Help me cut the cord

Page 5 of 7« First<234567>
November 26th, 2018 at 2:52:26 PM permalink
GwoAE
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman
Get a Firestick and find some of the downloads and get it all free. You have to put up with the occasional shut down of the app you are using, but another always pops up. I am listening to CNBC on one right now.

It is not perfect, but unless you just must watch everything the day it airs and cannot put up with occasional hiccups that make you reload it is great! "Better Call Saul" was usually available 24-36 hours after air date for example.

The main reason we have stuck with cable so long now is because of dvr. If I went the fire stick route then I have to remember which shows to go looking for. With DVR I just open it up and my favorites are there ready to be watched.

Setting up my favorites with hulu and it looked like a very viable option, except half of the shows that I watch on CBS are not on hulu unless you pay $40 for hulu live.
November 26th, 2018 at 3:14:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: GwoAE
The main reason we have stuck with cable so long now is because of dvr. If I went the fire stick route then I have to remember which shows to go looking for. With DVR I just open it up and my favorites are there ready to be watched.

Setting up my favorites with hulu and it looked like a very viable option, except half of the shows that I watch on CBS are not on hulu unless you pay $40 for hulu live.

I hear you there, but for $900/yr I adjusted :-)

Might be an app to help keep your favorites but I am getting to be an OM and haven't looked.
The President is a fink.
November 26th, 2018 at 3:15:47 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Have you looked at "CBS all-access"?

It is the way things are fragmenting now. There are many of these $5 to $20/month "channels" with exclusive streaming rights now. Sign up for them all and you will exceed a cable bill and end up with less content due to all the garbage that gets packaged pretty much for free on cable. Some of that garbage might interest you.

Personally, I was at my parents for Thanksgiving, and noticed they had hundreds of channels and there was nothing on that interested me.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 26th, 2018 at 3:17:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Dalex64

Personally, I was at my parents for Thanksgiving, and noticed they had hundreds of channels and there was nothing on that interested me.

I did the same. Ended up putting on the CNBC marathon of "The Profit" then "Shark Tank." After the Dog Show, though.
The President is a fink.
November 26th, 2018 at 7:23:51 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
I did the same. Ended up putting on the CNBC marathon of "The Profit" then "Shark Tank." After the Dog Show, though.

The first season of the profit was good, Then they changed it from a business show to a personal interest show. I refuse to watch t now.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 26th, 2018 at 8:40:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
What's your opinion on it? Worth it, good option to ditch cable?

In the list below , the first 25 channels are with Blue or Orange option.

Blue or Orange alone is $25, together they are $40. Orange alone is one device streaming at a time, Blue is three devices. I think combined they are three, but check the rules. Obviously if you are a Fox News junkie this is a bad option. There is a decent collection of sports channels, but not a lot of movies. The presumption is that you need Netflix. My neighbor says the channel he miss most is CBS which costs $7. They don't miss ABC because there are only minimal sports on ABC.

1. TNT ------ AT&T
  2. TBS ------ AT&T
  3. CNN ------ AT&T
  4. Cartoon Network ------ AT&T
  5. AMC ------ AMC Networks Inc.
  6. IFC ------ AMC Networks Inc.
  7. BBC America ------ AMC Networks Inc. (50%)
  8. A&E ------ A+E Networks
  9. Lifetime ------ A+E Networks
  10. History ------ A+E Networks
  11. Travel Channel ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  12. Food Network ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  13. HGTV ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  14. Comedy Central ------ News Corp: Viacom
  15. Galavisión ------ Univision
  16. Flama ------ Univision
  17. EPIX Drive-In ------ Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
  18. Tribeca Shortlist ------ De Niro, Rosenthal, and Craig Hatkoff
  19. Local Now ------ Byron Allen : Entertainment Studios
  20. AXS TV ------ Mark Cuban
  21. Cheddar ------ financial news network
  22. Cheddar Big News ------ financial news network
  23. Newsy ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  24. Viceland ------ VICE Media
  25. Bloomberg ------ financial news network
    Orange
  26. Disney Channel ------ The Walt Disney Company
  27. Freeform ------ The Walt Disney Company
  28. ESPN ------ The Walt Disney Company
  29. ESPN2 ------ The Walt Disney Company
  30. ESPN3 ------ The Walt Disney Company
  31. ACC Atlantic Coast Conference ------ The Walt Disney Company
    Blue
  32. FX ------ News Corp
  33. FXX ------ News Corp
  34. National Geographic Channel ------ News Corp
  35. Nat Geo Wild ------ News Corp
  36. Bravo ------ COMCAST
  37. Syfy ------ COMCAST
  38. USA Network. ------ COMCAST
  39. Nick Jr. ------ Viacom
  40. BET ------ Viacom
  41. truTV ------ AT&T
  42. Univision ------ Univision
  43. UniMas ------ Univision
  44. NFL Network ------ National Football League
  45. NBC Sports Network ------ COMCAST
  46. Fox Sports 1 ------ News Corp
  47. Fox Sports 2 ------ News Corp
  48. FOX On Demand ------ News Corp
    not in every city
  49. Comcast SportsNet ------ select cities
  50. Fox Sports Networks ------ select cities
  51. Fox (local station) ------ select cities
  52. NBC† ------ select cities

No CBS, ABC, CW, ION so it helps if you combine with antenna service.

My cable company says that if I drop TV and return their TV boxes and DVRs and keep internet and phone they will only reduce the bill by $55. Sling costs $40, Sling DVR costs $5, and CBS costs $7. So I would only save $3. It isn't worth it.

Cable companies may improve their profit picture by just delivering phone and internet if they can charge enough. There are no decent alternatives as cellular is too expensive, 5G won't be around for years, and ADSL via the phone line is not available to me.

If I go to cable company and order just TV and nothing else with the DVR and set top boxes for three TVs, they would charge $110. But if I drop TV from the triple play, they will only take price down by $55. I would say they have us by the short and curlies.

Sling TV was founded in January 2015, and was the first service that combined multiple channels of live TV from different companies into a streaming service. No one knew about the economics, but Disney reserved the right to pull out if they thought it was hurting their revenue stream. The Blue and Orange options were just in case Disney pulled out, then Sling could cancel the Orange option. Now of course, Disney had purchased most of the assets of 21st century Fox and will start their own streaming service next year.

you can GET A FREE ROKU® EXPRESS when you subscribe and prepay 2 months of Sling TV. If you choose a $25 service that's a $50 commitment, a ROKU® EXPRESS costs $30 in a store. So you are extending minimal amount of money to experiment. You can probably get a free week on top of that.
November 27th, 2018 at 2:09:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DRich
The first season of the profit was good, Then they changed it from a business show to a personal interest show. I refuse to watch t now.

It was good but kind of faked as a guy like that is not going to drop that much cash without even basic due diligence. I ate at The Simple Greek and it is a pretty good job he did, place always has a line.
The President is a fink.
November 27th, 2018 at 8:16:09 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Cox charges me 190.99 a month now. 140 channels plus internet and DVR. : (

Hulu has a black Friday deal. .99 a month.

The Hulu special is only Video on Demand, no Live TV (still $40 a month). In addition to NBC, ABC and Fox programs and movies, Hulu carries shows from networks such as A&E, Big Ten Network, Bravo, FX, PBS, NFL Network, Oxygen, RT America, Fox Sports 1/2, Esquire Network, SundanceTV, Syfy, USA Network, NBCSN, and online comedy sources such as Onion News Network.

Even though they are two different products, the difference in price is shocking.
November 30th, 2018 at 12:54:42 PM permalink
GwoAE
Quote: Pacomartin
The Hulu special is only Video on Demand, no Live TV (still $40 a month). In addition to NBC, ABC and Fox programs and movies, Hulu carries shows from networks such as A&E, Big Ten Network, Bravo, FX, PBS, NFL Network, Oxygen, RT America, Fox Sports 1/2, Esquire Network, SundanceTV, Syfy, USA Network, NBCSN, and online comedy sources such as Onion News Network.

Even though they are two different products, the difference in price is shocking.

Hulu for .99 would have worked perfect if it wasnt for cbs and NBC. A lot of shows that I watch or try to watch you have to have hulu live.

Well at any rate, comcast is on their way to install cable. I am getting 100/100 for $51 a month with taxes. My fios bill was going up to 154. That gives me a little room to try some different things.
November 30th, 2018 at 1:50:35 PM permalink
GwoAE
Well comcast just came and they need flaggers to install because I live on a main road. They are coming tomorrow with a bucket truck and flaggers.
Page 5 of 7« First<234567>