Black Jogging Enthusiast Killed by Racist Vigilantes For Making Sure Construction Site was Safe

Page 4 of 10<1234567>Last »
May 21st, 2020 at 6:10:53 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
Apparantly the guy filming from his car was just arrested on murder charges. Odd since he was supposedly an unrelated party.

https://abc13.com/ahmaud-arbery-larry-english-mcmichael-crump/6202460/

Also, strange, because without his footage none of this would exist...

Just throwing this out there, not sure if is the case
but
A ton of videos on the internet and everybody competing for views
Many times the videographer is not just there by chance but instead involved
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 22nd, 2020 at 5:04:04 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
If it were me and I was unarmed I would do one of two things. Calmly talk them out of it. Or run away. I would not run towards two armed men. There is no way that is ending well for anyone.

I mean I get your point fight or flight. But, I have been in some pretty tense situations. And, being aggressive is almost never the answer.

I totally get that, but it looks to me like he is running at them without a care in the world. Again, and it's not a great video, but it doesn't look to me like they necessarily presented any weapons until he got fairly close. The guy on the passenger side definitely didn't present anything until he got close. I think maybe he would have went the route of running away if he had rounded that bend and Father and Son Clampett had been standing there with shotguns already pointed at him.

That's how it seems to me, anyway. And, being presented with the scenario as third-parties watching a video, it's really easy to conjure up the best response to the situation, but Arbery did not have the advantage of any such contemplation.

Quote:
If you are outgunned you retreat. Charging a man with a shotgun on the ground, and a man with a rifle mounted on the bed of the truck is never going to go well. I don't know what he was even thinking would happen? Did he think he could win?

Again, not much time to really think anything. I think he was thinking that they would just gun him down in cold blood if he didn't engage. Why wouldn't he think that? Charging the guy on the ground is a good strategy if you are going to fight because the guy in the truck isn't going to risk taking the shot and hitting Jethro. Or, better yet, he takes the shot and hits Jethro and then Arbery might be able to get the shotgun and return fire on Cleatus.

I don't know. If Arbery figured they were going to gun him down if he ran, really, fighting was his only chance from his perspective.

Quote:
The trick is to have the training to think logically in strenuous circumstances. You need to be able to process multiple levels of behavior and outcomes very fast. But, you don't need a PhD in Strategic Planning to know that charging a man with a shotgun on the ground, while a mounted rifle man covers him is not going to end well for you. Maybe he acted on instinct and fight took over. We don't know. But, there is no way he should have engaged two hostile armed men who both can easily take him out.

I guess that's all well and fine if you're in a line of work in which you might have to confront two armed men whilst you are unarmed. If you don't anticipate that ever really being the case for you, then you probably wouldn't seek out that kind of training.

You also don't need a PhD in Strategic Planning to know that a bullet may well kill you if you run away. There's only so much you can do. Keep in mind, Arbery may have had no reason to believe that Lynchburg P.D. called the actual police. Trees aside, that area seems pretty open and also pretty open once you get on either side of the tree line. His only choices (assuming Arbery thought they intended to kill him) are to run a zigzag pattern and hope they miss, or fight.

You know, I think any alternative puts a lot of assumptions on Arbery that he had no reason to assume. He had a couple seconds (at most) to act based on the information presented to him.

Quote:
At the end of the day being polite and calm can escalate many situations even when weapons are involved. Being aggressive and rash almost never produces a positive result for either side. I know that is easy to say, but I have been in my fair share of aggressive confrontations, and I always keep my cool, and it so far as always work. Aggression breads aggression, if somebody is coming at your all agro with a knife or a gun, and you calmly express yourself and your intentions, you can easily defuse a situation, especially with rational actors. These two men from what I can tell, were not some deranged meth heads hunting people for fun, they thought they were doing the right thing (many will disagree), a calming explanation while maintaining firm composure could have prevented this.
If they unlawfully stopped you (quite possible) settle is later with criminal and civil charges, don't attack them. This should have been resolved in a court room with all parties alive, instead of how it turned out...…

Even confronting him the way they did is aggressive and rash. If he had done something illegal and his intent was to escape, would he really be running down the center of the road with that truck right there? They could have easily followed him and kept the police posted as to his location. If these guys get off, it's going to create the ability for actual racists (assuming they're not...even though they kind of are but might not be a lynch mob) to be able to set up a similar type scenario to get away with actual premeditated murder.

As to the rest of what you said in the above quote, screw that. I wouldn't go anywhere without a handgun if I lived in the South and either Cleatus or Jethro is going straight to hell with me. Hell, I might even kill both of them, handguns are much more maneuverable, after all, and I'm somewhat trained. I'm probably rusty, but I would stay up on it if I lived in the South and never leave home without my weapon. The guy in the truck would be the shootout. Jethro Jr. gets killed easily because I could draw before he even gets his gun up, then I use the front of the truck as cover and have a good old fashioned shootout with Cleatus, who I imagine crouches in the bed for cover. He can't hit me without leaving the bed of the truck and I can't really do anything to him without being exposed...so probably we have a stalemate until the cops get there. From my crouch, I'm going to put one more in Jethro's head just to be safe.

Quote:
This statement I take the most umbrage with. GA is one of the most diverse States in the country (many ranks above PA by the way)….. I live in a super diverse community, everyone gets along. Are there potentially rural areas in GA where there are some nasties still around? Probably. But, there were in NJ as well, and I am sure PA has just as many (if not more)…. Racist capital of the universe? That is just false. For one, just about every GCC country would take that cake in a heart beat...…. GA is not racist.... No more than any other state... But, worldwide? Please, look at the Middle East or Japan...…. Or many other countries that have policies specifically designed to favor their native race....

If you are speaking of just states here is an interesting graph I just found by Googling most racist state:
https://awario.com/blog/most-racist-states-social-listening-study/

(GA is pretty low, far lower than PA). They judge the level of racism by hate group activity and racist tweets flagged from each state.... The north has a lot of closet racists. I grew up in NJ, supposedly liberal paradise of the East Coast , all white school, people were very progressive on paper, but when it came to integrating other regions into the school? Well you know how it goes....

Sorry the South is not as racist as you seem to think. In fact it empirically is more diverse and culturally mixed than most of the north....

By the way I am against confederate flags (the treason flag) and confederate monuments, so please don't gaslight me into that category. But, the South can be empirically defended for diversity, especially in metro areas....

I have described myself as a nationalist, but not a racist (confusing terminology to some), I love America, and I support and work side by side any American. America is strong because of our diversity and we need to embrace that to become one nation and put racial identities aside. I know due to history this will take time, I am also a realist, there has been a terrible history in America.

Anyway that is my defense of the South (I love it, especially the coastal South), and I love the people, if you hate it, well that is your right.

I apologize for your offense at my take on the South. I will say that being more diverse does not automatically equate to being less racist. For one thing, there's a little bit of a historically relevant reason that you might be aware of that would have caused you to start with more African-Americans down there than a state such as PA has. I'm sure you can guess what that reason is---immigration! Well, it wasn't exactly immigration, now was it?

The Twitter results are totally skewed. Yeah, if you have triple the percentage of African-Americans compared to PA, then you're going to have a lower percentage of people espousing racism against African-Americans on Twitter. That's not particularly hard to imagine. You'll also notice that your study did not include any racist comments made against Caucasians, so as a result, some racist comments were automatically not included. Therefore, African-Americans (and others) saying racist things about white people are not represented in any way whatsoever in the study.

So, what is the point of the study? Can only white people be racists and never subject to racism? While it seems a more likely case; it doesn't seem exactly right, does it?

Virtually everywhere can be empirically defended for diversity in metro areas, except something like Maine. Maine is as white as Wonder bread.

I do indeed hate the South and quite wish we had become two separate countries because the Southern culture is a total embarrassment to the more civilized parts of the country. While Georgia is right there with PA and OH in education, the South, in general, is disproportionately represented on the bottom of the list.

While you're an exception, the Rebel Flag that folks down there cling so desperately to as an example of, "Southern Pride," is itself a national embarrassment. What the hell even is Southern Pride? What are you proud of? Having the Ten Commandments at the Government buildings while fighting to exclude other religions? Southern Baptists? Your disgusting excuse for cuisine? The fact that you guys attempted to secede from the Union and got your @$$e$ completely handed to you in a one-sided annihilation?

Your blind sense of American patriotism? Your tone of aggression towards the world and advocation for interventionist and imperialistic military policies? The complete and total regional incapacity for any self-reflection whatsoever?

Your accents? Please tell me you're not proud of your accents.

But, seriously, aside from being proud for pride's sake, WHAT about the South is there to be proud of? That the white people are generally polite to the other white people provided the second set of white people are from the South originally? That just makes you a poorly educated Minnesota with slightly better food and significantly more annoying voices. The Southern idea of culture (and Minnesota) is deep-frying snack food items.

The would-be lack of civil rights? The clamoring for some borderline insane concept of freedom whilst, over and over again, trying to eliminate any laws vis-a-vis equality that the Christians would be against? YES, we are all for freedom for the things we like, and if we don't like it, you're restricting our freedoms!

As a Libertarian, I will say that I strongly favor the Tenth Amendment and would greatly reduce what the Federal Government does and does not do restricting them specifically to only the roles provided for under The Constitution. What does that mean for the South? It means that, other than the fact that you will still have to begrudgingly allow for the most basic of Civil Rights and equal treatment (HA!!!!) under the law, you can do whatever you want to. Preferably secede if we can make a Constitutional Amendment that would enable such a thing. We can have free trade, defense alliance and open borders.

But, seriously, get out by any means possible. A good portion of America doesn't even want you and a good portion of you would prefer not to be here. The country consisting of Northern states and some Western states becomes considerably more respected on the world stage overnight with the South gone.

Quote:
You could be right, its hard to see exactly. I am sure the trial and investigation will uncover more concrete chain of events based on witness and other recording available that we may not know of yet. Like I said, I am open minded. I am trying to show that there is more than one side to this story. It is not a clear cut case of racism in GA.

We shall see. The fact that they were released the first time without charges is a clear cut case of racism in Georgia. The way Jethro and Cleatus even approached the dude to begin with is a clear cut case of racism in Georgia.

I want you to ask yourself...and be painfully honest, "What would Jethro and Cleatus have done if the guy had been white?"

Quote:
Well yes and no. If he matched the description of past criminals and they saw him wandering a construction site, maybe.

You are right they don't know his history (unless it turns out that they did, being a former police officer, he has ways to track who he can be)…..
But, for us , we know that he was almost certainly up to no good. And, no, that does not mean he deserves to be shot.....

You have to get through so many layers of things that don't even really matter to get to what does. In order to make a citizens arrest in Georgia, you need to be a witness to or have probable suspicion that someone committed a FELONY. Not that some guy matched the description (oh, and what does that even mean, that they were both black?) of someone who may have done something that wasn't even a felony to begin with. And, Cleatus made the mistake of admitting that he didn't even suspect burglary!

Okay, and so what if they did know his history? Again, we can't just set up posses to run around detaining people because they have prior crimes, much less accosting them with weapons. Trust me, there are plenty of child predators that I would LOVE to run around and just kill if you could do that, and I know their addresses, but you can't do that. Those are the rules, I didn't write them.

Regardless of who he is, they have to have probable suspicion of a felony to attempt a citizens arrest. Not only did they not, they even admitted they did not.

Quote:
You may be right. I have said in my non-expert opinion that Zimmerman probably would have been found guilty of manslaughter, but the murder charges were too over the top. If they go for murder, I am guessing it will be a similar outcome. But, again, a lot still remains to be seen.

I actually agree with you, at least in this case, that murder charges are over the top and unlikely to be successful. Murder is a premeditated thing in the First Degree, and I very seriously doubt that even Jethro and Cleatus planned to kill the guy. I really do. My hatred for the South aside, there's just no way you can convince me they planned to kill him because they would have just drew and fired before he got close enough to even attempt a counterattack. They wouldn't have yelled at him. None of it.

But, just because you're not a First Degree Murderer doesn't mean you haven't killed someone, as we know, and they are most certainly responsible for his death. Not only did they have no real reason to try to apprehend him, such attempt was itself completely illegal. Even the cops wouldn't have approached him with guns at the ready, but Cleatus and Jethro felt the need to do so.

It's just so Southern. Just so so stereotypical Southern. Makes me want to eat a plate of fried chicken, drink some sweet tea and fire a shotgun in the air five times while I (censored) with my other hand to a picture of Dolly Parton in an American flag dress.

Just to clarify, I’m being totally sarcastic. I know you know that, but I want to make absolutely clear that sweet tea is disgusting. No wonder half of you are missing most of your teeth.

WOO! AMERICA!!!! U.S.A.!!!! U.S.A.!!!!!

Quote:
But, two things are certain:

1. Arbery is not a perfect citizen (yes none of us are, certainly not me), but he especially has a very checkered past and never reacts well when confronted (based on the two incidents that the public can view body cam of.....) I am sorry, but this shows that he has aggressive inclinations. If he is willing to go at polite cops like that, imagine what he does when confronted by citizens? ……

2. Nobody should be dead. It is a tragedy. But, I am not comfortable calling it murder until more is uncovered. At most I would maybe be willing to go to manslaughter and whatever its called in GA for illegally detaining somebody (some legal term for it)….. But, again, more will need to come out.

1.) Irrelevant and likely not known to the assailants. Even if it had been, irrelevant.

-Actually, not totally irrelevant. If the assailants knew he had a history of aggressive behavior, that makes confronting him with weapons drawn (or at all) an even more stupid thing to do as him defending himself becomes the most likely possible result. This tips the scales even more in favor of not engaging him at all.

2.) I know two guys who should be dead, but that's not the way the justice system works, so legally, they should not be dead.

I otherwise agree with the charges that you have stipulated.

Quote:
I am 100% certain they were not wanting to kill him, there is no way they would be on the phone with 911..... This was not some racist hunt with rednecks in pickup trucks with shotguns like people are portraying it on my side of the isle.

I agree with the not wanting to kill him part. I strenuously disagree with the remainder of your statement.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 22nd, 2020 at 6:48:53 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
I totally get that, but it looks to me like he is running at them without a care in the world. Again, and it's not a great video, but it doesn't look to me like they necessarily presented any weapons until he got fairly close. The guy on the passenger side definitely didn't present anything until he got close. I think maybe he would have went the route of running away if he had rounded that bend and Father and Son Clampett had been standing there with shotguns already pointed at him.

That's how it seems to me, anyway. And, being presented with the scenario as third-parties watching a video, it's really easy to conjure up the best response to the situation, but Arbery did not have the advantage of any such contemplation.

Again, not much time to really think anything. I think he was thinking that they would just gun him down in cold blood if he didn't engage. Why wouldn't he think that? Charging the guy on the ground is a good strategy if you are going to fight because the guy in the truck isn't going to risk taking the shot and hitting Jethro. Or, better yet, he takes the shot and hits Jethro and then Arbery might be able to get the shotgun and return fire on Cleatus.

I don't know. If Arbery figured they were going to gun him down if he ran, really, fighting was his only chance from his perspective.

I guess that's all well and fine if you're in a line of work in which you might have to confront two armed men whilst you are unarmed. If you don't anticipate that ever really being the case for you, then you probably wouldn't seek out that kind of training.

You also don't need a PhD in Strategic Planning to know that a bullet may well kill you if you run away. There's only so much you can do. Keep in mind, Arbery may have had no reason to believe that Lynchburg P.D. called the actual police. Trees aside, that area seems pretty open and also pretty open once you get on either side of the tree line. His only choices (assuming Arbery thought they intended to kill him) are to run a zigzag pattern and hope they miss, or fight.

You know, I think any alternative puts a lot of assumptions on Arbery that he had no reason to assume. He had a couple seconds (at most) to act based on the information presented to him.

Even confronting him the way they did is aggressive and rash. If he had done something illegal and his intent was to escape, would he really be running down the center of the road with that truck right there? They could have easily followed him and kept the police posted as to his location. If these guys get off, it's going to create the ability for actual racists (assuming they're not...even though they kind of are but might not be a lynch mob) to be able to set up a similar type scenario to get away with actual premeditated murder.

As to the rest of what you said in the above quote, screw that. I wouldn't go anywhere without a handgun if I lived in the South and either Cleatus or Jethro is going straight to hell with me. Hell, I might even kill both of them, handguns are much more maneuverable, after all, and I'm somewhat trained. I'm probably rusty, but I would stay up on it if I lived in the South and never leave home without my weapon. The guy in the truck would be the shootout. Jethro Jr. gets killed easily because I could draw before he even gets his gun up, then I use the front of the truck as cover and have a good old fashioned shootout with Cleatus, who I imagine crouches in the bed for cover. He can't hit me without leaving the bed of the truck and I can't really do anything to him without being exposed...so probably we have a stalemate until the cops get there. From my crouch, I'm going to put one more in Jethro's head just to be safe.

I apologize for your offense at my take on the South. I will say that being more diverse does not automatically equate to being less racist. For one thing, there's a little bit of a historically relevant reason that you might be aware of that would have caused you to start with more African-Americans down there than a state such as PA has. I'm sure you can guess what that reason is---immigration! Well, it wasn't exactly immigration, now was it?

The Twitter results are totally skewed. Yeah, if you have triple the percentage of African-Americans compared to PA, then you're going to have a lower percentage of people espousing racism against African-Americans on Twitter. That's not particularly hard to imagine. You'll also notice that your study did not include any racist comments made against Caucasians, so as a result, some racist comments were automatically not included. Therefore, African-Americans (and others) saying racist things about white people are not represented in any way whatsoever in the study.

So, what is the point of the study? Can only white people be racists and never subject to racism? While it seems a more likely case; it doesn't seem exactly right, does it?

Virtually everywhere can be empirically defended for diversity in metro areas, except something like Maine. Maine is as white as Wonder bread.

I do indeed hate the South and quite wish we had become two separate countries because the Southern culture is a total embarrassment to the more civilized parts of the country. While Georgia is right there with PA and OH in education, the South, in general, is disproportionately represented on the bottom of the list.

While you're an exception, the Rebel Flag that folks down there cling so desperately to as an example of, "Southern Pride," is itself a national embarrassment. What the hell even is Southern Pride? What are you proud of? Having the Ten Commandments at the Government buildings while fighting to exclude other religions? Southern Baptists? Your disgusting excuse for cuisine? The fact that you guys attempted to secede from the Union and got your @$$e$ completely handed to you in a one-sided annihilation?

Your blind sense of American patriotism? Your tone of aggression towards the world and advocation for interventionist and imperialistic military policies? The complete and total regional incapacity for any self-reflection whatsoever?

Your accents? Please tell me you're not proud of your accents.

But, seriously, aside from being proud for pride's sake, WHAT about the South is there to be proud of? That the white people are generally polite to the other white people provided the second set of white people are from the South originally? That just makes you a poorly educated Minnesota with slightly better food and significantly more annoying voices. The Southern idea of culture (and Minnesota) is deep-frying snack food items.

The would-be lack of civil rights? The clamoring for some borderline insane concept of freedom whilst, over and over again, trying to eliminate any laws vis-a-vis equality that the Christians would be against? YES, we are all for freedom for the things we like, and if we don't like it, you're restricting our freedoms!

As a Libertarian, I will say that I strongly favor the Tenth Amendment and would greatly reduce what the Federal Government does and does not do restricting them specifically to only the roles provided for under The Constitution. What does that mean for the South? It means that, other than the fact that you will still have to begrudgingly allow for the most basic of Civil Rights and equal treatment (HA!!!!) under the law, you can do whatever you want to. Preferably secede if we can make a Constitutional Amendment that would enable such a thing. We can have free trade, defense alliance and open borders.

But, seriously, get out by any means possible. A good portion of America doesn't even want you and a good portion of you would prefer not to be here. The country consisting of Northern states and some Western states becomes considerably more respected on the world stage overnight with the South gone.

We shall see. The fact that they were released the first time without charges is a clear cut case of racism in Georgia. The way Jethro and Cleatus even approached the dude to begin with is a clear cut case of racism in Georgia.

I want you to ask yourself...and be painfully honest, "What would Jethro and Cleatus have done if the guy had been white?"

You have to get through so many layers of things that don't even really matter to get to what does. In order to make a citizens arrest in Georgia, you need to be a witness to or have probable suspicion that someone committed a FELONY. Not that some guy matched the description (oh, and what does that even mean, that they were both black?) of someone who may have done something that wasn't even a felony to begin with. And, Cleatus made the mistake of admitting that he didn't even suspect burglary!

Okay, and so what if they did know his history? Again, we can't just set up posses to run around detaining people because they have prior crimes, much less accosting them with weapons. Trust me, there are plenty of child predators that I would LOVE to run around and just kill if you could do that, and I know their addresses, but you can't do that. Those are the rules, I didn't write them.

Regardless of who he is, they have to have probable suspicion of a felony to attempt a citizens arrest. Not only did they not, they even admitted they did not.

I actually agree with you, at least in this case, that murder charges are over the top and unlikely to be successful. Murder is a premeditated thing in the First Degree, and I very seriously doubt that even Jethro and Cleatus planned to kill the guy. I really do. My hatred for the South aside, there's just no way you can convince me they planned to kill him because they would have just drew and fired before he got close enough to even attempt a counterattack. They wouldn't have yelled at him. None of it.

But, just because you're not a First Degree Murderer doesn't mean you haven't killed someone, as we know, and they are most certainly responsible for his death. Not only did they have no real reason to try to apprehend him, such attempt was itself completely illegal. Even the cops wouldn't have approached him with guns at the ready, but Cleatus and Jethro felt the need to do so.

It's just so Southern. Just so so stereotypical Southern. Makes me want to eat a plate of fried chicken, drink some sweet tea and fire a shotgun in the air five times while I (censored) with my other hand to a picture of Dolly Parton in an American flag dress.

Just to clarify, I’m being totally sarcastic. I know you know that, but I want to make absolutely clear that sweet tea is disgusting. No wonder half of you are missing most of your teeth.

WOO! AMERICA!!!! U.S.A.!!!! U.S.A.!!!!!

1.) Irrelevant and likely not known to the assailants. Even if it had been, irrelevant.

-Actually, not totally irrelevant. If the assailants knew he had a history of aggressive behavior, that makes confronting him with weapons drawn (or at all) an even more stupid thing to do as him defending himself becomes the most likely possible result. This tips the scales even more in favor of not engaging him at all.

2.) I know two guys who should be dead, but that's not the way the justice system works, so legally, they should not be dead.

I otherwise agree with the charges that you have stipulated.

I agree with the not wanting to kill him part. I strenuously disagree with the remainder of your statement.

I am going to intentionally ignore (not ignore, but not respond) to much of your quote. We agree on some things, the places where we disagree are based on perception and situational awareness, and until more evidence gets released to the public via trial or other mean it is unlikely that either of us will change our views. I am an agnostic on this issue, there is too much gray area. If I was on the jury, I would vote not guilty to murder based on the current information, simply because "beyond a reasonable doubt" is not present in my mind.... (Also GA has the death penalty which I vehemently oppose, and that alone biases me towards cases where that could be a sentencing option). Would I vote guilty on a lesser charge? Maybe, it depends on the charge and depends on how it is presented (a job for the lawyers)…. I know we have some lawyers on this board who I am sure will chime in on what they feel is legally rational.

But, I mostly wanted to respond to your jaded portrayal of the American SouthEast. I don't know how old you are, but from your comments, I can only surmise you have either not visited the South since long before I was born or your understanding of the South is only from Hollywood....

First Confederate Flags. I am a Jersey native, I lived in a super liberal coastal jersey town. People in my HS and college wore them all of the time. When I was in the NJ National Guard, somebody who had a confederate flag on their truck had their windows shot up in AC (I don't know if that is why, but I have my suspicions) when we were at the Trump Taj Mahal (what is now Hard Rock) for a drill..... They were everywhere.... In HS I legit knew people whose parents were in the KKK. I have yet to meet a KKK member in GA (maybe they are more discrete, I don't know, also don't really care, its a fringe group of like 5k across all of North America... Not a group to be fearful of in 2020.... ). I know this is all anecdotal, but on this issue I can only speak from my direct experience.

Confederate flags on Statehouses and Gov Buildings? Not in GA (a quick Google search said not since 2001...) .... No locally either.... I have legitimately never seen one flown anywhere in GA (in VA I have to be fair).
Even so, I am against the confederate flag (Confederate Battle Flag more accurately). But, not everyone who flies one is a racist. It is a multi-layered issue.

You say the U.S. would be better off if the South (also this requires clarification of specific states) were out of the Union. This is just wrong.
For one, this was attempted once, and caused the most damaging war in American history.... I am a Federalist through and through.
You say "uncivilized" , I enjoy the culture here 100% more than NJ or NY. I can walk down the street talk to random people, almost any stranger will help with almost anything. Try that in NY.... People don't even like to make eye contact. The South is just more down to earth. Some people don't like this because I guess business 24/7, fine, but I and many others enjoy open cultures. Yes, all anecdotal..... Again my experience.

The South is not as racist as you think (I would argue less so than most of the North). As for test scores, yeah, many poor and rural communities bring down the grades, anyway since when do conservatives care about standardized test scores? This is also slowly improving regardless.....

I moved to GA (Savannah) by choice. I love it here. Fun city. Great history. I have not lived one place up north that I genuinely liked. There are some metro areas of New England that I like, but I am not a winter/snow person so...… I have considered moving elsewhere. FL or TX or NV would be my next places to experience, I love the climate and culture of all of those states. But, I don't plan on moving in the near future. You act like people are desperate to get out of the South, maybe.... Not me..... I love it....

I am an atheist, I don't support mythical texts in courtrooms, but I also do not lose sleep over it, its not the most pressing issue regarding religion that we are facing.... Also, this exists in DC and all over the country, hardly a "Southern" thing.....

I am not a "Southern Pride" person and have never said this. I am a nationalist. I believe in American Pride and America First period. I have also met very few (like literally a handful) of people who actually care about Southern Pride..... Its stupid. But, no more stupid than having pride in a local football team that you have no involvement in....

The United States would not be better without the South (specifically FL, GA, and SC). We would lose key ports, key transit hubs, key economies, agricultural centers, cultural centers (I don't know if you know this but Atlanta is basically Hollywood 2.0.....) and most military bases that actually matter. In fact without the South the country would be defensively and economically crippled, so that is just a foolish thing to say and empirically wrong..... We would be economically and militarily weaker without the South (even with just those three states)….

As for accents. They are pretty rare (again, I think you are getting most of your opinions from Hollywood), most people talk "normal" (I say normal as somebody raised and educated in NJ)….. Also, who cares? Its all based on what you are used to. Everyone has an accent.... Visit the UK, you will sound like a muppet to everyone there.....

Your point of the current diversity being based on past horrors? To some degree yes. My great grandparents were poor Finnish immigrants who died in the coal mines of Michigan. I have less "American heritage" than most people who were brought here as slaves.... Its irrelevant we are all here now, and we need to work together to continue to make America the International powerhouse that is has been for decades... I love history and culture. But, we need to use the past to build a stronger future...

I have lived in the South for about three years. I love it. I don't know if your opinion is based on experience, research, or dramatic depictions (though I can surmise), but you are writing off a large portion of the country to the point where you say that they do not deserve to be a member of the country , you are simply wrong.... There are many great people in the South.... And, even if you don't care about that, the country would be crippled without the South.

I know where I live, my Mayor is great, and African American, my Police Chief is African American, my City Manager is Hispanic, my City Council is all African American (except for one Gay White Man who thankfully beat the former Councilman last fall -who was also gay- but very corrupt, nothing to do with his race or sexuality)…. The idea that GA is run by White Straight Christians is absurd..... Again, I hate identity politics, but it is only valuable to point out to show that all groups are represented.... I can only speak for my experience, and I find the South many times more diverse and inclusive than the North. I can't recall a single gay politician in NJ (well I guess the governor when I was in grade school who was forced to resign due to his sexual orientation)….

You have made sweeping claims about a large swath of America, and I do not feel that they hold any merit. In the South, people care more about your actions and competence. You have to prove your worth to employers, and people take you more seriously when you do. Its far less "systemic" than the north. I don't believe in "the good ole boy" system down here, because I have not seen it, but I have seen it many times in the North....
Again, yes anecdotal, but much of this can only be responded to from my experience. But, if you want facts, again: America would be crippled militarily and economically impudent without SC, GA, FL, and TX....
May 22nd, 2020 at 8:21:45 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Mission146

But, seriously, aside from being proud for pride's sake, WHAT about the South is there to be proud of?

Wow, a lot of writing I agree with, a lot I don't. Its a lot to take in.
I really appreciate your long posts. I really do. A lot of good insight but you took things too far regarding the South
As to your above sentence, are you f**king kidding me
Hmm
Robert Johnson
Muddy Waters
BB King
ELVIS
This is the birth of rock music. Where would we be without these greats.
And Country music which I have to admit I am recently really appreciating due to Ken Burn's Country music
The Carter Family
Johnny Cash.
The list is endless
Don't forget the fabulous music out of Muscle Shoals
and
of
course
THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND. My 2nd favorite band after the Dead. Fantastic southern music building on the blues. They took pride in the South because their heroes were Bluesmen from the South.
The history of music in the South is deep and rich, a lot to be proud of.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:26:50 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I am going to intentionally ignore (not ignore, but not respond) to much of your quote. We agree on some things, the places where we disagree are based on perception and
situational awareness, and until more evidence gets released to the public via trial or other mean it is unlikely that either of us will change our views. I am an agnostic on this issue, there is too much gray area. If I was on the jury, I would vote not guilty to murder based on the current information, simply because "beyond a reasonable doubt" is not present in my mind.... (Also GA has the death penalty which I vehemently oppose, and that alone biases me towards cases where that could be a sentencing option). Would I vote guilty on a lesser charge? Maybe, it depends on the charge and depends on how it is presented (a job for the lawyers)…. I know we have some lawyers on this board who I am sure will chime in on what they feel is legally rational.

That's probably a fair statement, but I think we're closer on this one than we think. You're saying it's possibly involuntary manslaughter, I'm saying it's almost certainly involuntary manslaughter and we're both saying it's definitely not First Degree Murder. I would vote Not Guilty on First Degree Murder simply on the grounds that I can't find premeditation to kill; their actions speak otherwise. I'm not really up on hate crime laws, to be honest, so there might be something there worse than Involuntary Manslaughter that could apply. You can lock in my guilty vote on that and I'm usually the guy you want on your jury.

The death penalty is a non-consideration for me because, not only am I not personally opposed, I think someone convicted of anything should be given the right to die of their own volition. Saves money, among other reasons. More than that, I consider it an issue for the individual states. Jethro and Cleatus probably deserve to die, or be locked up for the rest of their lives as a tremendous and ongoing danger to society, but the law doesn't support that.

Quote:
But, I mostly wanted to respond to your jaded portrayal of the American SouthEast. I don't know how old you are, but from your comments, I can only surmise you have either not visited the South since long before I was born or your understanding of the South is only from Hollywood....

Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia. Good enough? Oh, and I'm born in West Virginia, which is de facto part of the South, as far as I am concerned. They're polite enough, but you can bet your @$$ you'll never find dumber people on average, except maybe Kentucky. These are the people that you'll go to the store and your total will be something like $7.82, so you give them $23 and they just give you a blank stare. Then they'll say, "It's only $7.82, the twenty is enough," and try to hand the singles back to you, as if I don't F#^&%$&ing already know that. "Oh, twenty is more than $7.82? Thank you for your help!" I'm obviously trying to get a ten and a five back because the other result would be having five singles, which makes no sense.

It's pretty much the same in the South, from my experience. Up here, the cashiers are at least intelligent enough to figure I might have some idea what I'm doing, ring it in and see what happens. I figure most of them probably understand my intent, but that's what an eighth grade equivalent education will get you.

Quote:
First Confederate Flags. I am a Jersey native, I lived in a super liberal coastal jersey town. People in my HS and college wore them all of the time. When I was in the NJ National Guard, somebody who had a confederate flag on their truck had their windows shot up in AC (I don't know if that is why, but I have my suspicions) when we were at the Trump Taj Mahal (what is now Hard Rock) for a drill..... They were everywhere.... In HS I legit knew people whose parents were in the KKK. I have yet to meet a KKK member in GA (maybe they are more discrete, I don't know, also don't really care, its a fringe group of like 5k across all of North America... Not a group to be fearful of in 2020.... ). I know this is all anecdotal, but on this issue I can only speak from my direct experience.

I agree with the first part of what you said, but we also know where the Confederate flag started. More than that, you see it a lot in WV and OH, though not as much in PA, from my experience. Of course, I spend as little time as possible in Pennsyltucky, so maybe it's different. As far as I'm concerned, if they like the Blood-Stained Banner so much, they can move their happy @$$3$ down to the South where they, and the flag, belong. In fact, you guys can obviously have West Virginia, if you even want it.

Quote:
Confederate flags on Statehouses and Gov Buildings? Not in GA (a quick Google search said not since 2001...) .... No locally either.... I have legitimately never seen one flown anywhere in GA (in VA I have to be fair).
Even so, I am against the confederate flag (Confederate Battle Flag more accurately). But, not everyone who flies one is a racist. It is a multi-layered issue.

2001? Well, excuse me, I didn't realize you guys were so Progressive on this issue that long ago in the past and you have my apologies.

It is a multilayered issue. If you fly it, you're either:

A. A racist.

OR:

B. One of the least sensitive people in this entire country.

So, two layers. You're quite right.

Quote:
You say the U.S. would be better off if the South (also this requires clarification of specific states) were out of the Union. This is just wrong.
For one, this was attempted once, and caused the most damaging war in American history.... I am a Federalist through and through.
You say "uncivilized" , I enjoy the culture here 100% more than NJ or NY. I can walk down the street talk to random people, almost any stranger will help with almost anything. Try that in NY.... People don't even like to make eye contact. The South is just more down to earth. Some people don't like this because I guess business 24/7, fine, but I and many others enjoy open cultures. Yes, all anecdotal..... Again my experience.

It did cause the most damaging war because the South's efforts failed. The Union should have beaten all hell out of the Confederates, which they did, made them promise never to have the institution of slavery again and then let them have their disgusting country. Either that, or kill all of the plantation owners and Confederate soldiers outright. The biggest mistake the Union made was accepting your surrender when we could have easily wiped them off the map entirely.

Yeah, you've got a bunch of people down there who are outwardly polite and are total backbiters and hypocrites behind closed doors. You've got these church-goers who preach the, 'Word of God,' and call out their own supposed friends who are doing the wrong thing...but then you find out they've themselves cheated on their spouses. I remember we had some sort of Church of Christ I went to for about two years...anyway, both the preacher and then the second guy who became the preacher ended up cheating on their wives...both with other wives of the church! Isn't it a beautiful institution? As I understand, the first guy is a preacher at the same denomination of church in Columbus now.

Do you suppose he teaches, "The Nine Commandments?" I know of at least one that he's not so fond of.

Look at this Protestant affiliation by state:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/12091/tracking-religious-affiliation-state-state.aspx

I'm giving you West Virginia who, even by Southern standards, is a total embarrassment. That means the South would own the Top 10 with exception only to Oklahoma. Even with Florida, which is considerably people from the North, the mean score for the South has to be in the mid to high sixties.

And then, if you whip out a word someone doesn't know you just get this weird look, right? They'll just look at you. They won't say anything, just look. The confusion in their eyes initially betrays them and the stare that follows is just creepy. I haven't spent a LOT of time in the South, but this has happened more times than I count, and of course, some of you unfortunately make your way up here from time to time. They don't know what the word means and they won't ask because they're embarrassed. But, it's nothing new for White Protestants to have all of the intellectual curiosity of a cucumber, now is it?

But, yeah, you guys are publicly more polite than we are. Nobody in Pittsburgh has ever helped someone carry out groceries or put a shopping cart back for an elderly person, etc. etc.

I mean, granted, you guys are more SHOWY about your politeness. Saying, "Good morning," to random passerby as if I believe for a second that they actually give one sweet ^$%^&$ what kind of morning I have. They've never seen me before. There's no way that they care. They can shove good morning up their @$$ and quit wasting my time is what they can do.

Excuse me, it's "Good mornin'," because nearly every single one of them drops the 'G.' Maybe even throw a 'darlin'' after for good measure. Please don't call me darling because I'm not your child and it disgusts me, thank you. God, those people are completely insufferable.

At least we're real human beings up here. We comport ourselves politely, hold doors (at least I do and lots of others), yield if someone is crossing our path and have a hand-wave, "Go ahead," battle until someone submits. All of the polite actions, but we don't go around talking to everyone for no reason because we're not stupid enough to believe that the person we are talking to actually gives one crap about what we have to say. You never know what some Southerner thinks about you, up here, if I don't like you...don't worry...it won't be hard to tell.

You can call it, "Down to Earth," and I'll call it they're a bunch of sanctimonious and totally fake morons.

Quote:
The South is not as racist as you think (I would argue less so than most of the North). As for test scores, yeah, many poor and rural communities bring down the grades, anyway since when do conservatives care about standardized test scores? This is also slowly improving regardless.....

I already explained your Twitter poll; it was a junk measurement. If you have 30% African-Americans, then you're not going to see them talked about badly on Twitter as frequently. The separation between PA and GA is 1.55%, but you have nearly 20% more African-Americans than PA. It's not difficult to identify a cause for the disparity.

I am not talking about standardized tests, I'm talking about educational attainment. You can look it up for yourself. There are seventeen states below the mean H.S. Diploma or higher, and you guys can claim ten of them. That's with the North claiming West Virginia, by the way, which we really shouldn't. What did the Confederacy have, thirteen states, and now you have 10/13 riding the bottom in educational attainment?

Well, that's what being heavy on religion will do for you. The ironic thing is I probably have a greater working knowledge of The Bible than most of them, but that's what being smart enough to actually read information and retain it will get you.

Quote:
I moved to GA (Savannah) by choice. I love it here. Fun city. Great history. I have not lived one place up north that I genuinely liked. There are some metro areas of New England that I like, but I am not a winter/snow person so...… I have considered moving elsewhere. FL or TX or NV would be my next places to experience, I love the climate and culture of all of those states. But, I don't plan on moving in the near future. You act like people are desperate to get out of the South, maybe.... Not me..... I love it....

I don't think I've lived anywhere that I've genuinely liked, but unlike the South, I certainly don't hate it. I don't plan on moving in the near future, either, but I might move out West one day. Probably not to Nevada. I might also move to Florida, but Florida's not really what I'm talking about.

Quote:
I am an atheist, I don't support mythical texts in courtrooms, but I also do not lose sleep over it, its not the most pressing issue regarding religion that we are facing.... Also, this exists in DC and all over the country, hardly a "Southern" thing.....

I have cited the statistics above. High religious propensity negatively correlates with educational attainment. IOW, they're idiots. That's why they believe in God in the first place, you know. They take comfort in the notion that there is something greater than this life because they otherwise lack the intellectual capacity to accept the fundamental meaninglessness of their own lives. They cannot accept randomness. They do not understand why bad things happen, sometimes to, 'Good people,' if you really want to call them that...and therefore find it necessary to seek out a higher purpose and grand plan for the whole thing.

They introduce the concept of God in every day conversation and act shocked when their fundamental notions are challenged, because they lack the intellectual wherewithal to defend same. They say they will pray for me and I tell them what they can do with their prayers. They ascribe everything that happens, including things that could be made better, as being part of, "God's will," or some divine plan.

Granted, they are probably not looking for a challenge. But, increasingly, they are not getting the conformity and unquestioning acceptance to which they have become accustomed. That's because they won't give the same acceptance to anyone else.

And, as it turns out, they don't like the taste of their own medicine. Well, that's just too bad. The good news is, in several generations, they will all have died because they don't have the replacement numbers as we become increasingly secular, which is to say more intelligent, on average.

Quote:
I am not a "Southern Pride" person and have never said this. I am a nationalist. I believe in American Pride and America First period. I have also met very few (like literally a handful) of people who actually care about Southern Pride..... Its stupid. But, no more stupid than having pride in a local football team that you have no involvement in....

Your pride is misplaced and is one of the fundamental elements that make us such a laughingstock on the world stage. Granted, you are personally more than capable of defending your positions, but most people who espouse such pride cannot. They vote often for Republicans because they are seen as, "More patriotic," whatever the hell that means. I guess it means more warmongering and imperialistic in nature, because Republicans are certainly good at that.

Thou shalt not kill, though, never forget.

Quote:
The United States would not be better without the South (specifically FL, GA, and SC). We would lose key ports, key transit hubs, key economies, agricultural centers, cultural centers (I don't know if you know this but Atlanta is basically Hollywood 2.0.....) and most military bases that actually matter. In fact without the South the country would be defensively and economically crippled, so that is just a foolish thing to say and empirically wrong..... We would be economically and militarily weaker without the South (even with just those three states)….

I'll take the tradeoff, and I wasn't really including Florida.

Quote:
As for accents. They are pretty rare (again, I think you are getting most of your opinions from Hollywood), most people talk "normal" (I say normal as somebody raised and educated in NJ)….. Also, who cares? Its all based on what you are used to. Everyone has an accent.... Visit the UK, you will sound like a muppet to everyone there.....

The notion that the Southern accent is, "Pretty rare," is patently absurd. You've been in the South, I've been in the South, the accent exists. It is what it is. It can be helped, but they wouldn't care to help it...but it's really no big deal, honestly. I just don't care to hear it. I naturally have something of an Appalachian accent, but I've mostly trained it out of my voice. Mostly by way of clearly enunciating. I sometimes still use, "Ta," instead of, "To, too, two," and I hate myself for it. I'll get better, work in progress.

Quote:
Your point of the current diversity being based on past horrors? To some degree yes. My great grandparents were poor Finnish immigrants who died in the coal mines of Michigan. I have less "American heritage" than most people who were brought here as slaves.... Its irrelevant we are all here now, and we need to work together to continue to make America the International powerhouse that is has been for decades... I love history and culture. But, we need to use the past to build a stronger future...

Yeah, go tell the White Protestants that. I am not the problem, here.

Quote:
I have lived in the South for about three years. I love it. I don't know if your opinion is based on experience, research, or dramatic depictions (though I can surmise), but you are writing off a large portion of the country to the point where you say that they do not deserve to be a member of the country , you are simply wrong.... There are many great people in the South.... And, even if you don't care about that, the country would be crippled without the South.

All of the above. Yes, there are more than zero great people. There are even more than zero great White Protestant Southerners, it's just not as statistically likely.

Quote:
I know where I live, my Mayor is great, and African American, my Police Chief is African American, my City Manager is Hispanic, my City Council is all African American (except for one Gay White Man who thankfully beat the former Councilman last fall -who was also gay- but very corrupt, nothing to do with his race or sexuality)…. The idea that GA is run by White Straight Christians is absurd..... Again, I hate identity politics, but it is only valuable to point out to show that all groups are represented.... I can only speak for my experience, and I find the South many times more diverse and inclusive than the North. I can't recall a single gay politician in NJ (well I guess the governor when I was in grade school who was forced to resign due to his sexual orientation)….

Yeah, the Mayor of Moundsville, WV (at least the most recent I am aware of) is/was African-American. They are still a bunch of polite, though uneducated, morons with a probability of being total racists that I put somewhere in the 25% area. The good news is that those ones are mostly dying off. In fact, one of the churches even closed down due to a lack of congregants a few years back, but it's a very slow progress. I'm glad I got the hell out of there. Both you and they can have your superficial and sanctimonious politeness.

Quote:
You have made sweeping claims about a large swath of America, and I do not feel that they hold any merit. In the South, people care more about your actions and competence. You have to prove your worth to employers, and people take you more seriously when you do. Its far less "systemic" than the north. I don't believe in "the good ole boy" system down here, because I have not seen it, but I have seen it many times in the North....
Again, yes anecdotal, but much of this can only be responded to from my experience. But, if you want facts, again: America would be crippled militarily and economically impudent without SC, GA, FL, and TX....

My claims are backed by statistics. It's not that all parties mentioned do not exist at all elsewhere, simply that they are more likely to exist in the South. I would be totally in favor of them getting the hell out of here and all of the religious types just taking the South, but I doubt they'll do us the favor.

I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to employers. If you have an employer in the North, you most certainly must do your job to remain employed. You would have to explain your specific position to me because I don't understand what you're trying to say. I think you were looking for impotent rather than impudent. Impudent means to be disrespectful.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:29:50 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
Wow, a lot of writing I agree with, a lot I don't. Its a lot to take in.
I really appreciate your long posts. I really do. A lot of good insight but you took things too far regarding the South
As to your above sentence, are you f**king kidding me
Hmm
Robert Johnson
Muddy Waters
BB King
ELVIS
This is the birth of rock music. Where would we be without these greats.

I do not concede the point. Though I enjoy music; music itself is ultimately immaterial to anything. Who the hell are Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters?

Quote:
And Country music which I have to admit I am recently really appreciating due to Ken Burn's Country music
The Carter Family
Johnny Cash.
The list is endless
Don't forget the fabulous music out of Muscle Shoals
and
of
course
THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND. My 2nd favorite band after the Dead. Fantastic southern music building on the blues. They took pride in the South because their heroes were Bluesmen from the South.
The history of music in the South is deep and rich, a lot to be proud of.

Johnny Cash is tolerable. I either have never heard of or strongly dislike all of the others. "Southern Rock," in general, is an abomination that does not deserve to be called, 'Rock.' The Eagles are probably one of the only exceptions to that, imho.
May 23rd, 2020 at 4:44:24 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Could I politely ask for Gandler and Mission to continue this discussion via pm? Perhaps 2% of the last multi page posts has anything to do with the Black Jogger.
May 23rd, 2020 at 4:49:33 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: SOOPOO
Could I politely ask for Gandler and Mission to continue this discussion via pm? Perhaps 2% of the last multi page posts has anything to do with the Black Jogger.

Keep it public. Skip over it if you don't want to read
I enjoy reading this thread
Cant believe you are complaining instead of doing the polite thing and just skip over it
May 23rd, 2020 at 7:14:50 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Keep it public. Skip over it if you don't want to read
I enjoy reading this thread
Cant believe you are complaining instead of doing the polite thing and just skip over it

I am not one to shy away from an occasional hijack. But this one was page after page. And I just added to it. Of course I can skip over it. However, I am actually interested in the topic and click on it to read about the topic. I don’t think it’s too much to ask to start a new thread if you want to talk about something different.
May 23rd, 2020 at 7:28:20 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
I am not one to shy away from an occasional hijack. But this one was page after page. And I just added to it. Of course I can skip over it. However, I am actually interested in the topic and click on it to read about the topic. I don’t think it’s too much to ask to start a new thread if you want to talk about something different.

I apologize if I offended you. The Hijack was only about 1.5 pages (really only less than 1 page of complete non jogger talk).

But, I dont view it as totally off-topic, Mission made assertions about certain states in relation to potential race relations which I felt was worth discussing as it relates to potential motives (or at least perceived motives).

I am still not on board with the notion that this was race based.... It could be... Or maybe they react to everyone this way..... I don’t know....

If you are going to make sweeping accusations about a large swath of America to condemn certain actions, it is only fair to respond.
Page 4 of 10<1234567>Last »