2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

January 5th, 2020 at 4:01:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/2761/106/#post132685

I don't see a claim. I just said if a janitor wants to make what the CEO does he should try to become a CEO.

That is a statement, not a claim.
The President is a fink.
January 5th, 2020 at 4:39:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Well a janitor can make what a CEO makes if he becomes a CEO, No one was arguing against it anywhere.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 5th, 2020 at 5:16:02 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: petroglyph
There needs to be shit jobs in the economy, precisely so people are incentivised to not make a career out of them. "A job provides a lot more than just a paycheck" petro

I had to speak up because apparently I'm the only one here that worked as a janitor. It was a pretty good gig while I did it, imo. But it was only about 3 days per week, I think it paid a little more than mw, which at the time was 3.20 per hour. I thought that was federal, but maybe not after reading how hard SooPoo had it?
But because I didn't make enough money [while going to high school] at my janitors job [at the C college across the road] I also got a job cooking for Col. Sanders.

That job was pretty brutal. At the time KFC had cut a deal with the feds to let beginning chicken cooks work for 1/2 of minimum wage until they were proficient at cooking chicken using deep fryers, [which are pressure bombs] and 400 * oil. That job was hard hard, and I only stayed a few of the winter months, due to low wages and short hours. This was while I was in high school, having two jobs at the same time. But that was after working construction in the summers after working crops in my earlier years.

And I don't begrudge one of my low wage paying employers. I was really glad to get the work, and the money. And it taught me my hard work ethic which served me very well the rest of my life. Some lousy jobs in the economy need to be out there, as I said, to teach people to get better jobs. The job "cooking for the Colenol" paid half mw, so I was paid 1.60 per hour. People need to learn also, to quit jobs that suck, learn some confidence. That is probably the job that "gave me attitude", from the day I quit that job on. I was never afraid to quit another job, and I've probably quit more jobs than the board put together.

America also needs to reduce the labor laws in our country so more young people can work. I felt sorry for the kids younger by a few years as I grew up because the labor laws behind me were restricting their ability to make their own money. I think so many of our youth having so much money without any of them earning it is part of what is causing problems with the work force. Our young shouldn't grow up believing that work is 'beneath' them. It's not for everyone, but I worked in the fields harvesting crops "with the Mexicans' before the age of ten, and I was glad to get the work. Everyone I knew growing up, worked. There was no shame in working for those shit wages, they were considered "kids" jobs, not careers. And this opinion is coming from probably the most "pro-labor" member of this board.

"how hard SooPoo had it". I actually do not now nor back then ever feel I had it "hard'! It was just the way it was. I was a kid who wanted to make some spending money and was grateful to have a job (I was a messenger) to give me some. In college I worked at a fast food joint to make a few extra bucks. I was at an Ivy League school but it never seemed 'beneath' me.
The points on both sides have been made and are clear. Time for a summary.

There are those that believe that if you are a business, your business model must account for paying everyone at least enough to support a family on a 40 hour work week. Then there are those that do not believe that (me). I think it the clear difference between a conservative (me) that thinks the market should determine how much an employee earns and a progressive who feels the government is needed to tell the business at least what the minimum should be, after having done some calculation to determine what a 'living wage' is.
January 5th, 2020 at 5:21:46 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO

There are those that believe that if you are a business, your business model must account for paying everyone at least enough to support a family on a 40 hour work week. Then there are those that do not believe that (me). I think it the clear difference between a conservative (me) that thinks the market should determine how much an employee earns and a progressive who feels the government is needed to tell the business at least what the minimum should be, after having done some calculation to determine what a 'living wage' is.

Ahem.

I believe that the business model does not have to pay everyone at least enough to support a family on a 40 hour work week and AM MOST DEFINITELY NOT A CONSERVATIVE!!!!!!!

Thank you.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 5th, 2020 at 5:30:26 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Mission146
Ahem.

I believe that the business model does not have to pay everyone at least enough to support a family on a 40 hour work week and AM MOST DEFINITELY NOT A CONSERVATIVE!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Your welcome. Of course not every conservative believes the same as every other conservative. Ditto for progressives. It's not too far back in this thread, but Rx has said that he believes EVERY 40 hour job should provide a living wage for a family. (If its not Rx and is someone else, sorry!). I believe this concept is a one held by Sanders, Warren, Steyer, etc....
January 5th, 2020 at 6:02:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Your welcome. Of course not every conservative believes the same as every other conservative. Ditto for progressives. It's not too far back in this thread, but Rx has said that he believes EVERY 40 hour job should provide a living wage for a family. (If its not Rx and is someone else, sorry!). I believe this concept is a one held by Sanders, Warren, Steyer, etc....

I said single, because it is doesn't require me thinking out strategy for multiples of family members. Most likely we'd end up with things we already do.

I'm curious what the US will do if we ever have to consider implementation of decisions like China's one child policy. Probably not something I will have to worry about as Trump is going to make sure many drown due to ignoring climate change.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 5th, 2020 at 7:19:50 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
["how hard SooPoo had it".
Apology's, I didn't convey what I was thinking very well. What I was trying to bring out was you had mentioned earlier that you worked for mw and it was around 2.50 ? My long post there, when that was going on was 71/72 and that mw iirc was 3.20. What was going on in my head when I was typing is, I wasn't sure if the mw that you worked for, which was less than the mw that I worked for was federal or state? It was no way intended in a demeaning manner. I admire you, indubitably.

It was only about the mw, sometimes [like now] I outsmart myself trying to kid.

Stopping now before I wreck it further.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 5th, 2020 at 7:33:25 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: Mission146
I don't think you're talking about me, but just to be clear, I do not believe that or anything even within a mile of that.

Oh no, not at all. I was referring to the dude who wants to pay janitors like CEOs lol.
January 6th, 2020 at 3:50:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Well a janitor can make what a CEO makes if he becomes a CEO, No one was arguing against it anywhere.

Who said someone was arguing against it? The difference in opinion is I say if the janitor wants to make more he can gain skills and find a job making more. You think the government should dictate that he make more.

Making more money will happen in life if you follow a few simple guidelines:

1. Finish high school
2. No kids before or outside of marriage
3. No marriage until age 25
4. Do not waste money on lottery tickets
5. Do not engage in recreational drug use

Do those 5 and you will end up moving up. But lots of people break them, and well that is why we have people who are in these jobs for life.

Put a different way, to paraphrase Jack Nicholson in the beginning of "The Departed" when he gives his speech about how in a generation the Irish went from not being able to get a job to being in the White House, you can't stand around waiting, you have to go and take it.

I'm curious what the US will do if we ever have to consider implementation of decisions like China's one child policy. Probably not something I will have to worry about as Trump is going to make sure many drown due to ignoring climate change.

Why on earth would the USA need such a policy? See the thread about the fertility rate. Why would climate change cause people to drown? Would natural warming mean more people would buy swimming pools or something? It is way warmer than the Ice Age yet people drowning in pools while it happens is not a major problem.
The President is a fink.
January 6th, 2020 at 4:03:03 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
but Rx has said that he believes EVERY 40 hour job should provide a living wage for a family.

That whole idea is totally insane. The only people who believe that are libbies who have never run or managed a business before. It's totally ridiculous to believe that a person should make a comfortable living sweeping floors or washing dishes or flipping burgers for 40 hours a week. That's insanity man!