Real or photoshop?

Page 2 of 5<12345>
March 21st, 2019 at 11:00:41 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: terapined
Because Obama said it
If Trump says it, AZ is all in

That was my assumption, but assumptions are stupid and antithetical to communication. Instead of assuming, I figured I'd ask. There IS a chance I am the wrong one.

Quote: Evenbob
You wrongly assume what you
corrected applies equally to
everybody else. It doesn't.

Did I? I even stated my results aren't typical. Obviously it would be harder for a Prius with aero sculpting and hard, hi-mileage tires to attain the same percentage increase as I can with my 6,000lbs and giant, chunky treads. But there are myriad ways you can take your car, ANY car, and increase the mpg for free and with little effort. I mess with this stuff all the time for the last 20 yrs. Race cars, atvs, dirt bikes, street bikes, trucks, adding air for mileage, subtracting air for traction, adding weight for grip, shedding weight for handling. You can easily run a passenger car at 25psi without noticing. Put in 35, 2 quarters at the Gas n Go, and there's $500 in your pocket at the end of the year. There's your savings. There's another billion barrels we don't need from foreign entities, and/or another billion we could sell. There's some financial relief (it dropped my yearly transport costs by ~10%).

It's not a panacea, and I'm not providing it as such. And of course, you can't save what you don't have, so it's not anti-oil or crunchy nonsense. It is simply a Good Idea, that is not only eco-friendlier without any real sacrifice, but benefits all people, top to bottom. No taxes, no fines, no penalties, no costs, no pain. It is advice on par with "Close the cereal so it won't go stale", yet I see resistance to it.

Why?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 21st, 2019 at 11:10:29 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
yet I see resistance to it. Why?

Because people do what they
want to do and not what other
people want them to do. All
the problems of the world stem
from people thinking their way is
is only way.

You smoke even though you
know most people don't like
it and don't want you to smoke.
Why is that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 21st, 2019 at 11:51:33 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Because people do what they
want to do and not what other
people want them to do. All
the problems of the world stem
from people thinking their way is
is only way.

You smoke even though you
know most people don't like
it and don't want you to smoke.
Why is that.

I see, and I understand. Most frustrating part of this phase of my life is accepting the "you can lead a horse to water" trope.

I'm just trying to... I see hypocrisy, and I'm trying to hack my way through it. Aren't we (those leaning Right) always banging about personal responsibility? Boot straps? Do for yourself? Self reliance? Individuality? If you saw a kid at the store and he wanted something, and mom suggested ways he could save and find the resources he needed within the stuff he already had, and he just said "NO!" and mocked her for her stupid (sage) advice, wouldn't you come here and regale us with the tale of the entitled millennial and how kids are just total POS nowadays?

That's what this looks like. Granted, I don't have context for the Obama quote, so I suppose he could've said "F#$% you and your oil. We ain't drillin' s#$%, go pump up your tires", in which case I could see the resistance. But as it was presented, it's just a lone piece of 100% solid advice that somehow has been derided as idiotic.

So still I ask, why?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 21st, 2019 at 12:09:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Aren't we (those leaning Right) always banging about personal responsibility? ?

I mostly don't care what others
do, as long as they don't try and
force me to do it, and aren't in
my face about it all the time.
Take responsibility for your life,
don't expect me to take up the
slack. Pretty much life before
the Depression, I could have
easily lived in those times.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 21st, 2019 at 12:36:43 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Math is fun.

I recently did some shadetree maintenance, picked up a few mpg. Let's see what happens when we extrapolate...

Looks like my 2.X mpg increase saves me personally $520 a yr. It's eleven and a half (roughly) barrels of oil that I'm no longer using. Run this across the 3.3T miles of American commuting, and I get (VERY roughly) about a billion and a half barrels saved per year. It equates to (again, very roughly) 140 days of total US production, or just under a quarter of our total yearly consumption. All of that, just by making my truck roll better. Cost me ~$80 and 4hrs in the driveway.

Granted, an '18 Camry isn't going to find the increases that I did in my s#$%pile, but picking up whole mpg's just by inflating tires, emptying trunks, and proper driving habits is as easy as obtaining a dozen eggs. And the returns are MASSIVE.

You're the business and finance guy. Yet you discredit this.

Why?

Thing or three wrong with your analysis when it comes to the bigger picture. First, you did not say what you are driving and what the base MPG is. Dirty little secret is if hybrids were for saving gas they would put them on full size pickups as the 3 MPG they save there would be better than the 10 or so they add on a subcompact. As you point out, savings will not be the same on newer cars already in better tune.

Next, you have to KEEP the car in this better state. That's hard. People simply are not going to do it on a regular basis. The results will be uneven as for example people idle their cars more in winter or summer to keep the heat or A/C going. Back in the 1970s there were commercials form oil companies. One with the tag saveagallonagasaweek. The conservation measures helped, but the effect was limited in scope and time.

Then there is the matter that miles driven increases every year. Population increase alone guarantees this. At the same time, oil wells decline in production over time absent being able to be re-worked. Even then, over time the production decreases.

Compare it this way. A company has 1MM worth of sales last year with 800K in expenses, leaving a profit margin of $200K. The CEO decides they need to trim fat, and find $50K in savings. They just increased profits 25%! All the managers get bonuses. But top-line sales did not grow. Now it is a new year. They have to find more cuts since sales are not expected to grow again. Meanwhile a piece of machinery breaks and needs replaced at a cost of $75K!

How do they keep their profits growing year after year with no sales increase? Answer is simple--THEY CAN'T!

Same with oil. Economy and population keep growing. Conservation will help out in the short term, it did 1974-1985. But sooner or later you have to drill. USA production peaked in 1970. There were massive calls for conservation 1973 on. For a generation we just became more and more dependent on foreign oil. Fracking started being viable late 2000s. With the new drilling we went form increasing dependence to exporting to becoming a net exporter in 9 years!

Those are the results.
The President is a fink.
March 21st, 2019 at 3:35:20 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
.....So still I ask, why?
Lot's of things there to reply to, like Mr. Obama, how about just one less war if you want to save oil? Well, that wouldn't make sense Petro, the reason we invade country's is because they are sitting on top of our oil, and we have to keep killing them because Americans won't check their tire pressure.

Back to the why. The reason is simple, the reason why people won't follow Obama's advice and check their tire pressure to get better mileage can be boiled down to, it's just to much work. They are able to continue a satisfactory lifestyle without having to care whether or not they have proper tire pressure. Bread and circuses brah, bread and circuses.

"The Department of Defense uses 4,600,000,000 US gallons (1.7×1010 L) of fuel annually, an average of 12,600,000 US gallons (48,000,000 L) of fuel per day."

And,,,,, "I see, and I understand. Most frustrating part of this phase of my life is accepting the "you can lead a horse to water" trope" I disagree there as well. Two democrats can do it,,,,one holds the horses head in the water while the other one sucks on his rear. : } old school
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 21st, 2019 at 6:11:05 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Math is fun.

I recently did some shadetree maintenance, picked up a few mpg. Let's see what happens when we extrapolate...

Looks like my 2.X mpg increase saves me personally $520 a yr. It's eleven and a half (roughly) barrels of oil that I'm no longer using. Run this across the 3.3T miles of American commuting, and I get (VERY roughly) about a billion and a half barrels saved per year. It equates to (again, very roughly) 140 days of total US production, or just under a quarter of our total yearly consumption. All of that, just by making my truck roll better. Cost me ~$80 and 4hrs in the driveway.

Granted, an '18 Camry isn't going to find the increases that I did in my s#$%pile, but picking up whole mpg's just by inflating tires, emptying trunks, and proper driving habits is as easy as obtaining a dozen eggs. And the returns are MASSIVE.

You're the business and finance guy. Yet you discredit this.

Why?

Don't quite follow all your numbers Face but vehicles only use 15% of the energy used in the world. Saving 10% of that is 1.5% of world energy.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 21st, 2019 at 8:58:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: kenarman
Don't quite follow all your numbers Face but vehicles only use 15% of the energy used in the world. Saving 10% of that is 1.5% of world energy.

It's Much Ado About Nothing anyway. History
will look back on us to see that for a speck of
time from about 1915 to 2030, relatively short
amount of time, we use fossil fuels to ride
around the planet in automobiles. There will
be a breakthrough soon and gasoline powered
cars will become obsolete.

Why do we still call it fossil fuel, fossils had
nothing to do with it. Crude oil is made under
the ocean floor, every place in the world where
we find oil there was once an ocean there.
March 22nd, 2019 at 3:19:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Why do we still call it fossil fuel
You don't belong to those purported legions of people who think the term means that oil came from the carcasses of dinosaurs and such, I hope? It's just a term that's used, though I suppose you could say it comes from the "fossils" of plants, still an odd way to put it. For sure it's still believed that coal and oil come almost exclusively from plant life, whereas some believe a portion of natural gas may come from internal processes of the Earth.

That is, I haven't paid any attention to this in a long time, except that I have noticed some people evidently heard the joke that oil came from dinosaurs and took it literally.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 22nd, 2019 at 3:21:37 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
just looked this up,

Quote:
The term fossil is derived from the Latin word fossus that literally means “having been dug up.” The German scientist and father of mineralogy Georgius Agricola (1494-1555) coined the term. Today, fossil refers to the remains or traces of an organism that lived in the past.
Fossil Fuels - Southeastern Louisiana University
https://www2.southeastern.edu/orgs/oilspill/fossil.html
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 2 of 5<12345>