He could never get a straight answer
as to what that meant. He eventually
came to believe it meant nothing,
it was just the Church trying to get him
to shut up about it.

Did they ever figure out that nothing
at all happens to the wafer and wine?
It's all in their heads?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 29th, 2020 at 6:31:12 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob

There's a chance I might win the
lottery but I wouldn't bet on it.

If this statement represents your belief in God then let's shake hands and part ways.

You have said previously, many times and very fervently, that you do not believe there is even a possibility of God existing. I know it sounds silly even when I write it, but I've I asked you if you really believe that and you said you did. I should have known that you didn't really believe what I thought you did but now it looks like I was wrong. Thank you and just for clarification: you do not believe there is a God because you don't accept the evidence, but you do believe there is a chance or possibility there is a God.

Quote:
Here I am god, show
yourself and end the argument.

The answer to this prayer is indeed the only way this argument will end. You have consistently rejected any evidence for God so it is down to a personal encounter. I can only guarantee you that if you truly pray the prayer you wrote above sincerely with an open heart He will reveal Himself to you. Remember God loves you and He came to reveal Himself to you and to redeem you.

Quote:
It's LACK OF EVIDENCE!!!
You have a totally
screwed up view of the world. You think lack
of evidence is enough evidence to base
your entire lifestyle on. That's just nuts

You know you are talking about yourself here don't you? I'm not the one basing his lifestyle on a lack of evidence! I believe there is a plethora of evidence that show me and confirm to me that my faith in God is a reasonable act of trust.

You are the one who thinks that A LACK OF EVIDENCE proves a positive. That is nuts, but that is what you seem to believe. You think there is no evidence for God and you make this lack of evidence proof that He doesn't exist. Do you see what you are doing?!? You like to say you cannot prove a negative, but that is exactly what you are trying to do. You are trying to say there is no evidence, at least no evidence you understand or accept, and based on this and nothing else you reach a conclusion. That is some very flawed thinking my friend.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 29th, 2020 at 7:36:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: FrGamble
The idea can be traced back to 1896 and an awful book, more of an anti-Catholic rant by the president of Cornell University, Andrew D. White.

Thank you for that reference!

Quote: Historian of science Lawrence M. Principe
No serious historians of science or of the science-religion issue today maintain the warfare thesis...The origins of the warfare thesis lie in the late 19th century, specifically in the work of two men - John William Draper and Andrew Dickson White. These men had specific political purposes in mind when arguing their case, and the historical foundations of their work are unreliable.
John William Draper (May 5, 1811 – January 4, 1882) was an English-born American scientist, philosopher, physician, chemist, historian and photographer. He is credited with producing the first clear photograph of a female face (1839–40) and the first detailed photograph of the moon in 1840. He was also the first president of the American Chemical Society (1876–77) and a founder of the New York University School of Medicine. One of Draper's books, the History of the Conflict between Religion and Science, popularised the conflict thesis proposing intrinsic hostility in the relationship between religion and science.
May 29th, 2020 at 9:23:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If this statement represents your belief in God

It does not. It isn't possible for a God to exist within the physical laws of this universe. The supernatural does not exist. If they do, where the heck are they? They are only real inside people's heads. We only started to make real progress and advancement when we gradually shook off the supernatural hold that had us all by the throats for eons. Once we realized the supernatural did not exist we could take matters into our own hands and do what would be considered magic with science.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 30th, 2020 at 4:26:50 AM permalink
FrGamble
It does not. It isn't possible for a God to exist within the physical laws of this universe. The supernatural does not exist. If they do, where the heck are they? They are only real inside people's heads. We only started to make real progress and advancement when we gradually shook off the supernatural hold that had us all by the throats for eons. Once we realized the supernatural did not exist we could take matters into our own hands and do what would be considered magic with science.

Bob, if this was twitter your post would be flagged as not true with a link to multiple places that would show you that historically and philosophically you are completely wrong. What you say is simply not true except in your mind and heart. There is only one who can reach you there to help you see the way, the truth, and the life and it is not me. Peace!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 30th, 2020 at 9:33:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Bob, if this was twitter your post would be flagged as not true with a link to multiple places that would show you that historically and philosophically you are completely wrong. What you say is simply not true except in your mind and heart. There is only one who can reach you there to help you see the way, the truth, and the life and it is not me. Peace!

1. Supernatural cannot be proven to
exist.

2. No god exists, I'm reading Losing
Faith in Faith again. Nothing is more
clear than an atheist who was once
a rabid Xtion and saw the light.

3. Philosophy is an opinion, a state of
mind, nothing can be 'proven' by it.

4. One mans religion is another mans
belly laugh. I see Xtions laughing at
other religions all the time and so do
you.

5. Why haven't you replied to my
eucharist post, you must agree with
it. How can the 'essence' change.
what is essence. A word game.
May 30th, 2020 at 11:04:18 AM permalink
FrGamble
1. Incorrect

2. False

3. Not true

4. Wrong, and you don't know me

5. It does no good to discuss these things with you.
May 30th, 2020 at 11:05:11 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Pacomartin
Thank you for that reference!

You are most welcome!
May 30th, 2020 at 11:15:53 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Correct. It's the total lack of evidence
that proves that.

Nope. Every time I hear their
'evidence', it's something that
could be explained 4 other ways
before a god would enter into
it. God is always last on any list
of explanations. My sister in law