Higher Ed 2020s predictions

Page 2 of 4<1234>
January 11th, 2020 at 2:02:20 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Some people can justify being on campus as an opportunity for networking and possible future career opportunities. This may not apply depending on what you’re pursuing. To me, in-person contacts, are usually more powerful and lasting than online, generally.

Even someone in a totally unrelated field might provide an opportunity in the future.

You can talk to people on campus and around the City without paying 12k a year to live in a single room without a private bathroom....

You don't need to live on Campus to network.
January 11th, 2020 at 2:08:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
You can talk to people on campus and around the City without paying 12k a year to live in a single room without a private bathroom....

You don't need to live on Campus to network.

True. But, i can only remember the names of the ones on campus years later. : )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 11th, 2020 at 3:45:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Some people can justify being on campus as an opportunity for networking and possible future career opportunities. This may not apply depending on what you’re pursuing. To me, in-person contacts, are usually more powerful and lasting than online, generally.

Even someone in a totally unrelated field might provide an opportunity in the future.

That is the logic behind the ivies. Meet other rich kids. For the most part the education isn’t a ton better which is proved by almost everyone getting an “A” in every class these days. At moderate level schools it does not matter as much. I am friends with just 3 or so from college. Maybe with Facebook people now stay in contact longer. But still an expensive way to network.
The President is a fink.
January 11th, 2020 at 3:57:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
But still an expensive way to network.

When I went 50 years ago,
college was cheap. You
could go to Harvard for
$4000, I remember that.
That was extremely expensive.
College tuition is 1500%
higher than in 1970.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 11th, 2020 at 6:21:14 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
January 12th, 2020 at 6:06:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
When I went 50 years ago,
college was cheap. You
could go to Harvard for
$4000, I remember that.
That was extremely expensive.
College tuition is 1500%
higher than in 1970.

The late 60s to about 1980 seem to have been the golden age to get ROI from a degree. Not enough people going that degree market was not yet flooded. Lots of kids still encouraged to go "work at the mill." The degree still carried weight. Not so today where they put "degree preferred" for even call center sweatshops as so many people have the degree. Well, the current jobs boom has put a temporary end to that. My old employer no longer requires a college degree to manage a branch. In my day that was a very hard program to get in.
The President is a fink.
January 12th, 2020 at 10:25:30 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
The late 60s to about 1980 seem to have been the golden age to get ROI from a degree. Not enough people going that degree market was not yet flooded. .

When I graduated in 67 there was
no push at all to go to college. I
went to avoid the draft and Vietnam.
Then they had the draft lottery and
my number was 335. The war could
go another 10 years and I'd never
get drafted.
In my senior year the only people
talking college were kids who's
parents had money. I worked and
paid myself, it wasn't that expensive.
I lived at home, so it wasn't much fun
either.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 14th, 2020 at 4:22:54 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Many colleges are not cancelling the present semester, but rather are finishing it up remotely. Since the fact that they do not usually give the classes this way but now consider it an acceptable alternative (equal credit compared to on campus) I think this is another death knell to traditional brick and mortar colleges.

This crisis has just made it clear that the 'learning' part if college does not require you to go to a college. I think it is sad. I'm glad me and my kids got to experience a living away from home college as teenagers. I think it helped form who we are, and in a totally positive way.

I wonder if there will be partial refunds?
March 14th, 2020 at 4:39:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: SOOPOO
Many colleges are not cancelling the present semester, but rather are finishing it up remotely. Since the fact that they do not usually give the classes this way but now consider it an acceptable alternative (equal credit compared to on campus) I think this is another death knell to traditional brick and mortar colleges.

This crisis has just made it clear that the 'learning' part if college does not require you to go to a college. I think it is sad. I'm glad me and my kids got to experience a living away from home college as teenagers. I think it helped form who we are, and in a totally positive way.

I wonder if there will be partial refunds?

A college refund money? Doubtful. At most room/board, but doubt that will be close to even.

The living away thing was an experience, but it was also just "coming of age." The army would give the same experience. I seriously thing the need for a 4 year degree has come and gone for most people. Certifications are more and more the thing. A full going away experience will be for the well-off and those going on to medical or other things where you do actually need the full degree.

Time marches on. The ones I feel bad for are the ones with off-campus housing maybe far from home and can't really return. Lots of dollars gone.
The President is a fink.
March 14th, 2020 at 4:59:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
If student loans are going to be forgiven, let's start by forgiving at least the last two years for medical degrees.

SJW loans, meh. imo
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 2 of 4<1234>