Real or photoshop?

Page 4 of 5<12345>
March 22nd, 2019 at 11:08:50 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
For a second there, I thought you wanted to know WHY people wouldn't air up their tires.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 22nd, 2019 at 11:25:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
I was using just US numbers (9.4M/b production a day, ~7B/b a yr). But still... more than a full percent of the ENTIRE WORLD's energy consumption? Surely you realize that's a HUGE number.

But that's immaterial. Really, I'm commenting because I've become or am becoming increasingly concerned with partisanship, as I feel it's reached a point where its priority is way higher than it ever should be, and I found AZD's comment to be an example of it, which is why I brought it up for questioning. I have no context for Obama's quote, so it makes it difficult. If O was saying he planned no drilling or planned to cease some drilling because of the reason "we can just save it", then I understand. As AZD pointed out, you can't just save in perpetuity, you have to match growth with growth. But I don't have that context. All I have is a piece of advice that, on its face, is so completely beneficial AND the EXACT type of advice I and AZD specifically prescribe and engage in, that to see him deride it threw me for a loop.

Here is one article on it. It does not have the part on tire pressure, but take my word he was pushing that. Maybe I remember it more being in the industry?

My point was not to say you should not keep proper tire inflation. It is saying that Obama was totally wrong in how he wanted to handle high oil prices and dependence on imported oil. Not just Obama, though. Back to 2001, Cheney got laughed at for saying we need to drill. Drilling got protested, pipelines got protested, refineries got protested. The culture was kind of saying we need not build the oil industry since 1980 or so. If I am touchy it is because my own corner of the industry keeps having false hit-pieces put out on it. People think oil and gas come by magic.

Never ending battle I guess.
The President is a fink.
March 22nd, 2019 at 11:39:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

Quite a bit when I worked in a cabinet shop. I never said electric doesn't have torque. Never.

The cost of hybrids was more expensive and no one needed them for hauling so why pay the extra cost. Now it may be cheaper so people buy them. If you drive a truck and don't use it for hauling enough to justify it, it's just an oddly shaped commuter car. If you need all terrain, you still don't need a truck, just a 4 wheeler jeep type, maybe sprung to ride high.

You would buy one for the same cost/benefit as any other hybrid. On a truck used as a work truck it might make more sense as people keep those forever. FWIW a small truck can make more sense than a small car. Most people are alone in cars most of the time. Why not have a bed you use a few times a year vs. a back seat you rarely use. Some people just like the look of a truck, or the image.

Quote:
You're just an urban cowboy, which is probably quasi-manly.

Nope. I do some actual hauling, getting to do more as I get some rental properties. For image I'd take a convertible.
The President is a fink.
March 22nd, 2019 at 4:44:28 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
A pickup is a tool nothing more nothing less. If I didn't need that tool to make money I wouldn't own one. I don't know why people drive around in them like they are their car.
March 22nd, 2019 at 4:46:10 PM permalink
pew
Oh, by the way I have a set of balls. I don't need to prove it.
March 22nd, 2019 at 5:03:49 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: pew
A pickup is a tool nothing more nothing less. If I didn't need that tool to make money I wouldn't own one. I don't know why people drive around in them like they are their car.

I own a pickup
Love it
I work from home so I don't use it to make money and pretty much just use it on the weekends to get around
Own it because I have an RV to tow
I drive around in it like its my car :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 23rd, 2019 at 4:52:50 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Here's some conceit from me for you that feels a little "not PC" somehow. It certainly could insult somebody here, sorry if that happens. It's just silly conceit.

[conceit]A man buys and drives around in a pickup truck. If you see a guy driving around in an SUV, his wife talked him into it, what he really wanted was a pickup - if he is a real man.[/conceit]

Wow, that felt good! We have to be so PC now it feels wild and dangerous to let something like that out now!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 23rd, 2019 at 5:45:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: pew

Some people just love the look of trucks. It made more sense 20 years ago when there were many models that were not all huge like today. You could buy a small pickup for the price of a small car. I knew a guy did that. Was looking for a small car for going back to school, somehow he ended up in a Dakota stripper for the same money.
The President is a fink.
March 23rd, 2019 at 3:56:47 PM permalink
pew
Quote: AZDuffman
Some people just love the look of trucks. It made more sense 20 years ago when there were many models that were not all huge like today. You could buy a small pickup for the price of a small car. I knew a guy did that. Was looking for a small car for going back to school, somehow he ended up in a Dakota stripper for the same money.
I'm talking a little tough in cheek. I love riding high up in a decent truck, (I've had many not so decent trucks and cars). If I had one vehicle and it wasn't about making a living I would like a nice luxury sedan like a Cady or Lincoln, smooth, quiet, and powerful. Kinda like me except for the quiet part.
March 23rd, 2019 at 5:44:14 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
You can say the same thing about a car, it is simply a tool to get you from A to B. In the town I live in it is about 50/50 pickups and non pickups. Half the non pickups are SUVs so not a lot of cars.

Major employers are logging, ranching and mining all industries that need pickups. Top that off with 5 months of winter driving and you can understand why pickups are very popular here. I actually don't currently own a pickup but my wife has an old SUV with 260km and I drive a van for work with 180km on it. I have usually run all my vehicles into the ground it is by far cheaper to buck up for repairs than to keep buying new. The savings on insurance alone usually cover the extra maintenance the older vehicles incur.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 4 of 5<12345>