No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

July 17th, 2018 at 6:08:14 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
I've done Langley too. That is on part with Whitney but much less crowded. The only downside is it doesn't get the glory Whitney does. The trailhead for Langley leads to a whole network of trails but I don't know much about the other ones.

Regarding Whitney, I've been up twice in the last ten years and never been asked for a permit. Of course, not saying what will happen if you do it without a permit.

I’ve debated the permit thing in my head. No one checked permits when I hiked Half Dome in 2016 either. Makes me wonder how often people get caught. In the end the significant fine puts me off enough to play by the rules. There’s plenty of alternatives in the area if we are unable to get another permit so won’t be a total loss.

Good to hear the positives of Langley. Glory doesn’t interest me beyond it being kind of cool to be able to say I’ve done Whitney. Then again no one over knows WTF Mt Whitney is anyway! :S

Any others you would recommend within say an hour or two drive of Lone Pine? Nothing that requires much technical skill though.
July 17th, 2018 at 9:58:57 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Aussie
IThen again no one over knows WTF Mt Whitney is anyway! :S

Sadly, you're right. When I did Mount Elbert in CO, I heard people say it was the highest peak in the lower 48, which it's not.

Quote:
Any others you would recommend within say an hour or two drive of Lone Pine? Nothing that requires much technical skill though.

It would be a little over two hours, but I think you could find a camping spot in upper Yosemite and do stuff there. I don't remember the name, but the high point of Yosemite is a thing. Depending on what you choose to do, it probably won't be as challenging as Langley or Whitney, but it is gorgeous in upper Yosemite and you avoid the crowds down in the valley. I can't promise you'll find a camping spot, do a little homework before putting that down as a plan C.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 17th, 2018 at 10:07:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
This is pretty good. I went back to episode 1 and started there. It's better than some million dollar reality shows I tried to watch.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 17th, 2018 at 10:42:36 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Sadly, you're right. When I did Mount Elbert in CO, I heard people say it was the highest peak in the lower 48, which it's not.

It would be a little over two hours, but I think you could find a camping spot in upper Yosemite and do stuff there. I don't remember the name, but the high point of Yosemite is a thing. Depending on what you choose to do, it probably won't be as challenging as Langley or Whitney, but it is gorgeous in upper Yosemite and you avoid the crowds down in the valley. I can't promise you'll find a camping spot, do a little homework before putting that down as a plan C.

We are going to Yosemite 2 days later (doing Half Dome again as well a couple of other yet to be determined hikes) so would probably leave it till then. I had actually considered doing something similar (Mt Lyell is the highest peak) and I guess that could be an option as we could just stay in Lee Vining instead. Will see what happens I guess.
July 18th, 2018 at 12:57:29 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Aussie

We are going to Yosemite 2 days later (doing Half Dome again as well a couple of other yet to be determined hikes) so would probably leave it till then. I had actually considered doing something similar (Mt Lyell is the highest peak) and I guess that could be an option as we could just stay in Lee Vining instead. Will see what happens I guess.

Parts of Yosemite are currently on fire, so I would recommend checking on conditions before committing money and time to a visit.

Not a hike, but if you are in the vicinity of Independence/Lone Pine, check out the Manzanar National Historic Site. It is an interesting insight on WW2 America.

There are also some natural hot springs in the area, but I don't know exactly where they are.
July 18th, 2018 at 2:29:08 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
This is pretty good. I went back to episode 1 and started there. It's better than some million dollar reality shows I tried to watch.

This guy is pretty cool. I'm up to #30.
He has a real style with the video's
and gets better all the time. This is
the best reality show I've seen. I'm
hooked, I hope he makes it. Less
than a third who start the thru hike
actually make it.

Look for Handstand's videos, god
she's gorgeous. I had no idea this
subculture existed, it fascinates me.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 18th, 2018 at 7:38:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
When I did Mount Elbert in CO, I heard people say it was the highest peak in the lower 48, which it's not.

easy to see how they could get confused

Quote:
Mount Elbert is the highest summit of the Rocky Mountains of North America
per wikipedia page

Mt. Whitney is the highest peak in the 48, and is in the Sierra Nevada range

map from https://www.ducksters.com/geography/us_states/us_mountain_ranges.php

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 18th, 2018 at 11:20:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Info for Wiz!

The President is a fink.
July 18th, 2018 at 8:31:26 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
Info for Wiz!

Thanks. Much of that I knew already, but I enjoyed it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 19th, 2018 at 12:07:32 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
A daring helicopter rescue from Mt. Hood was in the news recently. The pilot of the twin rotor Sikorsky had to put the rear wheels down on the steep mountain while keeping the helo level with the front wheels suspended in the air. The craziest part was that he had to back into the landing since the cockpit and bay door are located on the opposite ends of the aircraft.