Higher Ed 2020s predictions

Page 4 of 4<1234
May 16th, 2020 at 8:47:53 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
Sadly, I think you may be correct.

You and I disagree on the 'value' of the experience of going to college versus just the value of the degree. I am definitely 'who I am today' in part because of the non classroom stuff I experienced back at Columbia in the late 70's. No way I could put a price on my 4 year experience.

Like you, the college experience was very important to me. I think there is very little benefit for most people in a college education these days. I believe any motivated student can Google class syllabuses and self study all of the material. There are so many discussion forums available to ask questions and get answers a professor isn't necessary anymore.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 16th, 2020 at 8:53:56 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DRich
Like you, the college experience was very important to me. I think there is very little benefit for most people in a college education these days. I believe any motivated student can Google class syllabuses and self study all of the material. There are so many discussion forums available to ask questions and get answers a professor isn't necessary anymore.

The beauty of online classes with open discussion boards (and anyone else that has taken one can probably attest to this) : Is often you get a better answer from classmates than from professors. You may have somebody taking an online course who is in their 60s and has 40 years experience in a field. You no longer have to ask 10 different people and judge their answers, you can ask an open question where anyone can respond.

In fact this is the model of many online classes, the professor is more so the moderator (and ultimately the grader of course for papers and presentations)….
May 16th, 2020 at 9:50:36 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Sadly, I think you may be correct.

Why is it sad. My daughter teaches math
in a NY college for an ungodly amount
of money. Every semester her class
of 30 drops to 12 because the kids are
totally unprepared for college math.
They learned nothing in HS because
the education system to totally broken.
A month in it usually drops to under
10 kids. She's paid all that money to
teach 9-10 kids every semester and she
gets the summer off. College
is a giant scam now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 28th, 2020 at 3:51:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Belt-tightening not enough as colleges, universities face struggle to survive: report

The china virus has been said to be "killing the dying." This is a good example. I would not mind seeing some of these schools get put out of their misery. Their time is past.

I still find it interesting that so much of the world sends their kids to the USA for a college education. While this helps the trade deficit, will this soon be a thing of the past? Or will some colleges go even harder for the foreign student and their paying rack rate?
The President is a fink.
October 15th, 2020 at 4:25:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
New Students at U.S. Colleges Decline, Worsening Campus Crisis

Enrollment down 16%! Even with the china virus we are talking institution changing numbers. How many colleges will have to close sooner or later?
The President is a fink.
October 15th, 2020 at 1:40:39 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman

Enrollment down 16%! Even with the china virus we are talking institution changing numbers. How many colleges will have to close sooner or later?
. No surprise. Wife’s daughter has friends who would have been in college this year doing ‘gap year’. If things are close to normal next fall they will be part of likely largest entering class in history. Competitive schools have warned those accepted for this year that they are not guaranteed acceptance next year.
October 15th, 2020 at 2:11:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: AZDuffman

. No surprise. Wife’s daughter has friends who would have been in college this year doing ‘gap year’. If things are close to normal next fall they will be part of likely largest entering class in history. Competitive schools have warned those accepted for this year that they are not guaranteed acceptance next year.

I agree next year will be a test. I am highly in favor of gap years. But I think the net will be lower as many decide not to go back, the point of a gap year in the first place.
The President is a fink.
Page 4 of 4<1234