Page 6 of 7« First<34567>
November 20th, 2021 at 6:31:06 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: terapined
I've read 7 of the 10
Did not read Animal Farm, Scarlet and Mockingbird

"SNOPES" does not agree with your list.

If you actually google "what are the most banned books from public libraries and schools in the U.S." you will get a variety of different listings.

disclaimer: I do not trust "SNOPES". I am only providing the link because it seems that the lefties here believe everything they read at "SNOPES" and trust it as factual source.

Let's go Brandon
November 21st, 2021 at 6:17:51 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I've read 7 of the 10
Did not read Animal Farm, Scarlet and Mockingbird

We read eight of ten of those in school. They banned Fahrenheit 451 somewhere? The irony never ceases.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 21st, 2021 at 6:19:49 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: fleaswatter

"SNOPES" does not agree with your list.

If you actually google "what are the most banned books from public libraries and schools in the U.S." you will get a variety of different listings.

disclaimer: I do not trust "SNOPES". I am only providing the link because it seems that the lefties here believe everything they read at "SNOPES" and trust it as factual source.

Good post. When I saw, "Most banned books," I interpreted as, "Banned more than zero times."
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 21st, 2021 at 3:02:20 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
According to the Snopes article, To Kill a Mockingbird is indeed one of the most banned books.

What kind of moronic A-hole is anti-To Kill a Mockingbird?!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 22nd, 2021 at 11:03:47 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: ams288
What kind of moronic A-hole is anti-To Kill a Mockingbird?!

PETA members?
November 22nd, 2021 at 1:16:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee
PETA members?

"To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the most frequently challenged
books in the US due to its themes of rape and use of profanity
and racial slurs."

1960 was a different time in this country. This book was a runaway bestseller it was made into a movie almost immediately. Today you couldn't even get it published by any of the reputable publishing houses.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 12th, 2022 at 8:05:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Bloodless
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
The latest Det Pendergast novel

"Bloodless (Pendergast, #20) by Douglas Preston" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56222206-bloodless
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 14th, 2022 at 4:46:18 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Bloodless
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
The latest Det Pendergast novel

"Bloodless (Pendergast, #20) by Douglas Preston" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56222206-bloodless

That book actually sounds extremely interesting, and I love the setting. But, I have never read that series, and starting a series based on continuity on book 20 seems wrong.

(That is my main issue with series that have too many books and demand that you read them in order, this can work in some mystery/adventure series where every book/story is essentially self-contained even if there are passing references to prior books, like Sherlock Holmes or James Bond, but when there are dozens of books in a linear storyline its too hard to jump in on one that sounds intriguing, and its too much to expect a reader to go and buy the 19 prior books first). I think a trilogy is the most that a single storyline should take (more books in the same universe are fine, but as far as a single storyline). Anyway those are my random thoughts on literary sequels, though this also applies to television (I feel that some series draw out a storyline too long for the sake of making more seasons) and even movies (making what should be a single movie into two or three parts).
March 14th, 2022 at 6:53:47 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I usually have two books going simultaneously: on in the listening room and one in the bed room.

Currently:

Jean Auel, "The Shelters of Stone"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shelters_of_Stone

and

James Patterson, "Private Vegas"

https://www.jamespatterson.com/titles/james-patterson/private-vegas/9781455515936/
March 15th, 2022 at 5:16:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
That book actually sounds extremely interesting, and I love the setting. But, I have never read that series, and starting a series based on continuity on book 20 seems wrong.

(That is my main issue with series that have too many books and demand that you read them in order, this can work in some mystery/adventure series where every book/story is essentially self-contained even if there are passing references to prior books, like Sherlock Holmes or James Bond, but when there are dozens of books in a linear storyline its too hard to jump in on one that sounds intriguing, and its too much to expect a reader to go and buy the 19 prior books first). I think a trilogy is the most that a single storyline should take (more books in the same universe are fine, but as far as a single storyline). Anyway those are my random thoughts on literary sequels, though this also applies to television (I feel that some series draw out a storyline too long for the sake of making more seasons) and even movies (making what should be a single movie into two or three parts).

Go ahead and read it
It can be enjoyed as a stand alone
Of the 20 books in the series, there have been 3 trilogies
Those are of course best enjoyed reading in order but the rest can be enjoyed as stand alone.
It's a really enjoyable series
Of course I recommend starting at book 1 for the most enjoyment
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 6 of 7« First<34567>