Black Mirror

Page 2 of 8<12345>Last »
December 28th, 2018 at 3:13:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64

For me, though, San Junipero was that much better after watching so many dark, disturbing, or otherwise "unhappy" stories.

So you have wade thru all that to
get to the few good episodes?
What an endorsement.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 28th, 2018 at 3:26:18 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Evenbob
So you have wade thru all that to
get to the few good episodes?
What an endorsement.

Try reading what I said, not what you wanted me to say, next time.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 28th, 2018 at 3:35:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
EB is just joking. Do NOT start with that one. It is not representative of what the show is about and would horrify most people.

I found the second episode almost as disturbing as the first one. It was like a really nasty Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I gave up on the series after the 2nd episode. It sounds like it got a little less horrifying.
December 28th, 2018 at 3:43:02 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
I found the second episode almost as disturbing as the first one. It was like a really nasty Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I gave up on the series after the 2nd episode. It sounds like it got a little less horrifying.

I had to look up which one it was. For the benefit of others, its the one where people, or at least digital versions of them, lived in a world full of exercise cycles and watched television to pass the time. At the risk of being a spoiler, I found the ending unsatisfying. I was hoping the main character would develop a friendship with the Asian girl, or escape.

Personally, I like dark depressing shows, which is probably why I like Black Mirror so much.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 28th, 2018 at 4:07:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Personally, I like dark depressing shows,.

And I don't, life is way too short.
It's why I like Lucifer, it's about
the devil but it's clever and funny,
with some faux 'dark' moments.
The Lucifer character is a hoot,
he's sooo into himself.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 28th, 2018 at 4:12:01 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
EB is just joking. Do NOT start with that one. It is not representative of what the show is about and would horrify most people.

Exactly - the first one is like a shock to the system -- from there - it gets more sci-fi

Another classic is the Christmas episode starring Jon Hamm
December 28th, 2018 at 4:12:45 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Dalex64
I really enjoyed the series.

Only a couple of them have what you might consider "happy" endings, though.

It is kinda like the newer "Outer Limits" series - cautionary tales, examples of technology taken to far, or technology taking over too much of society.

Unlike Outer Limits, Black Mirror has a much darker tone.

They are all mostly independent stories, with hints or Easter eggs nodding at a shared universe, so you probably shouldn't base your opinion on one episode.

You might be able to find a website that has some kind of vote-ranked best episodes. I would think San Junipero would be on that list.

For me, though, San Junipero was that much better after watching so many dark, disturbing, or otherwise "unhappy" stories.

Yes - exactly - San Junipero was a palate cleanser, so to speak
December 28th, 2018 at 8:05:16 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: aceofspades
The rumors of a "choose your own adventure" style Black Mirror episode/movie have permeated the internet for a while and now, there is a trailer for it's release tomorrow on Netflix:

Its great
I was quite impressed
I loved how I am explaining to the character that I am in control due to Netflix. I thought that was a hoot.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 28th, 2018 at 8:32:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I'm going through it now. Taking a break. I don't want to spoil it, so I'll post more in spoiler tags later.
December 28th, 2018 at 8:58:39 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
That breaks the fourth wall in a way I've never seen before. I will go through it again, hopefully tomorrow. I'm not sure if there is more than one true ending, or if everywhere gets to the same ending eventually, but in a different order. What if I picked the other cereal?
Page 2 of 8<12345>Last »