fire off a long topical post to try to get it back on subject, but I certainly take no issue with SOOPOO's complaint.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 24th, 2020 at 9:11:50 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
UPDATE: I was able to easily recreate the error, thus confirming my hypothesis, and will PM Wizard accordingly.

EDIT TO ADD: I also owe Gandler a second apology because I barely even glanced over his most recent post to me before making the attempt to split the thread. As a result, I don't have much of an idea what it said.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 24th, 2020 at 9:30:18 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
Good day.

As a result of SOOPOO's suggestion, I made the decision to split this thread in order to create a separate thread titled, "Gandler/Mission Digression." Unfortunately, after selecting the posts to be split off, I received an error message. After said error message, I looked around for what should be the new thread and could not find it, so I must assume it's gone.

While this is a site error, I should apologize anyway to Gandler and Terapined for the loss of a few posts. I am 95% sure I did it the right way...the thing is that I almost never split topics, even on WoV when I was an Admin, but no doubt I got an error message. The affected posts are ones that no longer had anything (directly) to do with the original thread topic.

My tendency is just to let the natural flow of conversation go wherever it goes, but I can understand that some people would prefer a thread remain strictly topical. For my part, my tendency is just to fire off a long topical post to try to get it back on subject, but I certainly take no issue with SOOPOO's complaint.

I understand. I think that is fair. For one I have been wanting to talk about Neoconservatism in more detail, and have been debating making a post on it (which is sure to have a lot of opposition from the left and the right), (which is essentially what our discourse was turning towards), so I respect that decision.

I also enjoy flowing debates and can sometimes get off topic so I apologize if I derailed. I think it was a fair complaint.
May 24th, 2020 at 9:36:55 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
No offense taken at all! We will never know with certainty, but I just don’t buy that they would have reacted the same way to a white jogger. But I don’t see how it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

I don't know.

But, what I do know is they have been combing those two like there is no tomorrow looking for even anything race related.

For example when it came out that one or two years he missed his required annual training hours to renew his POST cert properly, and got disciplined, it was breaking news like it was the scandal of the lifetime. How many of us have had a memory lapse about CEUs especially when you hold multiple certs? Probably many of us... Yes, it was wrong, and he should have been disciplined (like I have before for forgetting to renew my BLS card), but its not a malice thing, at most it shows maybe he is lazy and/or forgetful.

The point I am making is the media and GBI (and probably the Feds by now) have been combing all of his records, their social media, their public interactions. If you think there was even a slight hint of racism (and I mean something as slight as even a confederate flag overlay on Facebook), we would be hearing about it nonstop.... The fact that there are no racist posts or police records from them being published, means they almost certainly don't exist. Remember, the Father was a former Cop/Detective, they have been going through his file. Do you think if there were racist complaints in his personnel file, even unfounded ones, we would not be hearing about it nonstop?

They are looking for any race motive that there can be. If they had one, we would be hearing about it nonstop? So my point is they don't have one.... They can't even find social media posts that are controversial.....
May 27th, 2020 at 5:04:33 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Another one
So sad
The I cant breathe video is just so disturbing
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 27th, 2020 at 5:47:52 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: terapined
Another one
So sad
The I cant breathe video is just so disturbing

Of course we don't see what led the officers to get him in that position. Regardless of what the criminal had done, and how he had acted before he was placed in that "knee on his neck" position, once he was controlled in that manner I'm sure there are protocols for keeping him secure without that position being used. To me, the most striking part of the incompetence was that once he was unconscious, the controlling officer was not aware of it, while the witnesses were! I think this will be a difficult one for the officer on top of him to avoid jail time.
May 27th, 2020 at 6:32:49 AM permalink
SOOPOO
NOT defending the officers, but separate news story mentions FORTY NINE people shot in multiple incidents over Memorial Day weekend. Not in the USA. In Chicago! The Black community will spend countless amounts of energy on the single victim, while ignoring the 49 victims. So far, 10 of the 49 are dead. (I do not have the racial breakdown of the 49, but I can guess....)

My wife found a picture of the cop on top wearing a Make Whites Great Again hat. It is not going to go well for him.
May 27th, 2020 at 7:07:46 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
My wife found a picture of the cop on top wearing a Make Whites Great Again hat. It is not going to go well for him.

The cop should have had all the others on scene (close to them; not ones who may be standing at a distance and did not see or hear it, of course) pulling him off the victim. I guess that count is three. They should be charged with at least negligent homicide because they simply watched it happen without acting as officers are sworn to act. From just the incident, the cop with his knee on the neck of the victim should be charged with the highest level of murder or manslaughter possible. Once the cuffs were on, there was no reason to continue over aggressive action like the knee in the neck...which probably is against most department's protocol anyway.

I applaud the quick action of the police chief and I hope the local prosecutor and, if they find racial motivation for Federal hate crimes prosecution, Federal prosecutors, bring charges as quickly as possible based on their investigation.

NOT defending the officers, but separate news story mentions FORTY NINE people shot in multiple incidents over Memorial Day weekend. Not in the USA. In Chicago! The Black community will spend countless amounts of energy on the single victim, while ignoring the 49 victims. So far, 10 of the 49 are dead. (I do not have the racial breakdown of the 49, but I can guess....)

This is something that continues to draw to little attention. What are the city leaders doing to stop the violence? It isn't just a bunch of gang bangers killing each other, which is bad enough. These situations also include lots of innocent victims. It happens a lot in the Houston area...I don't understand why there is not more outrage over it.
May 27th, 2020 at 7:09:27 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

People are upset because this was an employee of the people hired to PROTECT AND SERVE. A criminal kills somebody, it really sucks. A person hired to PROTECT instead kills, yes a lot of normal people are justified in outrage
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"