The humble pig

Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »
April 17th, 2018 at 12:46:19 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
But virtually no one could live within their "fair share" of the world's resources. For example, there are 1.2 billion automobiles (not counting small trucks) for a world of roughly 7.5 billion people. How does your family compare with 6 people per automobile as the "fair share".

Your fair share of meat consumption is 4 ounces per day (including bones).

I never said to consume your "fair share." Those who create more can consume more.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 17th, 2018 at 3:29:08 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Wizard
If I started my own religion

well, you already came out with ten commandments!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 17th, 2018 at 5:26:04 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
The main reason the Israelites were prohibited from pork and had all the other dietary restrictions was to be set apart as a people. Same thing with circumcision, sabbath rules ect.
April 17th, 2018 at 7:25:48 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: pew
The main reason the Israelites were prohibited from pork and had all the other dietary restrictions was to be set apart as a people. Same thing with circumcision, sabbath rules ect.

As an inquisitive young lad I asked my (Jewish) religious elders about why we (in theory) don't eat pork, or lobster, etc.... The best answer I ever got was not about safety (trichinosis), but rather that "because God tells us not to. All other answers are guesses". Since so many religious rituals make no inherent sense, why would this one be expected to?
April 17th, 2018 at 8:01:33 AM permalink
pew
Quote: SOOPOO
As an inquisitive young lad I asked my (Jewish) religious elders about why we (in theory) don't eat pork, or lobster, etc.... The best answer I ever got was not about safety (trichinosis), but rather that "because God tells us not to. All other answers are guesses". Since so many religious rituals make no inherent sense, why would this one be expected to?
Exactly, they did it because God told them to. He wanted to mark them and set them apart from all the pagans in the world. I think being Jewish these days is cultural not religious. Most modern day Jews are atheist.
April 17th, 2018 at 8:05:38 AM permalink
pew
The "clean animals" were identified long before Abram (Abraham) was called by God to be the father of a nation of people set apart.
April 17th, 2018 at 10:49:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: pew
Exactly, they did it because God told them to.

Or because they pretended god told
them to. There is no evidence that
there is a god and even less that he
ever told anybody anything.

I with people would stop posting
speculation as facts, it just makes
no sense.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 17th, 2018 at 11:52:05 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I remember a Muslim friend of mind say that pork was not allowed because the pig was a dirty animal. Having looked into once getting a pig as a pet (I didn't) I found out that while they do eat just about anything they are not dirty. They wallow in mud to cool off because they only sweat apparently from their snout.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 17th, 2018 at 12:59:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
They wallow in mud to cool off because they only sweat apparently from their snout.

Keep in mind, too, the hairless pig we're familiar with is the end result of human selection. They have to cope with what we made of them.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 17th, 2018 at 1:02:46 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
Keep in mind, too, the hairless pig we're familiar with is the end result of human selection. They have to cope with what we made of them.

Keep in mind, three, that our white pigs we made don't have the thick, dark hair of their feral brethren necessary to protect from the sun, and they burn just as we do. And since Johnson and Johnson doesn't make pig protection, mud it shall be.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »