Tulsi Gabbard

Page 1 of 381234>Last »
August 18th, 2019 at 12:19:00 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Tulsi Gabbard is another candidate that I feel is strong. I like her background as an Army Officer, and the fact that she is still in the National Guard, and pauses her campaign to go to Indonesia with her Unit is commendable (with her rank and status she could easily get out of that if she wanted).

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/while-other-2020-democrats-are-busy-pandering-tulsi-gabbard-is-serving-our-country

She has a good stance on criminal justice reform (legalization of many drugs), and she had some pretty good jabs at Harris last debate for her prosecution record of non-violent criminals. On criminal justice reform and social policies, I feel that she is spot on.

Ironically the area that I disagree with her most on is foreign policy (she is very anti-intervention, though I respect the fact that she has multiple combat tours despite her personal disagreements with them). However, last hour Al Jazeera just put out a hit piece on her saying she is not as "pro-peace" as many think because she wants to stay out of Syria (Al Jazeera does support intervention when it serves their interest, and they want Assad gone so that the "revolution" succeeds.....) Though this is one aspect that I agree with her on, there is no American interest for regime change in Syria, and she was one of the few willing to stand up to the establishment on it despite the propaganda of being a horrible person for supporting Assad and Russia.....
https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/tulsi-gabbard-pro-peace-presidential-candidate-190818092315523.html

Anyway, there is a lot of interesting aspects about her whether you agree with her (as I often don't) or not. Anyone have any thoughts?
This is one candidate that I do not see discussed much on here, and with all of the news about her I felt it was appropriate to make a thread.
August 18th, 2019 at 12:34:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Oh god.

blocked
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 18th, 2019 at 12:40:19 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
Oh god.

blocked

That is a shame I am going to miss your open mind on social issues....
August 18th, 2019 at 12:40:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Gandler
Tulsi Gabbard is another candidate that I feel is strong.

This is one candidate that I do not see discussed much on here, and with all of the news about her I felt it was appropriate to make a thread.

She is a strong candidate, and also very young (born April 12, 1981 | age 38).

David Ige is required by state law to retire and a new governor in 2022. One or both of the two senators Mazie Keiko Hirono ( born November 3, 1947 | age 71 ) or Brian Schatz ( born October 20, 1972 | age 46), will undoubtedly run for governor.

Tulsi succeeded Mazie Hirono in 2012 for Hawaii's 2nd congressional seat. If Tulsi does not run for governor herself, she is likely to be appointed senator in 2022 .

I think Tulsi is going to be an excellent Presidential candidate in 2024 or 2028.
August 18th, 2019 at 12:48:01 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Who???
The President is a fink.
August 18th, 2019 at 1:07:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
Who???

Tulsi Gabbard is a congressional representative from Hawaii's 2nd district since 1 January 2013 (currently serving her 4th term).

The general election always goes to the Democratic candidate since the district was created in 1970. Tulsi won by the following percentages.
(80.5%)
(78.7%)
(81.2%)
(77.4%)

She became the first Samoan American and the first Hindu member of the United States Congress.

She has been involved in Hawaii politics since the age of 21 when she was the youngest woman ever to be elected to a any U.S. state legislature.

While a solid Democrat, she seldom indulges in promoting most of the extreme platforms. Gabbard served in a field medical unit of the Hawaii Army National Guard in a combat zone in Iraq from 2004 to 2005 and was deployed to Kuwait from 2008 to 2009.
August 18th, 2019 at 1:11:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

She became the first Samoan American

I lived in Hawaii and she looks like
no Samoan I ever saw. She looks
white.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 18th, 2019 at 1:13:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

She became the first Samoan American and the first Hindu member of the United States Congress.

Is she related to Afa or Sika?
The President is a fink.
August 18th, 2019 at 1:23:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
Is she related to Afa or Sika?

I don't know who you mean. Are you referring to:

1) Rashida Tlaib is the first Palestinian-American woman to serve in Congress.

2) Ilhan Omar is the first Somali-American member of Congress, and she and Tlaib are the first two Muslim women ever elected to Congress.

3) Ayanna Pressley is the first black congresswoman to represent Massachusetts. Pressley has spoken publicly about her father being incarcerated for much of her childhood and how she is a rape survivor. She has said, "The people closest to the pain should be closest to the power."
August 18th, 2019 at 1:24:22 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I don't know who you mean. Are you referring to:

1) Rashida Tlaib is the first Palestinian-American woman to serve in Congress.

2) Ilhan Omar is the first Somali-American member of Congress, and she and Tlaib are the first two Muslim women ever elected to Congress.

3) Ayanna Pressley is the first black congresswoman to represent Massachusetts. Pressley has spoken publicly about her father being incarcerated for much of her childhood and how she is a rape survivor. She has said, "The people closest to the pain should be closest to the power."

Geez..... You never watch pro wrestling?
Page 1 of 381234>Last »