Stimulus

Page 3 of 86<123456>Last »
March 25th, 2020 at 8:14:58 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: terapined
What should republicans be fighting for to make sure you qualify and are they fighting for you?

Nobody fights for the middle class -- we have become America's punching bag
Not wealthy enough to have politicians fight for us
Not poor enough to have politicians give us freebies

Quote: ams288
Yes. Getting laid off sucks. I’d rather maintain my employment than take a few months of some extra government cash.

I think they should qualify for the $1200 or whatever the amount will end up being.

I think if it was truly a "stimulus" plan, then everyone would get the check and then it would affect our income tax returns next year

Quote: petroglyph
I don't see how you are not eligible for UI?

Also, I assume you have some kind of accountant, don't they average back and forward and all that with income, just for reasons like these?

It seems like your new business is a LLC? Don't customers pay it, and it pays you? I think your corporation should choose to pay UI benefits on it's partners, and any partners going forward, should they not be able to get enough hours or pay, should be able to file. At least that's how I see things.

Well, I was a sole practitioner up until August of 2018 when I took a job at a firm
Prior to August 2018, I had not one new client in 2018 and was living off my credit cards
From August 2018 through April 2019, I worked for a firm (after dealing with their gaslighting all those months, I walked out) and used any money not going to necessities to pay off the credit card debt I was in
A few weeks later they called to apologize, hired me back, and then fired me a few months later (I was ineligible for unemployment as I did not meet the NY standards for time worked)
I then have had only sporadic income in the past few months with a couple of small legal matters here and there

All that being said, in 2018 I earned about $70k
However, in 2019, before I was fired, I had earned about $100k

Foolishly, I thought I would get a head start this year on filing taxes and filed them at the end of February

If I had waited, I would be getting the stimulus as they would only be able to base it on my 2018 income

But, since I had a well-paying job (from which I couldn't really save anything because I was paying down credit card debt from the year before) in 2019 -- I am ineligible, despite the fact I lost that job in August of 2019 and have had little to no income since
March 26th, 2020 at 5:38:16 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: aceofspades
New York strikes again:

Well hopefully within a couple weeks it goes into effect for you.
March 26th, 2020 at 7:15:17 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Yes. Getting laid off sucks. I’d rather maintain my employment than take a few months of some extra government cash.

You must understand how rare a bird this would make you. Give someone the option of working and making less, or sitting home and making more...... I'll go with 90+% pick the latter.

There should NEVER be an incentive not to work. It is OK to help out during the crisis when individuals are being prevented from working.

I believe the bill does have incentives not to work.
March 26th, 2020 at 7:18:07 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
You must understand how rare a bird this would make you. Give someone the option of working and making less, or sitting home and making more...... I'll go with 90+% pick the latter.

There should NEVER be an incentive not to work. It is OK to help out during the crisis when individuals are being prevented from working.

I believe the bill does have incentives not to work.

I’m beginning to think the right wingers who are complaining about this don’t understand how getting “laid off” works.

But it’s irrelevant now. Graham, Sasse, and Scott lost the argument. The provision remains in the bill that the Senate passed.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 26th, 2020 at 7:22:42 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Gandler
New York strikes again:

This is only about 'extended benefits'. Regular benefits in NYS last 26 weeks. If you were laid off because of coronavirus, say, March 7, you are good until September 1. Not to say it is impossible, but all projections have the economy up and running well before then. Prior to the pandemic, there were jobs available at unprecedented levels. You couldn't walk by a store that didn't have a help wanted sign. Even the fast food restaurants had 'start at $13 an hour" signs up.
March 26th, 2020 at 7:32:27 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

I can't agree more. If people don't have to go to work it doesn't take long before they are unable to go to work. This is the insidious danger that exists in our current pay everyone to stay home plans. If we let this go on very long our countries are toast.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 26th, 2020 at 8:12:33 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Gandler
New York strikes again:

This is only about 'extended benefits'. Regular benefits in NYS last 26 weeks. If you were laid off because of coronavirus, say, March 7, you are good until September 1. Not to say it is impossible, but all projections have the economy up and running well before then. Prior to the pandemic, there were jobs available at unprecedented levels. You couldn't walk by a store that didn't have a help wanted sign. Even the fast food restaurants had 'start at $13 an hour" signs up.

Yes, but the extended benifit also has other benifits, increasing UI to 100% of prior income (up to 75k) instead of 60% (or whatever NY is). So it also does more to preserve your income level while looking for a job.
March 26th, 2020 at 8:58:10 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I just spoke to the court clerk regarding when a court date would be rescheduled
The clerk informed me the court will not begin issuing new dates until it is officially reopened and informed me that we are looking at the new court date being months away
The clerk also informed me that there is one Judge on duty and will only hear emergency order of protection applications

So, even if I was to have 10 new clients lined up, I would be unable to do any work for them

Nobody is paying me not to do work
March 26th, 2020 at 10:39:15 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Nobody is paying me not to do work

Welcome to our club. I may have to change my party affiliation to Democrat now that I will be living off of unemployment and social distributions.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 26th, 2020 at 11:34:22 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
It seems like a reasonable approach would have been to issue the stimulus checks to everyone, universally, and then claw back from rich people on 2020 returns.

This would solve Ace's problem, and anyone else who lost work in 2020 specifically due to the virus shutdown. Not sure why they didn't do that. It would have made the total amount only a tiny bit bigger, most of the cash is going to businesses anyway.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
Page 3 of 86<123456>Last »