Happy Easter!

Page 19 of 19« First<16171819
April 15th, 2018 at 10:18:39 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I don't know why but this post sticks in my craw and I feel I have to defend myself. I know it won't be read and have learned the hard way what many people warned me about in regards to Bob, but I just wanted to set the record straight.

Quote: Evenbob

You're judgemental and critical and
obviously think you're oh-so much better
a person than I am. ..., that you consider
yourself to be so above me that you
can sit on your high horse as the god
appointed moral arbiter,

I do make judgements and I am critical of arguments and other positions, surely this is no surprise to Bob or anyone. I am not judgmental though in the sense of attacking the person themselves. I attack the argument.

The key to Bob's outrage seems to come in this oft repeated phrase that he thinks that I think I am so much better than him. This is not the case. I do not know the man beside what he has shared on this forum. I disagree with how he treats the homeless, how he treats Nareed and others on the forum, and many of his moral stances. However, I do not know him and more importantly I do not believe that anyone's mistakes or sins define who they are. I am certain there are many reasons why Bob is the way he is and much is through no fault of his own. I am not a better person than him and I think any of us will get into big trouble the moment we start thinking that way.

Quote:
It's wonderful
that you spent time helping missionaries,
did you get injured patting yourself on the
back about it? You seem to have it in your
holster, ready to draw it out and show what
a terrific person you are.

Of course Bob seems to forget that this was not at all about me, but in response to his attack upon God. He claims that God is doing nothing for those who are starving or sick. I know the opposite is true and gave him an example and he called me a braggard?!?

Quote:
You have no idea the charities I'm involved
with because you never ask. You would never
ask because it galls you that an atheist would
ever be charitable, only 'god' people can do
that.

Ludicrous and untrue statement that Bob consistently brings out even though I have refuted it many times. Sad proof that Bob really didn't seem to pay attention to anything I said that went against his preconceived notions.

Quote:
I certainly can't waste anymore time in serious
conversation with someone who, for no valid
reason, thinks he's so far superior to me.

In retrospect this is probably something I should have said long ago. I don't think Bob thinks he's so far superior to me, but I do think he has no interest in learning anything from anybody or really even listening to what other people might have to say.

Quote:
And yeah, I would give the homeless guy
a buck because he asked for it, and let
him go his way. I don't have the problem
of being a self appointed 'fixer' of other
peoples problems, especially when they
never even asked. I respect the privacy
and dignity of others and don't feel it's
my right to intrude on them because I
consider myself morally superior. You
don't even realize what your 'god' has
turned you into.

This point seemed to be the beginning of the end. He exaggerated my position of smiling at the homeless guy and talking to him about how he is doing as some interrogation and invasion of privacy by a nosy busybody. Nothing could be further from the truth and yet when I repeatedly pointed this out to Bob is like water off a duck's back and he never heard me. He painted it into his picture of me as a judgmental moral snob and the appointed 'fixer' of people. Since we never and will never get a chance to meet it is sad for me to think how wrong he is. He laments what God has turned me into, if he could only see what God has done in my life and who He has turned me into I feel he would have his first credible evidence for God's existence. I regret terribly that even though I know Evenbob is wrong that he can somehow twist our conversations over the years into another hardened shell of ignorance about God, Christianity, and Catholicism. I'm sorry about that very much.

If other's agree with Bob or feel I have missed something please feel free to chime in.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
Page 19 of 19« First<16171819