Democratic Nominee in 2020

Poll
No votes (0%)
3 votes (14.28%)
2 votes (9.52%)
1 vote (4.76%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.76%)
1 vote (4.76%)
8 votes (38.09%)
2 votes (9.52%)
3 votes (14.28%)

21 members have voted

February 19th, 2020 at 3:34:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 124
Posts: 11598
Quote: Tripdufan
No, they're not.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/08/07/for-most-us-workers-real-wages-have-barely-budged-for-decades/

"After adjusting for inflation, however, todayís average hourly wage has just about the same purchasing power it did in 1978, following a long slide in the 1980s and early 1990s and bumpy, inconsistent growth since then. In fact, in real terms average hourly earnings peaked more than 45 years ago: The $4.03-an-hour rate recorded in January 1973 had the same purchasing power that $23.68 would today."

The same purchasing power? But...they're better off?

You couldn't be more wrong about this.


No, you couldn't. Was it you or someone else who tried to convince me minimum wage in the 1950s was like making $20/hr now? Either way you are similarly making things up now. I do not see your age. Do you even remember pre-1980?

Pre-1980:

Most people did not have central air. If you did you were careful about running it for the cost. Today it is common and people run it all the time.

New houses are twice the size of pre-1980. Back then you still probably had only 2 TVs, one was probably your old BW unit. The big screen you have today would not be imaginable back then.

To take your car to have the oil changed was for rich people only. Today most people do not know how to even do this.

Pre 1980 you ate out maybe twice a month, today at least twice a week.

Today's huge grocery stores just were not there. Less selection by far.

People did not have near as many clothes. Look at a house built back then and see how little closet space was needed.


Trickle-down WORKED! We BOOMED in the 80s and never looked back.

What I do not get is why so many people are happy when taxes are raised on someone else?
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
February 19th, 2020 at 3:36:11 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Member since: Oct 3, 2019
Threads: 0
Posts: 332
Quote: RonC
The question for Democrats is...are their enough "nose holders" on their side to defeat Trump?


We don't need em
February 19th, 2020 at 3:37:07 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Member since: Oct 3, 2019
Threads: 0
Posts: 332
Quote: AZDuffman
No, you couldn't. Was it you or someone else who tried to convince me minimum wage in the 1950s was like making $20/hr now? Either way you are similarly making things up now. I do not see your age. Do you even remember pre-1980?

Pre-1980:

Most people did not have central air. If you did you were careful about running it for the cost. Today it is common and people run it all the time.

New houses are twice the size of pre-1980. Back then you still probably had only 2 TVs, one was probably your old BW unit. The big screen you have today would not be imaginable back then.

To take your car to have the oil changed was for rich people only. Today most people do not know how to even do this.

Pre 1980 you ate out maybe twice a month, today at least twice a week.

Today's huge grocery stores just were not there. Less selection by far.

People did not have near as many clothes. Look at a house built back then and see how little closet space was needed.


Trickle-down WORKED! We BOOMED in the 80s and never looked back.

What I do not get is why so many people are happy when taxes are raised on someone else?


Again, I post data, you post bull chit. I give two craps about how you "feel" about it, which is what you just posted.

SAME PURCHASING POWER

SAME PURCHASING POWER

Backed up by DATA. FACTS.

Who cares about yoru stupid feelings
February 19th, 2020 at 3:38:04 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Member since: Feb 19, 2014
Threads: 10
Posts: 1485
Quote: rxwine
So, you think the majority of elections since the midterms are just a fluke.. More seats turning over to Democrats than Republicans reflect Trump support?


Not sure what to make of it. Certainly in 2018 it was a rebuke of Trump. But his (albeit low) ratings are on a definite upswing. And the proletariat are doing better. Tripdu canít comprehend my simple point. People say they are doing better now than under the Obama administration. Doing better under Trump than Obama. Trip can bring up Ď30 yearsí of the middle class losing. Iíll bet the quality of life of a middle class person now is far better than 30 years ago. Safer car. Smartphone. Uber. Gay rights. Keureg. Facebook. A regular Joe has it much better now than then. You can point to a number.... I can point to the things that make life better, easier.....

I canít wait for Shrek to quote me!
February 19th, 2020 at 3:40:23 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 124
Posts: 11598
Quote: Tripdufan
Again, I post data, you post bull chit. I give two craps about how you "feel" about it, which is what you just posted.

SAME PURCHASING POWER

SAME PURCHASING POWER

Backed up by DATA. FACTS.

Who cares about yoru stupid feelings


So, if purchasing power is so much lower who is buying all this stuff?
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
February 19th, 2020 at 3:41:00 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Member since: Oct 3, 2019
Threads: 0
Posts: 332
Quote: AZDuffman
So, if purchasing power is so much lower who is buying all this stuff?


Who said it was lower?
February 19th, 2020 at 3:44:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 124
Posts: 11598
Quote: Tripdufan
Who said it was lower?


Pretty much you are.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
February 19th, 2020 at 3:47:30 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Member since: Oct 3, 2019
Threads: 0
Posts: 332
Quote: AZDuffman
Pretty much you are.


Trump supporters have the memory of a goldfish, lmao.

I didn't say it. I wrote it in caps actually. SAME PURCHASING POWER. I cited a couple sources with the data that backs up what I'm arguing. You've provided ZERO data, just your same old worn out rhetoric.

The reason you can't provide data that backs up what you are claiming? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EXIST.
February 19th, 2020 at 3:50:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 141
Posts: 9000
I just sent my sister an email, 'cause I was pretty sure my parents house had central air in 1968. House was brand new then.
Vote smart and honest, not Trump the poll butt plug
February 19th, 2020 at 3:52:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 124
Posts: 11598
Quote: Tripdufan
Trump supporters have the memory of a goldfish, lmao.

I didn't say it. I wrote it in caps actually. SAME PURCHASING POWER. I cited a couple sources with the data that backs up what I'm arguing. You've provided ZERO data, just your same old worn out rhetoric.

The reason you can't provide data that backs up what you are claiming? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EXIST.


Sure it exists. Get out of your classroom and look around. It is all over.

Here is another one. Check out how many people have a lawn service these days. UNHEARD OF pre-1980. If you had one you were way rich. Now I see the service in my gentrifying but still lower middle class neighborhood.

One point your "data" misses is the change in households. Lots of single moms these days. Skews data. Data is easy to skew. I will believe my eyes thank you.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it