April 24th, 2020 at 7:59:41 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
I find the whole situation hilarious
I did not listen to Trump but regardless
The headlines out there are pure gold

"Lysol maker: Please don't drink our cleaning products"

"Trump comments prompt doctors, and Lysol, to warn against injecting disinfectants"

"Trump suggests 'injection' of disinfectant to beat coronavirus and 'clean' the lungs
A Homeland Security official, under questioning from reporters, later said federal laboratories are not considering such a treatment option."

"Trump asked if disinfectants could be injected to kill the coronavirus inside the body. Doctors answered: ‘People will die.’ "

Thanks for the laughs Trump. With all the bad news out there, I give Trump kudos for making me laugh this morning

Maybe he takes a swig being a claimed germaphobe.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 24th, 2020 at 8:00:53 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: kenarman
Another cure bites the dust. Remdesivir has failed a clinical trial of 247 people.

"The data (for details, see screenshot below) will be closely scrutinized but are also likely imperfect. The study was terminated prematurely, which could have affected the results. The context that would be provided by a full manuscript is missing, and the data have not been reviewed as normally occurs before publication."

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/23/data-on-gileads-remdesivir-released-by-accident-show-no-benefit-for-coronavirus-patients/

Just as anecdotal results from other countries was not acceptable as a proper study of therapies, studies that are not completed and peer reviewed are also not acceptable.

That is not to say that a true, complete study (one reviewed and approved by Dr. Fauci, since he was widely quoted on what isn't proper testing...and was correct) should be ignored. It is just that there has not been one presented on any of the therapies at this point.

There are also may benefits of some drugs earlier in the infection, but not later. Tamiflu, used for the flu (not this disease) comes to mind. Their Tamiflu even lists such a restriction:

"Take Tamiflu within 48 hours of flu symptom onset."

https://www.tamiflu.com/patient/taking-tamiflu.html

This means that the testing should cover not just patients with positive tests; it should include groups from various stages of the disease in order to see if the drugs are helpful at any point.

(Tamiflu is used as an example of a drug effective early in the progression of flu symptoms; it is not a treatment for this virus)
April 24th, 2020 at 9:24:45 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: AcesAndEights
This whole thing is so fracking annoying. I hate defending Trump but this thing is blowing up so huge and to me, watching the actual clip, it seems pretty clear what he was saying (I agree with you). I just don't want to read about it all day.

Yep, this just goes to show you how dishonest libbies are. BTW, I know you don't like Trump, but libbie behavior like this is exactly why he got elected and why he's gonna get reelected. You can thank libbies for that!!
April 24th, 2020 at 9:51:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: RonC
"The data (for details, see screenshot below) will be closely scrutinized but are also likely imperfect. The study was terminated prematurely, which could have affected the results. The context that would be provided by a full manuscript is missing, and the data have not been reviewed as normally occurs before publication."

I'm not holding out big hope for anything being a miracle drug.

Without studies, we often have patients who were given more than one kind of treatment, some drugs in combination with others at different stages of the disease.

Drugs can have delayed reactions as well. Some drugs require several days to start having an effect in other uses and might be true here as well.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 24th, 2020 at 9:57:27 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Check out The Onion from March 25:

Trumpism has truly made the world a much dumber place. Thanks, righties.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 24th, 2020 at 10:40:05 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote:
President Trump says remarks about heat, light, disinfectant were sarcastic: "I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen."

That thing that Donny said yesterday, that some of you pretended he didn’t say, was actually sarcasm.

How could we have missed his sarcastic tone?! Looking back now, it’s so obvious he was being sarcastic and not just being a complete dumbass! /sarcasm
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 24th, 2020 at 10:45:43 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: RonC
There are also may benefits of some drugs earlier in the infection, but not later.

They need to do these studies on patients early in the infection. Then compare those results to the control group.

The VA study, which did not have a control group, and now this Remdesivir one, involved only severely ill patients.

Dr. Zelenko prescribes HCQ with Azithromycin and Zinc sulphate, early and only to Covid-19 patients with pre-existing health issues. He doesn’t wait for their condition to become severe enough to require hospitalization.

“My approach is to treat patients early in the infection and not wait until they are in the hospital. All studies are done on very sick people and are designed to fail.”

So far, only two of the more than 400 patients with pre-existing health issues he has treated with HCQ have died.

94% of the Covid-19 patients hospitalized in NYC have one or more underlying health issues.

“Among the 2,634 patients for whom outcomes were known, the overall death rate was 21%, but it rose to 88% for those who received mechanical ventilation, the Northwell Health COVID-19 Research Consortium reported.”

Data gathered from 2,634 patients who either died or were discharged from the hospital showed that 12 percent of them were placed on ventilators and of those who were, 88 percent of them died.”
April 24th, 2020 at 11:14:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Tanko
They need to do these studies on patients early in the infection.

Hopefully, they are.

Almost no disease (not any that I can think of anyway) has a better outcome in late stages.
April 24th, 2020 at 12:06:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: ams288
That thing that Donny said yesterday, that some of you pretended he didn’t say, was actually sarcasm.

How could we have missed his sarcastic tone?! Looking back now, it’s so obvious he was being sarcastic and not just being a complete dumbass! /sarcasm

Yeah, I saw that. He just undercut most of those trying to defend him. Instead of insisting he didn't mean inject people, he now says he did, but it was done in sarcasm.
April 24th, 2020 at 1:00:56 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Mohammed prescribed camel urine in the Hadiths as a cure all.

This is Iranian ‘Prophetic Medicine’ leader Mahdi Sabili, taking the ‘fresh and warm’ cure.