No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

December 15th, 2020 at 7:29:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/13/us/deaths-covid-other-causes.html
Been a terrible year for the US
We are up to 356,000 deaths more then normal so far this year.
Only 300k attributed to covid
Deaths are abnormally high in a lot of categories
Pretty shocking
Taiwan still holding at just 7 measley deaths from covid
A country decides to get rid of the virus so people are safe and the economy can grow. Restaurants are not struggling in Taiwan. Pretty shocking it's not our country and we took the opposite approach
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 15th, 2020 at 7:55:05 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/13/us/deaths-covid-other-causes.html
Been a terrible year for the US
We are up to 356,000 deaths more then normal so far this year.
Only 300k attributed to covid
Deaths are abnormally high in a lot of categories
Pretty shocking
A country decides to get rid of the virus so people are safe and the economy can grow. Restaurants are not struggling in Taiwan. Pretty shocking it's not our country and we took the opposite approach

Ed.... you've made a post just like this around , well, I lost count... Please tell me what Taiwan did that we could have done to crush the virus? thanks.
December 15th, 2020 at 8:34:29 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: SOOPOO
Ed.... you've made a post just like this around , well, I lost count... Please tell me what Taiwan did that we could have done to crush the virus? thanks.

Step 1
Trump could have united the country against the virus. He could have easily crushed the anti mask and anti social distancing
Instead
He encouraged anti-maskers and anti social distancing
You cant get to step 2 if you refuse to take step 1
NOBODY in Taiwan's Govt was encouraging anti maskers or anti social distancing. Taiwan's Govt listened to science.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 15th, 2020 at 8:45:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Taiwan did not let people drive around the country in an RV so the virus could potentially spread I heard.
The President is a fink.
December 15th, 2020 at 9:04:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

So Taiwan's infections and deaths are the same as the Turks and Caicos despite having 600 times the population.

population
38,954 Turks and Caicos: 769 cases 6 deaths
23,836,464 Taiwan: 742 cases 7 deaths

Taiwan has basically the lowest death rate in the world except for small countries that basically do not acknowledge any deaths due to COVID.

Do not acknowledge any deaths due to COVID ranked by population
802 Vatican City
3,525 Falkland Islands
5,781 Saint Pierre Miquelon
11,148 Wallis and Futuna
15,064 Anguilla
48,948 Faeroe Islands
53,370 Saint Kitts and Nevis
56,815 Greenland
59,372 Marshall Islands
72,068 Dominica
98,624 Seychelles
111,101 St. Vincent Grenadines
112,761 Grenada
199,014 Samoa
286,744 New Caledonia
310,362 Vanuatu
653,338 Macao
694,426 Solomon Islands
775,459 Bhutan
1,329,745 Timor-Leste
3,302,111 Mongolia
3,568,613 Eritrea
7,323,265 Laos
16,823,580 Cambodia

Burundi (acknowledges one single death)
December 15th, 2020 at 10:58:51 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Step 1
Trump could have united the country against the virus. He could have easily crushed the anti mask and anti social distancing
Instead
He encouraged anti-maskers and anti social distancing
You cant get to step 2 if you refuse to take step 1
NOBODY in Taiwan's Govt was encouraging anti maskers or anti social distancing. Taiwan's Govt listened to science.

At what point, meaning name a date, would Trump saying "wear a mask when you can't social distance, and social distance at all possible times" would the US have been able to be as successful as Taiwan in limiting COVID-19 deaths? Your view is as simplistic as a kindergartener's. I am stopping the coronavirus by 'uniting the country'????????? There are states that HAVE had leaders (NY, as an example) tout the 'science', rally all to wear masks, social distance, etc... and our rates are SKYROCKETTING!

There was NOTHING that could have been done that our freedom loving country could stomach to stop the virus from infecting millions.

This is NOT saying there might not have been a DIFFERENCE had we had different leadership. I think there would have been a slower spread, as you imply, but I highly doubt we'd have a vaccine by now if the 'other side' was in charge.
December 15th, 2020 at 11:08:15 AM permalink
terapined
At what point, meaning name a date, would Trump saying "wear a mask when you can't social distance, and social distance at all possible times"

The same exact time Taiwan and the world learned about this virus. Taiwan took this virus deadly serious immediately. The USA had the same exact info Taiwn had. Taiwan acted immediately. Trump said the virus would simply go away taking the exact opposite approach of what Taiwan was doing.
If Trump insisted on wearing a mask and social distancing and actually practiced that from the start.
We would be living in a completely different country.
Trump had a shot at greatness and reelection if he took this deadly virus deadly serious right from the start.
The problem with Trump is he does not view the virus as the enemy of the country, he views anybody voting against him as the enemy of the country
December 15th, 2020 at 11:23:37 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think there would have been a slower spread, as you imply, but I highly doubt we'd have a vaccine by now if the 'other side' was in charge.

Funny, ‘cause I look at it as not even the dysfunctional Trump administration was not crazy enough to not implement a “fast track” program just as any other competent administration would do.

Seeing those news reports coming out of Italy, with the dead piling up, before we even felt the real brunt of it, was fairly alarming.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 15th, 2020 at 11:30:05 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Btw I’m not denying trump gets credit for the fast track program, but I am throwing cold water on the idea that it was some sort genius accomplishment to initiate it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 15th, 2020 at 11:49:15 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: rxwine
Btw I’m not denying trump gets credit for the fast track program, but I am throwing cold water on the idea that it was some sort genius accomplishment to initiate it.

If it required a genius it wouldn't have happened. But for all Trump's flaws, he does value the private sector more than the Democrats do. He wants to free them up. The Democrats want to tax them.

Answering Ed's point... I agree, had Trump looked better on COVID-19, he probably would have been re-elected. Not even actually done better.... just 'looked' better.