2 votes (40%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (20%)

5 members have voted

September 7th, 2018 at 9:27:59 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
My father liked rechargeable batteries and this was in the late 60's and 70's. As I recall, the batteries were D size. That the professor recharged them with an exercise bike was one of the few inventions he did that seemed scientifically plausible to me, assuming he also had magnets and copper wire, if my knowledge of electromagnetism doesn't fail me.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 7th, 2018 at 9:36:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
My father liked rechargeable batteries and this was in the late 60's and 70's. As I recall, the batteries were D size. That the professor recharged them with an exercise bike was one of the few inventions he did that seemed scientifically plausible to me, assuming he also had magnets and copper wire, if my knowledge of electromagnetism doesn't fail me.

He could just have used the generator from the boat. Or the starter.
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2018 at 9:46:52 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
added; the bike could have been flotsam and Jetsom
Nothing can be flotsam and jetsom,, its one or the other. Using bicycles as battery chargers is common in Africa and in military settings. Even the old Gibson Girl radios in life boats never required all that much exercise.
September 7th, 2018 at 10:22:26 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
How many people visited the castaways for a time? I remember a surfer guy, a whacked out pilot, Don Rickles for some reason. Didn't they all manage to get back to civilization?
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 7th, 2018 at 10:26:21 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
??
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/flotsam-jetsam.html

Treasure washed up on the beach. There was an entire motorcycle washed up on Montague Island at the south end of Prince William Sound Ak, from Fukashima.

Complete boats land on beaches fairly regular without anyone aboard. Millions of glass ball fishing floats that many were made aboard fishing boats from coke bottles, mostly synthetic now.

Beachcoming can be a blast on those remote beaches.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 7th, 2018 at 10:30:02 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Fleastiff
Nothing can be flotsam and jetsom,, its one or the other.
It mostly looks the same, side by each, on the beach.
September 7th, 2018 at 11:05:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Yes, though I understand the trick is to get to it just prior to its winding up on the beach. Recall perhaps that 45 foot yacht in great condition that slipped its mooring in an upscale marina in St. Martin and drifted unmanned and unlighted all the way to a Central American beach. It would have been a great salvage operation on the high seas or even in territorial waters but once it actually hit the beach it was of little value. Most of the damage seems to have been done by men wearing boots and that eliminated fishermen and peasants leaving only the police and military as the culprits. Insurance company finally just wrote it off as a total loss.

Anyone who intercepted it on the high seas would have had a free yacht but once it hit the beach it was worthless.
September 7th, 2018 at 11:43:51 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
NiCd batteries were invented in 1899.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 7th, 2018 at 12:06:40 PM permalink
petroglyph
Yes, though I understand the trick is to get to it just prior to its winding up on the beach. Recall perhaps that 45 foot yacht in great condition that slipped its mooring in an upscale marina in St. Martin and drifted unmanned and unlighted all the way to a Central American beach. It would have been a great salvage operation on the high seas or even in territorial waters but once it actually hit the beach it was of little value. Most of the damage seems to have been done by men wearing boots and that eliminated fishermen and peasants leaving only the police and military as the culprits. Insurance company finally just wrote it off as a total loss.

Anyone who intercepted it on the high seas would have had a free yacht but once it hit the beach it was worthless.
I hadn't thought about the flotation of "safes". https://gizmodo.com/5791007/a-whole-bunch-of-unclaimed-money-is-washing-up-on-the-shores-of-japan
September 7th, 2018 at 12:18:11 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Well, Fukishima was a long time ago so its all over by now, but it never occurred to me that a safe would float. I assumed anything so sturdy to resist being taken away and resist being broken into would be so heavy as to sink rather promptly.
Page 3 of 5<12345>