Pain & Death

Page 1 of 61234>Last »
December 9th, 2019 at 7:34:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Do you think pain and death go hand in hand? Most people do I think, but I don't think so.

I think prisoners who just get the death needle or war criminals who drop cyanide probably die without pain. They are shut down, turned off.

Whereas, you can suffer pain over and over. Break bones, heal them, break them again. Only really extreme pain, perhaps during excessive torture might kill you. But that may be due to excessive and repeated stress and sheer exhaustion. Maybe die of induced stroke or heart attack.

As long as you don't suffer fatal injuries, you can suffer pain many times. Organ damage can be painful, but the damage has to be fatal to kill you.

I think people associate pain with death because that's usually the associated condition with death. But I don't necessarily think they have to work together. Pain is associated with injury so closely people automatically relate the two.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 9th, 2019 at 7:50:10 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Do you think pain and death go hand in hand? Most people do I think, but I don't think so.

I think prisoners who just get the death needle or war criminals who drop cyanide probably die without pain. They are shut down, turned off.

Whereas, you can suffer pain over and over. Break bones, heal them, break them again. Only really extreme pain, perhaps during excessive torture might kill you. But that may be due to excessive and repeated stress and sheer exhaustion. Maybe die of induced stroke or heart attack.

As long as you don't suffer fatal injuries, you can suffer pain many times. Organ damage can be painful, but the damage has to be fatal to kill you.

I think people associate pain with death because that's usually the associated condition with death. But I don't necessarily think they have to work together. Pain is associated with injury so closely people automatically relate the two.

Lethal injection is actually incredibly painful, probably one of the most inhumane way to execute people.

Pain is a biological warning sign that something is wrong.

I agree they do not go hand in hand. You can feel alarming pain from relatively harmless injuries. You can also die peacefully with virtually no pain (just not from lethal injections).
December 9th, 2019 at 8:15:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Gandler
Lethal injection is actually incredibly painful, probably one of the most inhumane way to execute people.

I know there is controversy over the drugs used and it varies from state to state. And even what drugs are made available. But on the other hand, are you saying animal euthanasia has to be extremely painful? That would upset quite a few people thinking they put their pet to "sleep" as it's often described.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 9th, 2019 at 8:31:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What a charming holiday thread.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 9th, 2019 at 9:03:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Evenbob
What a charming holiday thread.

Have a holly jolly Christmas.

December 9th, 2019 at 9:11:22 PM permalink
rxwine
BTW, I'm not advocating for early death because I think it's painless. Just eliminate unnecessary physical pain without guilt.
December 10th, 2019 at 3:34:14 AM permalink
rxwine
I finally watched Godfather III.

AL Pacino's face as he collapses on the steps of the theater almost at the end. Talk about pain without death.
December 10th, 2019 at 10:28:48 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I finally watched Godfather III.

Seen it twice, can't remember a single
scene.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 10th, 2019 at 10:57:19 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I know there is controversy over the drugs used and it varies from state to state. And even what drugs are made available. But on the other hand, are you saying animal euthanasia has to be extremely painful? That would upset quite a few people thinking they put their pet to "sleep" as it's often described.

As I understand it it's a lot like anesthesia. You give an anti anxiety for the feel good and calmness, then the anesthetic to go sleepy times. Anesthesia is not "sleep", rather (looking to SOOP for confirmation) it's more a coma. Don't matter what you do, no signals get in. Then you give the death shot, which, if I'm not mistaken, causes cardiac arrest.

Without proper anesthesia, it's just a heart attack. I'm told those kinda hurt, and though I do not suggest it, veterinary blogs confirm it. Just trust me on that one. Those are a tough read.

Dunno how close I came to dying, but can confirm traumatic head injuries are completely painless. The "after" sucks a whole bunch, but the event is a light switch. *Click*, and then nothingness.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 10th, 2019 at 10:58:53 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.verywellhealth.com/pain-scales-assessment-tools-4020329

When those nosy ass medical professionals* come round asking "what level is your pain at", I think most people don't have much of a field of reference to answer that question.

I've heard people loudly enough proclaiming "I'm at an eleven" "I'm at an eleven", they are even doing pain a disservice. Those that would claim 11, have spent very little time at 8.

Out of the pain scales, I find the smiley, frowny face to be about the best for patients. Except for none of the faces are projectile vomiting. And very little writhing.

* : )
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 1 of 61234>Last »