March 16th, 2020 at 6:04:29 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
I think we need to go about this a different way. You keep sayin basically to “listen to all these smart people in favor of UBI.”

I am trying in the clearest terms to tell you THE KING ISN’T WEARING ANY CLOTHES!!

What is probably going to happen, is it will come to pass with all of the pressure.

Trump will take credit, and you will praise Trump like he invented UBI.
And, everyone will love it, because people like getting money.

A one-time payment or short term, maybe to probably. Long term it remains impossible to make work.

See , once you realize Trump is inching towards short term UBI, you are already preempting that a short term UBI will be a good thing.....

It's all about who supports it....

I never said "a good thing." Said it will probably happen. There is a difference. UBI is an awful idea that sheep believe will help them.

I guarantee if it passes, it will be popular. Trump will take credit. And, then Trump supporters will act like he is a genius for signing it.
March 17th, 2020 at 9:56:46 AM permalink
Gandler
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/white-house-considering-giving-americans-checks-combat-economic-impact-outbreak-n1161721

It looks like it will be announced tonight.

I guarantee everyone on here who bashes UBI will not return the check.

And, I guarantee they will praise Trump for it.....
March 17th, 2020 at 12:06:25 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/white-house-considering-giving-americans-checks-combat-economic-impact-outbreak-n1161721

It looks like it will be announced tonight.

I guarantee everyone on here who bashes UBI will not return the check.

And, I guarantee they will praise Trump for it.....

Comparing this EMERGENCY help for the approximately 50% of Americans who live paycheck to paycheck is NOT to be confused with, or even analogized to, the UBI proposal that Yang and others have put forward.

I won't praise Trump for it, nor will I blame him in any way.

I will cash a check if it is sent to me.

Here's a tidbit.... Wife's daughter has a BF, 21, has been working at Panera for last 3 years upon graduating high school. He rents an apartment in a house.... She matter of factly just said since he will be laid off he shouldn't have to pay his rent. I asked her how the landlord is supposed to pay the mortgage, the taxes, and feed HIS family? She just shrugged her shoulders.

All remember.... BEFORE this crisis, the government was spending A TRILLION dollars more than it took in every year.
So...... FAR less income taxes will be collected
Since payroll taxes to be stopped Social Security will be bankrupt that much sooner
The 'send every American acheck' is going to cost $300+ billion?
Capital gains taxes collections? Not as decreased as others but for sure less
Direct payments to airlines, cruise lines, etc.... Betcha they approach or eclipse a TRILLION
Unemployment insurance claims (I believe local?) will crush municipalities

Not talked about yet, but the next shoe to fall may be a real estate collapse. I'll use me as an example. Before this mess I was looking to buy a house in Florida. No way can I afford the house I was looking at. No income from wife, I'm sure whatever dividends I usually get will be slashed. I had built in downturn of 20%, but its been worse.... I think a lot of older Americans buy that second house with stock market gains... or used to. Young couple that was going to buy a house now might be unemployed or underemployed.
March 17th, 2020 at 2:20:37 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: SOOPOO
Comparing this EMERGENCY help for the approximately 50% of Americans who live paycheck to paycheck is NOT to be confused with, or even analogized to, the UBI proposal that Yang and others have put forward.

I won't praise Trump for it, nor will I blame him in any way.

I will cash a check if it is sent to me.

Here's a tidbit.... Wife's daughter has a BF, 21, has been working at Panera for last 3 years upon graduating high school. He rents an apartment in a house.... She matter of factly just said since he will be laid off he shouldn't have to pay his rent. I asked her how the landlord is supposed to pay the mortgage, the taxes, and feed HIS family? She just shrugged her shoulders.

All remember.... BEFORE this crisis, the government was spending A TRILLION dollars more than it took in every year.
So...... FAR less income taxes will be collected
Since payroll taxes to be stopped Social Security will be bankrupt that much sooner
The 'send every American acheck' is going to cost $300+ billion?
Capital gains taxes collections? Not as decreased as others but for sure less
Direct payments to airlines, cruise lines, etc.... Betcha they approach or eclipse a TRILLION
Unemployment insurance claims (I believe local?) will crush municipalities

Not talked about yet, but the next shoe to fall may be a real estate collapse. I'll use me as an example. Before this mess I was looking to buy a house in Florida. No way can I afford the house I was looking at. No income from wife, I'm sure whatever dividends I usually get will be slashed. I had built in downturn of 20%, but its been worse.... I think a lot of older Americans buy that second house with stock market gains... or used to. Young couple that was going to buy a house now might be unemployed or underemployed.

The proposal that I am tracking is a flat rate for each adult citizen, not just those in financial need, so it would be a universal benefit for how ever long it is approved for.

It will be a rough year for the government. It will be a rough year for businesses. But, both the government and businesses will need to be willing to take a hit to ensure that all citizens have their basic needs met.

300 Billion is low, Trump is saying it will cost over 1T for his cash payment proposal.

If your daughter's boyfriend gets laid off he should be able to collect unemployment (since he has worked there so long), which will be an income cut for him, but its better than nothing until he can find something else. Unemployment plus 1K a month is a good safety net.
March 19th, 2020 at 8:00:03 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Oh no.

Tulsi has suspended her campaign for president.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 19th, 2020 at 8:17:30 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
Oh no.

Tulsi has suspended her campaign for president.

Putin is not happy about this
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 19th, 2020 at 8:54:01 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
Putin is not happy about this

I guess Putin won't have a candidate on both sides this time.
March 23rd, 2020 at 4:06:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

$3.464 trillion is federal government Receipts for 2019
$3.953 trillion is $1000/month times x entire population including children x 12 months
$2.000 trillion is coronavirus bailout (roughly $500 month x 12 months x entire population including children)

This bailout is a pretty big number or about half of the UBI proposal
March 23rd, 2020 at 4:23:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188

Not talked about yet, but the next shoe to fall may be a real estate collapse. I'll use me as an example. Before this mess I was looking to buy a house in Florida. No way can I afford the house I was looking at.

Some house prices should also fall if no one can buy.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 21st, 2021 at 2:50:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Page 35 of 38« First<32333435363738>