If you're doing something that
requires seeing, and physical
effort, your ability to concentrate
doesn't last very long. Your mind
will wander. With reading you're
totally passive, only your mind is
active. You can concentrate for
long periods of time, hours even.

I actually don't disagree, when I am playing I tend to do other tasks such as listen to podcasts or audiobooks. Reading certainly does require more of your attention and focus.

I was only saying that it is a good game, and a game that a lot of people who do not like video games enjoy because it is a very layered strategic game. It's also a great game to play with several friends, great for LAN parties. I actually learned about the Civ series from older people who don't play traditional video games (my Uncle played the earlier ones in the early 90s, and I was always intrigued growing up).
November 10th, 2019 at 8:51:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler
I actually don't disagree, when I am playing I tend to do other tasks such as listen to podcasts or audiobooks.

I can never get into an audiobook,
it's not like reading at all. I miss
way too much of the detail. You
read at your own pace, an AB
makes you pay attention at
the pace of the narrator.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 11th, 2019 at 6:49:56 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I just read the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain". My wife recommended it and it was excellent. Much better than the movie.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 11th, 2019 at 7:16:09 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
Try Civilization 5. Very detailed and comprehensive game.

Turned based strategy game, nothing like most action games that you see advertised.

Civilization 6 on the Nintendo Switch
Its now mobile, makes time at the airport and traveling fly by :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 11th, 2019 at 7:17:27 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Civilization 6 on the Nintendo Switch
Its now mobile, makes time at the airport and traveling fly by :-)

I play on PC, but I could not get into 6, I prefer 5. 6 just seemed too watered down.

If I had a switch and needed a mobile option I am sure that is a great game, I was unaware they made a switch port.
May 2nd, 2020 at 12:13:08 PM permalink
terapined
Losing Jon
A teen's tragic Death, A police cover-up, A community's Fight for Justice
By David Parish
https://www.davidkparrish.com/

An old neighbor childhood friend just let me know about this book just published
I'm only a couple chapters in and I'm hooked
Not only is it a good read, I grew up with the main character, Victor Reimer who grew up to be Officer Reimer
What I know

This was the neighborhood kid nobody really liked. Tall and gawky and a real jerk. Immature dumba** even as a kid and he never lost that trait.
We loved to play tackle football as kids. We loved it so much, we drew numbers on the back of our t-shirts
Victor had a nice yard and once in a while include him, we would play football. His father would come out and order no tackling in the yard, play something else.
We'd move to another yard leaving Vic behind
His father was an a**hole. Neighborhood straight arrow.
My father was one of the good guys in the neighborhood, everybody liked him.
Vic came over my house once to ask my father to play catch with him. Nobody really liked to play with Vic and I guess he got desperate(not surprised he did not ask his ahole father to play catch). I came home and saw them. I just thought it weird. Later I asked my father what's up, he said Vic came over to play with him and my father being the good guy knowing Victor was disliked , played.

I lost touch with him as we all grew up and he certainly didn't hang in my circles becoming a police officer.
His sister Polly was cool and I knew her. Unlike jerk Vic as a kid, Polly was well liked and normal and grew up hanging with cool people I knew.
Polly had to go to traffic court once. She forgot she had a little weed in her purse. She got busted at the entrance search area
Minor charge. Its just weed. I heard Victor the officer now, went ballistic. He needed Psychiatric counselling to handle this.

I would hear stories about Vic from friends. They told me he was pretty much disliked by most officers. Immature brown noser was what I heard.

When I heard about suspicious suicide at the high school I used to attend in the local newspaper decades ago and that Victor was involved. Knowing Victor and how weird he was, I had no doubt he committed murder.
My old neighbor that told me about the book blames Vic's father for everything and told me he still lives in the same house.
Its a good book. Only a few chapters in. Cant wait to finish
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 2nd, 2020 at 1:07:03 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I’ve been meaning to read The Things They Carried for years now, just started it.
May 2nd, 2020 at 2:33:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Finished the Jack Reacher series a
couple weeks ago, starting on the
20 Harry Bosch books. Just ordered
the auto bio of jazz legend Art Pepper.
Am reading an auto bio by Julia
Child of her time in Paris in the 50's.
Also got Bill Bryson's book on Australia
going. I didn't know they get offended
if you bring up the fact they started
off as a prison colony. Bryson says
you can't even joke about it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 2nd, 2020 at 6:10:12 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: terapined
Losing Jon
A teen's tragic Death, A police cover-up, A community's Fight for Justice
By David Parish
https://www.davidkparrish.com/

Just finished the book
Its real life. too real
I was excited, a book 30 years later
I thought something broke recently
Sadly and accurately , it documents the coverup by police and the smearing on the victim
Sigh
May 3rd, 2020 at 8:18:40 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
Finished the Jack Reacher series a
couple weeks ago, starting on the
20 Harry Bosch books. Just ordered
the auto bio of jazz legend Art Pepper.
Am reading an auto bio by Julia
Child of her time in Paris in the 50's.
Also got Bill Bryson's book on Australia
going. I didn't know they get offended
if you bring up the fact they started
off as a prison colony. Bryson says
you can't even joke about it.

I read My Life in France a couple years back, loved it. I think you will too.
Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »