March for our lives

Page 2 of 14<12345>Last »
March 24th, 2018 at 9:50:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
Who organized this rally and paid for it? It sickens me to turn on the weather on tv and it is some reporter asking teens for advice.

This reminds me of contests they had
in the 60's (maybe still do) where young
kids would write slobbery pie in the
sky essays about how their world would
be sooooo much better than their parents
world in every way. Adults would be weeping
at some of the arrogant little shits words.

40 years later, after a life of 3 divorces, kids
that hate them, addictions to drugs, depression
and attempted suicides, and everything else
that goes wrong in life, we see the best
thing to do when kids like these in the videos
speak, is roll our eyes and say, whatever...
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 24th, 2018 at 10:05:32 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: petroglyph
Who organized this rally and paid for it? It sickens me to turn on the weather on tv and it is some reporter asking teens for advice. Sorry this is what our country has fallen to, asking kids for direction.

Went to a gun show today, as I was walking in what appeared to be appalachian people were coming out. The mother was bitching at her kid because he just told her to go **** herself. The dad a big guy, didn't do anything. Apparently afraid to punish him. In my early reality, kids didn't say that to their mothers.

I watched the second video and it seemed like the gal said it was a black and brown problem, and someone ought to provide them with opportunity.

How many of these kids have jobs?

The Parkland kids organized it, raised the money by selling tshirts online and asking for donations on social media. Most of the DC crowd was local area, but there were over 800 other cities where they marched in solidarity.

The Emma Gonzalez (think that's her name) girl, the one with the shaved head who spoke last, was the lead in doing it. Same girl that did the speech right after the slaughter and got all the sound bite replays for a couple of days.

The acts were all either active in gun control already or reached out to the school kids. There were people from already organized groups for Sandy Hook families, Columbine families, and Chicago anti-gun families.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Jennifer Hudson's mom.and brother were murdered by a gunman, or that Ariana Grande had that terrorist blow people up at her London concert. They both performed today.

The longer the NRA and gun people push off doing something meaningful, the more organized and angrier everybody else is getting. Which means when the dam breaks, it's going to be much worse for them than if they had found common ground after Columbine.
Or after Aurora.
Or after Sandy Hook.
Or after Pulse.
Or after that Texas church.
Or after Virginia Tech.
Or after Charleston AME.
Or after dozens of others.
That junior college on the Oregon coast.
The mall near Seattle.
The mosque in Wisconsin.
The high school in Baltimore.
In Arkansas.
In Atlanta.
In Kentucky.
Or even Las Vegas.

A dog died on a United flight last week after being stuffed in the overhead compartment at the flight attendant's insistence. 48 hours later, there was a bill in front of Congress outlawing pets being put in overhead bins. 1 death of a pet. 2 days.

Thoughts and prayers are plentiful, though. Bless your hearts. I'm sure that matters to the
26,000 dead children and teens
killed with guns since Columbine. The 187,000
children who were in their school when someone came in shooting since Columbine. 19 years of this; no wonder 10 million kids marched today all over the country.

What has that atmosphere done to them, growing up with this stuff happening all the time? Most of us here were adults in 1999; we process it differently. Their outrage is real, and their rejection of it being inevitable, or a "reasonable" price to pay for gun ownership is going to change the conversation. Thank God. About time.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 24th, 2018 at 10:21:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: beachbumbabs
The longer the NRA and gun people push off doing something meaningful, the more organized and angrier everybody else is getting. Which means when the dam breaks, it's going to be much worse for them than if they had found common ground after Columbine.

From what I heard, thousands also registered to vote at the rallies.

It's not necessarily good to create a whole bunch of motivated one issue voters, but that represents the failure, like you say, to do anything useful.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 24th, 2018 at 10:48:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs
26,000 dead children and teens
killed with guns since Columbine..

Remove those killed in Chicago and
killed by suicide and accidentally, what's
that number now.

That's what I thought..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 25th, 2018 at 1:05:27 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
And how would you know this.You were in the room when they "wrote" their speech and noted that their parents, friends, teachers, other adult family and who ever paid for their plane ticket had no input.

They strike me as honest kids
I believe them
Why would they lie?
Just as Trump in on my twitter feed, I also follow the Parkland student leaders
They tweeted about writing their own speeches

Robert Kraft donated the use Patriots Team jet with no strings attached
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 25th, 2018 at 4:52:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

Rally's like this are feel-good highs, they
change nothing. We love our guns, that
will never change.

I did not watch. Were they rallying and making speeches to try to change the violence culture in the schools, or were they just crying to ban guns?
The President is a fink.
March 25th, 2018 at 6:40:35 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I watched some of the speeches yesterday.

I was impressed by their public speaking ability! These kids can't even vote but they can sure read off a speech way better than our current President!

Maybe that's why so many brainless idiots think they're "crisis actors." They're in awe of their skills...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 25th, 2018 at 7:17:10 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: ams288

I was impressed by their public speaking ability! These kids can't even vote but they can sure read off a speech way better than our current President!

Maybe that's why so many brainless idiots think they're "crisis actors." They're in awe of their skills...

Skills?? The speeches remind me of the Miss Universe contestants who's goal in life is to "make the world a better place". Just a bunch of hog wash.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 25th, 2018 at 9:19:43 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288

I was blown away by all the speakers yesterday.
Everybody had compelling stories watching their friends and family killed by guns.
The numbers that showed up in Washington simply blew me away. Estimates are 800k. 200k more then the Trump inauguration. Rallys and marches all over the world.
The times are a changing.
America ok with gay marraige
America ok with pot
America fed up with gun violence
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 25th, 2018 at 9:35:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
What if the Parkland kids are the answer to all those thoughts and prayers after every mass shooting?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 14<12345>Last »