What Are You Reading

Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »
May 10th, 2020 at 8:24:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Need a new author. I tend to find author's and pretty read all their stuff. Just finished up Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Robert Crais, Preston and Child.

Just started reading John Sandford Prey books. Pretty good so far. I see he's written a ton of these Prey books. Anybody else check these out?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 29th, 2020 at 11:59:07 AM permalink
terapined
Lost city of the Monkey God
Nonfiction
Douglas Preston
He writes a lot of fiction that I have read
He also writes some non-fiction
So far pretty interesting
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 29th, 2020 at 12:49:55 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
Need a new author. I tend to find author's and pretty read all their stuff. Just finished up Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Robert Crais, Preston and Child.

Just started reading John Sandford Prey books. Pretty good so far. I see he's written a ton of these Prey books. Anybody else check these out?
The Harlan Coben books were very good. https://www.amazon.com/Books-Harlan-Coben/s?rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3AHarlan+Coben
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 6th, 2021 at 10:52:11 AM permalink
terapined
Michael Connelly
The night fire
It's got all 3 of my favorite Connelly characters
Bosch the old detective, Ballard the young female detective working the hollywood night shift and Mickey Haller, Bosch's half brother and a great lawyer
The best part
My library in Tampa buys all the Michael Connelly books so I read them for free on kindle.
June 23rd, 2021 at 11:52:56 AM permalink
terapined
After a couple of false starts
I finally tried to really read the science fiction book out of China, Netflix is filming, The Three Body Problem
It was very different from science fiction I grew up on as a video game is a major component of the book
I just could not get into it
The beginning was interesting because it included the Cultural Revolution which was horrible for China
Then it veered into a civilization video game with three suns which is the 3 body problem. Predicting the path of 3 suns
I got about 60% through and it still did not grab me
I started skimming to 70% and just gave up
I just did not care about the characters or plot

Now reading Killers of the Flower moon
nonfiction
I heard about this because Martin Scorsese is filming the story
It about the extremely wealthy Osage Indians in OK, murder and the beginnings of the FBI
This book grabbed me right from the start
June 23rd, 2021 at 11:54:48 AM permalink
terapined
dup -post
June 27th, 2021 at 12:15:47 PM permalink
terapined
Killers of the Flower moon
Just finished it. Took me about 2 days. It was a really engrossing read since its non fiction
Wow
It was pretty much open season on Osage Indians due to their wealth
They were seen as less then human so there was little or no remorse from the killers
Even the govt did not consider them human. Many had white guardians that controlled the money and had incentive to kill. It was sick
You married an Osage woman, you no longer had to work
You kill her, your family inherits the rights to the oil money
The FBI only solved a few killings
Majority remain unsolved and haunt the relatives even today
Its a real raw wound I was never aware of
I hope the Martin Scorsese movie does the story justice
Leonardo was hired to play the good guy but now I heard he's playing the bad guy instead, the husband of a blanket. (Osage woman often described as simply a blanket to make them less human)
Robert De Niro will also be in it as a Guardian with incentive to kill and orders Indians killed for their oil money.
August 10th, 2021 at 2:35:38 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: petroglyph

I just tried a Harlan Coben book
Maybe I picked up his worst book
I don't know
The 1st few chapters setting up the story just seemed so absurd I actually gave up. I lost interest due to its absurdity
Myron Bolitor, top point guard college, blows out knee and becomes a sports agent. Book starts 10 years later, NBA team signs him as a player to do detective work to find a missing player. Not really play but find a player. But they sign him as a player and have a press conference. I bailed before the press conference.
I'm a huge sports fan and the premise just seemed dumb.

Reading Winter World by A G Riddle
So far really good
I read his Sci fi Atlantis Gene trilogy and loved it
This is another Sci fi trilogy
August 10th, 2021 at 3:12:39 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Re-reading Arthur C. Clarke's "Cradle."
August 10th, 2021 at 3:19:04 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee
Re-reading Arthur C. Clarke's "Cradle."

How spooky!!! I am working on a project called Cradle.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »