Pain & Death

Page 4 of 6<123456>
December 11th, 2019 at 5:51:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
I think they should bring back the gas chamber and use Nitrogen. Not Nitrous Oxide, Nitrogen.

I've read that if you slowly make the oxygen content to zero or near it, the person, who passes out first, does not get the sensation of asphyxiation. Of course in that situation he would know what was about to happen, that can't be avoided, at least I don't think the process would have a surprise asphyxia.

Or CO2. 100% CO2 kills instantly.
The President is a fink.
December 11th, 2019 at 6:52:15 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: AZDuffman
Or CO2. 100% CO2 kills instantly.
but do you instantly pass out?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 11th, 2019 at 7:27:25 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Gandler, you are confusing two separate issues. The American Society of anesthesiologist is against our participation in capital punishment because of an interpretation of the Hippocratic oath which says do no harm. It is not against capital punishment because of the possibility of pain during the capital punishment. I can assure you, it would be quite easy for me to painlessly end your life using the drugs that are available for capital punishment.
I would guess your reference to botched attempts at capital punishment is likely due to a misplaced intravenous lines. In skilled hands this would happen a few times out of a thousand. Not zero for sure, but not frequently. It happens in surgery occasionally, and once noticed, a new IV is placed. Depending what drugs were given, it may hurt a little. But in the overall scheme of an execution it should not be a reason to cancel the execution.
I believe that a doctor that wants to participate in an execution should be allowed to.
December 11th, 2019 at 8:38:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
but do you instantly pass out?

When I was a PCO there was talk of using CO2 as a fumigant. They had what various concentrations would do to you and such. All I remember is that 100% would be instant death. Maybe you’d get a breath or two. Hard part would be filling the chamber but I suppose you could put someone else n an oxygen mask pump in CO2 then shut off the O2. Would have to be better than how gas chamber works now.
The President is a fink.
December 11th, 2019 at 10:10:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
I can assure you, it would be quite easy for me to painlessly end your life using the drugs that are available for capital punishment.

That probably won't be needed, but
thanks for the offer..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 12th, 2019 at 1:43:44 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Last Night in Texas

"As the lethal dose of the powerful sedative pentobarbital began, he smiled and mouthed words and a kiss toward three female friends and two of his attorneys who watched through a window a few feet from him."
December 12th, 2019 at 11:12:14 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
Seen it twice, can't remember a single
scene.

Didn’t a helicopter fall through a skylight or something? That’s when I tuned out.
December 12th, 2019 at 6:46:35 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
But you said it's ALWAYS painful, which
just isn't true. For a long time in Japan
capital punishment was done by
crucifixion. You probably have
problems with that, too. The whole
point of capital punishment is as
a deterrent. In Japan, they had an
almost zero crime rated because
you got crucified if you so much
as stole a pair of chop sticks.

I don't think you understand the
point of capital punishment. It's
not a way for the convicted to
go out in a warm and fuzzy way.

Of course I would have a problem with crucifiction.... Though a quick Google search says that they currently use hanging which is far more humane. Obviously I am against any method.

I am not sure about Japan, but in America, the death penalty has zero relevance as a deterrent to violent crime and gun violence (scaling states that have it versus not having it), and comparing American states is the best example. (I am sure somebody is going to say "Its not fair to compare State X and State Y") ....
December 12th, 2019 at 7:26:42 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Gandler
Of course I would have a problem with crucifiction.... Though a quick Google search says that they currently use hanging which is far more humane. Obviously I am against any method.

I am not sure about Japan, but in America, the death penalty has zero relevance as a deterrent to violent crime and gun violence (scaling states that have it versus not having it), and comparing American states is the best example. (I am sure somebody is going to say "Its not fair to compare State X and State Y") ....
How can you be so pro war and think blowing the hell out of country's full of people you have never met is a positive, but terminating one miserable sob for murder is bad?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 12th, 2019 at 7:47:38 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: petroglyph
How can you be so pro war and think blowing the hell out of country's full of people you have never met is a positive, but terminating one miserable sob for murder is bad?

Because one is active defense, one is just killing for the sake of retribution (again with no net benifit to society or crime levels).

I do not support Capitol punishment.
Page 4 of 6<123456>