2018 Dead Pool

August 17th, 2018 at 5:57:11 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
Just trying to understand what the statement means.

Never mind. I should know better than to stay out of political threads, unless its something I know a lot about.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 17th, 2018 at 6:35:52 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Ayecarumba
I heard a similar story about John Lennon and “A Hard Days Night”

I can name that song in, ummm, one note.
August 17th, 2018 at 6:36:54 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I don't know how true the story is, but the story goes that Michael Jackson was a Simpsons fan and wanted to do a guest appearance. So he tell the producers, "Put me on and I will write you a hit song." Said it like that as if he could just crank out a hit song at will.

Was that "Lisa it's your birthday"?
August 17th, 2018 at 6:40:34 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: zippyboy
Was that "Lisa it's your birthday"?

IIRC it was the episode. Not sure if that was the ultimate song or not, probably was.

The guy was a nut, but you gotta hand it to someone who promises that with a straight face.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2018 at 10:13:54 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: petroglyph
We have a friend that writes songs in Nashville, has written for several big name artists. One of his songs, "Like a rock" has been recorded by multiple artists. He writes songs, like you said sometimes more than one or two per day, sometimes writers block, he says some of his best songs are written in fifteen minutes.

I think there is a difference between “talent” and “genius”. There are many artists who can grind out songs, but only a few with the gift to produce works of art effortlessly. I caight part of a “60 Minutes” profile on a young musical prodigy. What cracked me up was her father, who had some musical training in his background, initially thought it was his skill as a teacher that was responsible for his daughter being able to play back melodies after only hearing them once.
August 17th, 2018 at 10:44:15 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I think there is a difference between “talent” and “genius”. There are many artists who can grind out songs, but only a few with the gift to produce works of art effortlessly. I caight part of a “60 Minutes” profile on a young musical prodigy. What cracked me up was her father, who had some musical training in his background, initially thought it was his skill as a teacher that was responsible for his daughter being able to play back melodies after only hearing them once.

This was a shorter news version

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 17th, 2018 at 1:09:21 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: rxwine
This was a shorter news version

Thanks, that’s the one, but the short version didn’t include the interview with the father.

Bringing the topic back to this thread, I believe that these prodigies don’t live very long. I wonder if it is because their brains never rest? I’ve got a book about a Hungarian? math prodigy somewhere that backs that up. I’ll have to look for it.
August 17th, 2018 at 2:47:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Bringing the topic back to this thread, I believe that these prodigies don’t live very long. I wonder if it is because their brains never rest? I’ve got a book about a Hungarian? math prodigy somewhere that backs that up. I’ll have to look for it.

I am somewhat convinced the more artistically creative you are the more chance for bad brain wiring.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2018 at 3:02:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I am somewhat convinced the more artistically creative you are the more chance for bad brain wiring.

I must be OK then, I have no artistic
creativity at all..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 17th, 2018 at 3:13:49 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

I'm more than somewhat convinced that those who are gifted in any one area are lacking in others, usually in basic social skills.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber