Happy Easter!

Page 2 of 19<12345>Last »
April 1st, 2018 at 12:12:09 PM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Happy Easter! Just about ready to cook our Easter lunch as I’m working 2pm to 10pm today.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
April 1st, 2018 at 12:47:24 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Nikos Kazantzakis (18 February 1883 – 26 October 1957) was widely considered a giant of modern Greek literature, he was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature in nine different years. He remained deeply religious Catholic his whole life, but he presented Jesus as a virile man with all the desires of a normal man. Kazantzakis reasoned that Jesus could not have been tempted if he was above human desire. He didn't portray Jesus as having venal desires necessarily, but the desire for a wife (including sex) for family and not to be tortured to death.

That was part of the controversy about The Last Temptation of Christ. I think the story of Jesus overturning the tables of the money changers shows he had human emotions. Anger at least. The shortest verse in the bible is "Jesus wept." One of the mysterious verses of the bible is Jesus' last words, where he says, and I'm paraphrasing, "God, why have you forsaken me?" Liberal Christians tend to say this shows the human side of Jesus and even he had doubts. Conservatives say that the crucifixion was more than god could bear so there was a temporary separation between Jesus and god while he was on the cross. It would probably come as no surprise that in my more religious days I leaned pretty liberal so would have gone with the former interpretation.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 1st, 2018 at 2:05:48 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Some group really suggested that the solution to an inconsistency in the Bible was that there was something that god couldn't bear?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 1st, 2018 at 3:14:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Dalex64
Some group really suggested that the solution to an inconsistency in the Bible was that there was something that god couldn't bear?

It's not an inconsistency I'm referring to, not that there aren't lots of them, but more of a mystery.
April 1st, 2018 at 3:17:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
but more of a mystery.

Black holes are a mystery. The Bible
has no mysteries, just poorly told
myths.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 1st, 2018 at 3:21:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Black holes are a mystery. The Bible
has no mysteries, just poorly told
myths.

Don't you wonder what happened to all the giants?

Quote: Genesis 6:4
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
April 1st, 2018 at 3:24:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Don't you wonder what happened to all the giants?

No more than I wonder what happened
the Paul Bunyan and his blue ox, Babe.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 1st, 2018 at 4:56:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
No more than I wonder what happened
the Paul Bunyan and his blue ox, Babe.

I've always wondered how big Bunyan was. Sometimes he is shown as enormous, like the height of a giraffe, and other times just a very large man, like eight feet tall.

I hope Paco sees this, he seems to know almost everything.
April 1st, 2018 at 5:11:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
I've always wondered how big Bunyan was..

I'd rather read about Paul Bunyan
than anything in the Bible. He's
fun, nothing in the Bible is fun.
Ever notice that Jesus, and all
the buddies of Jesus, have no
sense of humor whatsoever? Why
is that. Because their words are
made up, that's why. They
never said what they're credited
with saying.

Look at Buddhism.

"Humor lies at the heart of Buddhist thought and practice. Indeed, according to Buddhist history, it was a central factor in the enlightenment experience. The art of humor practiced by Buddhism is seeing the subtle delight in everything. It is having a feeling of lightness about oneself. The Buddhist does not take himself seriously for the core reason that he does not feel life to be serious. He sees life as a game and is always willing to play."

It's the opposite of Xtionity. Buddhism wants to
get rid of the ego. Xtionity is all about ME ME
ME, it's the ultimate ego worshiping religion.
It's not real. If it were, it would be loaded with
humor. It has none.
April 1st, 2018 at 8:47:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
nothing in the Bible is fun.

This is probably not the best example, but let's look at this verse, which I'm sure FrG loves:

Quote: Matthew 16:18
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Why did Jesus call Peter a rock? I have heard that in Aramaic Peter's name was similar to the word for rock, and Jesus was making a play on words. Perhaps FrG can comment better.

I find the whole book of Job sort of comedic about this conversation and bet between god and devil. Most Christians probably take it literally so don't see the humor in it, so maybe I'm alone here in being amused by it.
Page 2 of 19<12345>Last »