The Gay Thread

April 22nd, 2021 at 10:16:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
There are adults who would have trouble with that equation, so I don't really expect the latest crop of idiot high schoolers to be able to handle it. I imagine they're too busy learning about how you and I personally enabled the slaveowners 100+ years before either of us were born.

(Not to mention that my Dad's side was not even in the country yet and the first on my Mom's side just got here right before the Civil War started and did not own any slaves.)

I'm aware. I told you of the two tech school girls who could not do the basic division of outs to cards in poker. I knew the USA was math challenged but not that much.
The President is a fink.
April 22nd, 2021 at 12:27:37 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
Classic formula is male age divided by 2 plus 7.

18 yo male thus OK with a 16 year old but no younger.

I have yet to see a better formula.

I’d be in jail!
April 22nd, 2021 at 1:35:02 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I'm aware. I told you of the two tech school girls who could not do the basic division of outs to cards in poker. I knew the USA was math challenged but not that much.

Most also dont right good.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 22nd, 2021 at 2:16:28 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Most also dont right good.

LOL
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 22nd, 2021 at 3:09:41 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
That's what age of consent is, otherwise, how would one minor consent to having sex with another minor?

I guess I'm not sure what problem you think you are fixing, here, but I think it's a good idea to at least have an age where minors cannot legally have sex at all. I don't know that such would actually stop them, but if I'm ever picking up the kids from school and see a pregnant twelve-year-old waddling around again, it'll be too soon.

I think the WV thing makes sense. It's pretty black and white. The minimum age of consent is 15 and then you look at the age difference. Here's another flow list:

1. Are you a legal adult?

-If yes, go to 2.
-If no, go to 3.

2.) Is the person you intend to have sex with a legal adult?

-If yes, have sex.
-If no, go to #4.

3.) Is the person you intend to have sex with a legal adult?

-If yes, go to #4.
-If no, go to #5.

4.) Is the person you intend to have sex with within three years of your age---by birthdate?

-If yes, have sex.
-If no, do not have sex.

5.) Are you both at least 15?

-If yes, have sex.
-If no, don't have sex.

***Anyway, setting a hard cap of eighteen is very cut and dry, but it's not very practical for high schoolers. The reason why is that you'll almost always have one person (if they are a couple) turning eighteen at some point before the other person. I tend to believe that's why some states just make it anywhere from 14-16 flat, but I'm good with the whole difference of age three years thing until both are legal adults.

The comparison to drinking is not an apt one because there's a difference between providing a minor alcohol and saying that two people who may have been a relationship for years (and are both high schoolers) can suddenly no longer have sex because one turned eighteen.

Also, who agrees that the cutoff of 21 for drinking is reasonable? I did not agree to that. I think it should be eighteen or sixteen if one is in the company of one's own parents.

Finally, just make the hard legal age to get married eighteen with no exceptions. That's easy enough.

I think a hard cap for age of consent would be easier to enforce. However, I understand your view and I think that is a valid argument.

For me, the marriage age is a much more pressing issue. I think it should be 18 period, too many people under 18 get married into circumstances that are not wise or not safe. I think the fact that in portions of America you can still get married, not just under 18, but as low as 12 is absurd. And, in most of these states the age of consent does not apply to married couples, so you can see how this can be problematic. And, on top of that you can get married under 18, but cannot file for divorce until 18, so you can see how this can be even more problematic.... And, you can see how this can lead into a cycle of abuse with literally no way out...

https://www.equalitynow.org/5_things_you_should_know_about_child_marriage_the_us
April 22nd, 2021 at 3:37:11 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
I think a hard cap for age of consent would be easier to enforce. However, I understand your view and I think that is a valid argument.

For me, the marriage age is a much more pressing issue. I think it should be 18 period, too many people under 18 get married into circumstances that are not wise or not safe. I think the fact that in portions of America you can still get married, not just under 18, but as low as 12 is absurd. And, in most of these states the age of consent does not apply to married couples, so you can see how this can be problematic. And, on top of that you can get married under 18, but cannot file for divorce until 18, so you can see how this can be even more problematic.... And, you can see how this can lead into a cycle of abuse with literally no way out...

https://www.equalitynow.org/5_things_you_should_know_about_child_marriage_the_us

Nowhere is 12. Get real.
The President is a fink.
April 22nd, 2021 at 3:43:52 PM permalink
Gandler
Nowhere is 12. Get real.

Except it is. I can say offhand MA is 12 for sure for females. And, I believe there are some U.S. territories in the Pacific that are still 12 for females. (Sadly the age for females is almost always lower than the age for males due to an unfair system that works against equality).

That being said this is the extreme, however, even 15 and 16 is appalling.

Did you read the link:
"Federal and State Law Allows For a “Marriage Exception” To Statutory Rape
Statutory rape occurs when one of the parties is below the age of consent. A minor cannot legally give their consent to sexual activity, and so that activity does not have to take place by force in order to be considered rape. Marriage is a valid defense against statutory rape with 12-15 year olds at the federal level, as well as within a majority of U.S. states. These laws vary by state, but all make it legal for an adult to have sex and sexual contact with a child who is below the age of consent in that state if they are married to that child at the time (or, in one state, Indiana, if an adult and a child have ever been married to each other). Several states also have specific exceptions for cases involving pregnancy, enabling a marriage between a pregnant child and her rapist, providing sexual predators with an incentive to force a child to marry them.
"
April 22nd, 2021 at 3:52:08 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
Except it is. I can say offhand MA is 12 for sure for females. And, I believe there are some U.S. territories in the Pacific that are still 12 for females. (Sadly the age for females is almost always lower than the age for males due to an unfair system that works against equality).

That being said this is the extreme, however, even 15 and 16 is appalling.

Did you read the link:
"Federal and State Law Allows For a “Marriage Exception” To Statutory Rape
Statutory rape occurs when one of the parties is below the age of consent. A minor cannot legally give their consent to sexual activity, and so that activity does not have to take place by force in order to be considered rape. Marriage is a valid defense against statutory rape with 12-15 year olds at the federal level, as well as within a majority of U.S. states. These laws vary by state, but all make it legal for an adult to have sex and sexual contact with a child who is below the age of consent in that state if they are married to that child at the time (or, in one state, Indiana, if an adult and a child have ever been married to each other). Several states also have specific exceptions for cases involving pregnancy, enabling a marriage between a pregnant child and her rapist, providing sexual predators with an incentive to force a child to marry them.
"

And how many are getting married at 12? Old law a deep blue state legislature has not amended. Chances are CYS will b called if this is happening.

I have no huge problem with 16.
The President is a fink.
April 23rd, 2021 at 11:34:17 AM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Classic formula is male age divided by 2 plus 7.

18 yo male thus OK with a 16 year old but no younger.

I have yet to see a better formula.

xkcd: Dating Pools

The full analysis is of course much more complicated, but I can't stay to talk about it because I have a date.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
April 23rd, 2021 at 3:25:24 PM permalink
Gandler
And how many are getting married at 12? Old law a deep blue state legislature has not amended. Chances are CYS will b called if this is happening.

I have no huge problem with 16.

That is a good question, and its difficult to pull data on that (many charts I can find start at 18). Really the only way somebody could probably know for sure is do an open records request for marriage certificates in every county to see the birthday and exact date of marriage of parties.

However, wiki estimates that between 2000 and 2015 200,000 marriages involved under 18s, 86% involving an adult and a child, 5% of which a child of 12-15.
So the answer is not many, but even if its a dozen a year that is too many. So yes, it has been happening.

And I think 18 is a necessary age for both parties. I understand the age of consent formula and I think that is reasonable, but you should not be married before 18. The only exception I can possibly see is somebody who is 17 and is active duty military as they may need to be married to protect their rights, but even that is a stretch, because even if you join the day you turn 17, by the time you actually ship off and complete all training you will be just about 18 anyway.... (And I think that should be made to be a hard 18 as well, but that is an discussion for a different time, but as it stands I think that is the one logical exception for 17s).

My main issue is two-fold. I think adults being able to essentially buy children from their parents is disgusting for obvious reasons. And, this used to be a talking point of mine to discuss social repressiveness in certain parts of the world until I learned it is still happening here, and that nullifies that talking point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_the_United_States

For example even the Wikipedia page points out that Afghanistan has tougher child marriage laws now (since the liberation), which is just beyond depressing for obvious reasons.