8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

January 4th, 2020 at 7:26:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Having janitors being as important as executives?

You want janitors paid like they're
important hard to replace employees.
They aren't. You get paid according
to your value to the company, You
have obviously never owned a
business. Everything is based on
value, even the people who work
for you.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 4th, 2020 at 8:01:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
You want janitors paid like they're
important hard to replace employees.
They aren't. You get paid according
to your value to the company, You
have obviously never owned a
business. Everything is based on
value, even the people who work
for you.

Minimum wage law already disproves your statement that employers always pay according to value. Maybe you should have actually read and understood my earlier post and you wouldn't look ignorant trying to tell me what I should understand.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 4th, 2020 at 11:27:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Minimum wage law already disproves your statement that employers always pay according to value. .

No it doesn't. Employers look at the
value of the employee to the business
and pay them accordingly. Some get
the lowest pay allowed by law, the
minimum wage. Janitors are always
the lowest rung on the employment
ladder. They may get higher than
MW, but far less then the people
in the offices make.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 5th, 2020 at 5:04:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
C'mon Soopoo, they find money to pay a CEO hundred times or more average wage, but can't make sure their janitor has a living wage for a 40 hr week?

I am not sure what you are implying by your last couple sentences. That I want doctors to make only minimum wage? Wrong.

What exactly does the pay of a janitor have to do with the pay of the CEO.

Among other things one is a corporate officer the other is simple labor.
The President is a fink.
January 5th, 2020 at 5:44:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Evenbob
No it doesn't. Employers look at the
value of the employee to the business
and pay them accordingly. Some get
the lowest pay allowed by law, the
minimum wage. Janitors are always
the lowest rung on the employment
ladder. They may get higher than
MW, but far less then the people
in the offices make.

Nope. If employers could always pay the value of the employee they might opt to pay less than minimum wage.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 5th, 2020 at 5:44:44 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
C'mon Soopoo, they find money to pay a CEO hundred times or more average wage, but can't make sure their janitor has a living wage for a 40 hr week?

I am not sure what you are implying by your last couple sentences. That I want doctors to make only minimum wage? Wrong.

I understand that you WANT the CEO to make less, and that you WANT the janitor to make more! Someone (at least theoretically!) determines how much value the CEO brings to the company, and compensates him or her accordingly. Usually, a large portion of the 'salary' of the CEO is not salary, but stock option type stuff, which means the CEO succeeds IF the company succeeds.
The janitor agrees to work a set number of hours for a set amount of pay. If the company does not offer enough pay then the janitor does not have to work there! The company decides what the value of having a janitor is, but you want the government to take over that role from the company! Actually, it's the same thing for the CEO pay.

My 'last few sentences' were bemoaning the fact that I worked more than 40 hours a week my entire career.... yet you think someone making MW should not have to if they want more money..... just have the government legislate them more money....
January 5th, 2020 at 6:00:27 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
What exactly does the pay of a janitor have to do with the pay of the CEO.

Among other things one is a corporate officer the other is simple labor.

What does the pay of the lowest paid workers have to do with CEOs? Because one of the excuses of not paying a living wage is not enough money to go around. Yet they seem to find money to raise the pay of CEOs to record highs in some cases.

And actually, even if they can't reach the goal of a full living wage, there seems to be a lot of lack of effort to even get partially there by some. I'd still be fighting for a higher floor for these people even if it can't reach the full goal.
January 5th, 2020 at 6:04:26 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
If the company does not offer enough pay?
The problem is if all companies only offer minimum wage for janitors, and it is not enough pay for any janitor.

Paying for a higher minimum wage in part by reducing the ceo's pay isn't wishing a lower pay on the CEO, it is merely stating a possible source of funds. Anyway, if the CEO doesn't like the pay, they can always get a job somewhere else. If no one offers more because they all took CEO money away to pay for a higher minimum wage? Hmm.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 5th, 2020 at 6:06:24 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: SOOPOO
If the company does not offer enough pay then the janitor does not have to work there!

Why not third world wages then? Just enough, to not starve?

You're obviously making a decision to not impoverish the janitor to slave wages already. But you want to make sure he doesn't have it too good obviously.
January 5th, 2020 at 6:07:11 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Dalex64
If the company does not offer enough pay?
The problem is if all companies only offer minimum wage for janitors, and it is not enough pay for any janitor.

Paying for a higher minimum wage in part by reducing the ceo's pay isn't wishing a lower pay on the CEO, it is merely stating a possible source of funds. Anyway, if the CEO doesn't like the pay, they can always get a job somewhere else. If no one offers more because they all took CEO money away to pay for a higher minimum wage? Hmm.

Exactly.