Did god create the sun twice? (split-off)

Page 5 of 5« First<2345
June 3rd, 2018 at 6:11:56 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Of course Santa is real, how else
can you explain all the presents
under the tree.

I got suspicious when the wrapping paper was the same color and pattern we had in the garage.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 3rd, 2018 at 9:27:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I got suspicious when the wrapping paper was the same color and pattern we had in the garage.

By first grade it seemed farfetched, but even at that age I did not want to rock the boat on a paying proposition.
The President is a fink.
June 3rd, 2018 at 9:56:37 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
By first grade it seemed farfetched, but even at that age I did not want to rock the boat on a paying proposition.

Exactly! Given that your name was immediately moved to the naughty list if you were caught questioning his existence, Pascal's Wager suggested it was positive EV to keep your doubts to yourself.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 3rd, 2018 at 10:27:53 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

1st grade was when I found out. Up
till then it made perfect sense. I hear
that kids are more naive now and some
still believe as late as 3rd grade.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 3rd, 2018 at 10:58:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
1st grade was when I found out. Up
till then it made perfect sense. I hear
that kids are more naive now and some
still believe as late as 3rd grade.

I have heard the opposite. Kids know sooner. My mother said she believed until 4th grade. Around 2nd it stopped making sense, but again, don't question a paying proposition. Maybe that is a sign of how dictatorships happen, who knows. One thing is, when you are the oldest the parents try to keep you in line just a little bit more lest the siblings find out. My sister, though, was told but then still believed the next year.

The Easter Bunny, OTOH, I always had a much harder time with. How a rabbit pulled that all off I could never buy. Along with that when you got your pic with the EB, it was not a rabbit. At least Santa looked the part. Having offshore production at the tax-free North Pole was plausible, even if the toys said "Made In Hong Kong." Adults were good liars about Santa. For the EB it was more "just eat the chocolate!"

Back to Santa, I used to have an old USENET post about scientifically proving him possible. It was neat. Said 5 billion (then) people, but first remove all but Christians. That was over half. Then remove "bad" kids. Then divide the time zones. Someone really put time into it.
The President is a fink.
June 3rd, 2018 at 11:11:46 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I have heard the opposite. Kids know sooner.

FrG made a post a few years ago
that he was speaking to 5th graders
at Xmas and made a reference to
Santa being fake. A few of the students
got very upset and were crying. You
would never have seen that in 1962.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 5 of 5« First<2345