Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
Nobody celebrates Kwanza, especially Black
people.
I wonder about that too.
Quote:
Most don't even know what it is.
that, I doubt

It seems to me to be nuts to celebrate both Kwanzaa *and* Christmas, however, if both Af/Am and not affiliated with a religion that celebrates around the time of the winter solstice, it would seem to be an OK thing to me. But since I think this way I do not think Kwanzaa should be after Christmas, but at the same time as Christmas.

I do have a reservation about the idea some whacky professor somewhere can just invent a holiday out of whole cloth. But it is fait accompli it seems, so I don't think about it much anymore.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 26th, 2019 at 3:43:28 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Wizard

As to unity, I have mixed feelings about that. If I were, say, on a basketball team, I would be all in favor of unity, doing my best to help the team, as opposed to being a ball hog and playing for my own glory.

Think how many more baskets would be scored if both teams worked together toward a common goal!
December 26th, 2019 at 3:45:09 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Fleastiff
Your post is immoral, though it is neither illegal nor fattening.

Kwanzaa is an utterly fictitious holiday constructed solely for political purposes.

Just as the Jews seized upon a minor holiday and elevated it for political purposes, blacks want their own 'holiday' to assert a 'black identity' as a counter-measure to white culture.

This goes well beyond The Science Guy's contention that teaching Creationism as a possible alternative is an absurdity that should be prosecuted as we would prosecute child abuse.

Anyone accepting Kwanzaa is perpetuating a scientific and historical fraud. White or black, young or old,utterly absurd lies should be countered at every opportunity, not embraced as historically accurate.

All that may be true, but so what, I say. Someone wants a reason to celebrate, I ain’t gonna tell ‘em no.
December 26th, 2019 at 3:53:38 PM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
According to Google, Kwanzaa is on its way out. Even as a child I remembered Kwanzaa being the third December Holiday behind Christmas and Hanukkah. Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa. I remembered Kwanzaa not being anywhere near as big as Christmas and Hanukkah are. It was and is the Strawberry ice cream in Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry ice cream.
December 26th, 2019 at 4:12:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit

I do have a reservation about the idea some whacky professor somewhere can just invent a holiday out of whole cloth. But it is fait accompli it seems, so I don't think about it much anymore.

Come to think about it, Kwanza is a "harvest celebration" so they say but wasn't Africa largely hunter-gatherer?
The President is a fink.
December 26th, 2019 at 5:05:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Mosca
Think how many more baskets would be scored if both teams worked together toward a common goal!

Touche!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 26th, 2019 at 5:07:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: KNathan
It was and is the Strawberry ice cream in Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry ice cream.

I did not know strawberry came in a far third to chocolate and vanilla. It is what I choose when limited to the three most of the time.
December 26th, 2019 at 5:30:51 PM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
Quote: Wizard
I did not know strawberry came in a far third to chocolate and vanilla. It is what I choose when limited to the three most of the time.

I am talking about in general. Vanilla is first, Chocolate is second, and Strawberry is third. Even Neapolitan ice cream is that way. :)
December 27th, 2019 at 4:43:56 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Welcome to day 2 of Kwanzaa where we celebrate Kujichagulia (Self-Determination). Wikipedia expands on this with, "to define and name ourselves, as well as to create and speak for ourselves."

I'm all in favor of self determination.

Here is some more:

Quote: Dr. Maulana Karenga
Kujichagulia (Self-Determination) ... reaffirms the right of persons and peoples to determine their own destiny and daily lives; to live in peace and security; and to flourish in freedom everywhere.”

Source: KUJICHAGULIA, THE SECOND PRINCIPLE OF KWANZAA.

However, other parts of that article seems to sound like things Malcomn X would say. Likes racial preference in economic decisions. I'm all in favor of peace, security, and freedom, but this is not the reconstruction period of the Civil War any longer.

My interpretation of self-determination is I'll determine my fate and you determine yours, as long as we're not hurting anybody else.
December 27th, 2019 at 5:15:51 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
that link has a bunch of spam in it! site-approved spam it is too
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »